Help test this logic puzzle

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks. I've created a logic puzzle I hope to use in an upcoming adventure. Could you help me by trying to solve it, and tell me if it is too difficult? Here it is:

Six adventurers are seated around a circular table at a tavern, dividing the treasure from thier recent exploits. They were, going clockwise, a cavelier, a knight, a hunter, a mage, a thief, and a warpriest. 

As they were splitting the loot, they found they had 12 gems, which were four rubies, four sapphires, and four yellow topaz. They decided to take two gems apiece, and each took a different combination of colors.

Neither the knight nor the hunter took a ruby.

The thief shared a color with each of its neighbors.

The mage took at least one yellow topaz.

The hero who took two sapphires sat facing the one who took two rubies.

the knight and cavelier did not share a gem color.

Who took which gems?     

Show
Cavelier - Topaz Topaz
Knight - Saphire Saphire
Hunter - Topaz Saphire
Mage - Topaz Ruby
Thief - Ruby Ruby
Warpriest - Ruby Saphire

If that's correct, it looks like a good puzzle. Have you tested to make sure there aren't alternate solutions?

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
EDIT: I found out how to insert spoiler It was the same solution as the one already posted though.

You should rephrase "the hero" to "the one hero"! 
Maybe it's because I just woke up, but there are two parts that I think are odd

1) There's only one color mentioned, yellow. I read that ruby can be pink to red, so if you assume it is just red, whoever took two rubies does not have two different colors.

2) That leaves sapphires to be any color "non-red and non-yellow". Assume from wikipedia that the possible sapphire colors are : blue, yellow, pink, purple, orange or green. So you could have a yellow saphire, which complicates things.

I guess this info could be acquired through a skill check, but a failed (or succesful) result could mean trouble. It can also be irrelevant as the posters before me solved it.

Good stuff. I might plan a similar logic puzzle for my players tonight.
cav = 1 ruby and 1 top
knight=2 saph
hunt=2 saph
mage=2 top
thief=1 top and 1 ruby
priest=2 ruby?

-edit-

..didnt realize someone solved it, and i wasnt even close.. good stuff though..
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka
cav = 1 ruby and 1 top
knight=2 saph
hunt=2 saph
mage=2 top
thief=1 top and 1 ruby
priest=2 ruby?

That's why you should probably rephrase. I solved it this way first as well. But the puzzle was brilliant. I am usually good at this kind of stuff, but I thought this was a real nut
..nah its cool, I do not mind being wrong, if everyone posts that they solved it in 10 minutes the first time what fun is there in that..
..nah its cool, I do not mind being wrong, if everyone posts that they solved it in 10 minutes the first time what fun is there in that..

Sorry, I was adressing OP. I said he should have rephrased "The hero" to "The one hero". I was not telling you to rephrase your answer. Lol, I'm not THAT douchy
..lol, good times... good times Tongue Out
The answer posted by Tequilasaurus is correct.

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but there are two parts that I think are odd

1) There's only one color mentioned, yellow. I read that ruby can be pink to red, so if you assume it is just red, whoever took two rubies does not have two different colors.

2) That leaves sapphires to be any color "non-red and non-yellow". Assume from wikipedia that the possible sapphire colors are : blue, yellow, pink, purple, orange or green. So you could have a yellow saphire, which complicates things.

I guess this info could be acquired through a skill check, but a failed (or succesful) result could mean trouble. It can also be irrelevant as the posters before me solved it.

Sorry, yes I meant all four sapphires are the same shade of blue, and all four rubies are red. Maybe I should put gem type instead of color to clear up confusion?

And yes I tested it for alternate solutions.  If you take "The thief shared a color with each of its neighbors." to mean the three adventurers have a single gem type in common between them, then there is only one correct solution. This is also true after you figure out the thief took to rubies, so he could only share that gem type with both his neighors.

I was wondering if that clue is too ambiguous.
I did momentarily try to solve it under the assumption he shared one gem type with each neighbor, not with both. I figured out what you meant though. 
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
each took a different combination of colors

Oh got it. You meant each combination was different from the other 5.  I misread that as "the colors in each combination were different".

They decided to take two gems apiece, and each took a different combination of colors.

Neither the knight nor the hunter took a ruby.

The thief shared a color with each of its neighbors.

The mage took at least one yellow topaz.

The hero who took two sapphires sat facing the one who took two rubies.

the knight and cavelier did not share a gem color.

Who took which gems?     

This line is a bit ambiguous. I've had DMs run some great logic puzzle that they are completely obvious and we just sat there with our thumbs up our... you get it. Be ready to toss a hint or two just in case, but otherwise very cool puzzle!
My brother tells me that the hunter could either have a topaz and a saphire or 2 saphires with the warpriest having ruby and saphire or ruby and topaz.

He also tells me its wierd to refer to topaz as yellow topaz and ruby as simply ruby and sahpire as simply saphire. 
Show
58033128 wrote:
I still get bewildered by the idea of Good races and Bad races. I mean, D&D presents a world where there are literally dozens of sentient humanoid races. And then there's a line drawn down the middle, and some races, such as elves, dragonborn and humans, to name but a few, are put on one side and called Good Guys. And with that they are People. They have Rights. And on the other side go a bunch of other races, goblins, orcs, kobolds, and so on. These are called Bad Guys, and as such, they are not People. It is considered ok by many players to track them down and slaughter them. It shatters my suspension of disbelief to see someone who calls their character a hero, a noble sort of person who tries their damnedest to right wrongs and fight evil, making sure that those goblin women and children don't get away, because, you know, they're goblins. They're not just stupid beasts. They have societies, culture and language. They have goals, and motivations. I can believe that someone would kill a drow or an orc at first sight, because they probably were up to something. But don't try to tell me that that was a Good act and that you did it because you are a Good Person. When I'm considering what to do with a group of "bad" humanoids, and I come up with an idea, I mentally replace whatever the "bad guy" of the week is with humans. If it isn't ok to do it to a human, I won't do it to any sentient race.
My Views on the Alignment System:
Show
Killing something because it might be evil = evil Killing something because it might do something evil = evil Killing something because it is planning to do something evil = neutral Killing something because has done something evil = neutral Killing something because it is doing evil = good
The hunter sits across from the warpriest, so if the hunter gets 2 saphires, the warpriest needs 2 rubies. 
I solved it in about 5 minutes, but I'm a veteran logic puzzler.

I think the difficulty is about right for a group of standard players.
I do suggest putting a colour before the names of each gem though, because at the moment it sounds like your putting emphasis on the fact that the topaz is yellow, and that may cause confusion.

Also, The hero who took two sapphires sat facing the one who took two rubies.
You should make it clearer that only ONE of the heroes has two sapphires. Otherwise there may be confusion with a "solution" where both the hunter and the knight have two sapphires.

Otherwise, its a good puzzle so thumbs-up. 

And yes I tested it for alternate solutions.  If you take "The thief shared a color with each of its neighbors." to mean the three adventurers have a single gem type in common between them, then there is only one correct solution. This is also true after you figure out the thief took to rubies, so he could only share that gem type with both his neighors.

I was wondering if that clue is too ambiguous.

If you are still taking feedback, I was confused by this and found a "wrong" answer under the interpretation that he might share one color with one neighbor and a different color with the other neighbor.  It is probably helpful to clarify this clue.

I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.
I solved it in about 5 minutes, but I'm a veteran logic puzzler.

I think the difficulty is about right for a group of standard players.
I do suggest putting a colour before the names of each gem though, because at the moment it sounds like your putting emphasis on the fact that the topaz is yellow, and that may cause confusion.

Also, The hero who took two sapphires sat facing the one who took two rubies.
You should make it clearer that only ONE of the heroes has two sapphires. Otherwise there may be confusion with a "solution" where both the hunter and the knight have two sapphires.

Otherwise, its a good puzzle so thumbs-up. 

and each took a different combination of colors.

If both the hunter and the knight had two sapphires, they wouldn't each have different combinations...
Awesome puzzle! I solved it in 5 minutes, but I've always been good at solving puzzles. It seems a lot of people might overlook the first clue which is "Each took a different combination of colors," or misinterpret some of the clues. I think it's just about the right level of difficulty. I'm gonna have to steal this puzzle and use it in my game ;)
Sign In to post comments