6 years and i decided it was time to come back to play...

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi there,

as the title says, i was away from the MTG scene for a few years (6, to be more exact) and just felt like coming back to play a few games

i need a few heads up with some deck choices before i throw myself into the lions

i got the humanity's vengeance deck and the following extra cards:

3x Blade Splicer
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Day of Judgment
2x Glacial Fortress
3x Mirran Crusader
3x Moorland Haunt
3x Phyrexian Metamorph

i don't really have much of an idea of how the deck should go but by looking at the cards i believe it's a token/control kind of deck

i would appreaciate a few tips on what to change the main deck to make it minimally competitive when i decide to throw myself to the lions next weekend

i can spend another 100quid in singles if i have to-- i'm not sure if many decks on the scene are creature heavy as i haven't got the time to go through all the powerhouses and how they play-- i tend to favour control over combat when i play and counters over control spells so would like a bit of help keeping that type of gameplay

i only start reading about the game last night and i'm half way down through rules (no more stack!?) and the new abilities and naming, so please don't cut too much on corners when explaining something-- i'm not slow but i might not understand certain shorthanded names :D

i saw another topic about the same but decided not to post there as the fella seemed to have an idea of where to go and i would feel like i was hijacking the thread more than contributing

thanks in advance for the help guys
Hey there

I wouldn't worry about the token side of things too much. Try to get 4 Delver of Secrets if you plan on playing humans. It's one of the best cards in standard right now. If you're going U/W, get 4 Seachrome Coast too.

Also, there is still a stack, don't worry! Haha, damage doesn't go on the stack during combat anymore, that's all.

It seems like you want to play aggressively, so I wouldn't use Day of Judgment simply because it also kills your own dudes. Oblivion Ring is an excellent choice for white removal spells.
Ignore the last poster. Delver is played in a specific deck type. The fact that he's human doesn't mean you automatically include him in a Humans deck.

The stack still exists, by the way. Combat damage just doesn't use it anymore.
thanks for the replies

regarding stacks i meant in combat, yes-- i just stumbled with double-strikes/regeneration-shields and whatnot

about the delvers, i got the impression it was a slightly different deck and i'd say i'm missing a couple of those blueish (veryo expensiveyo) cards

i've been looking for articles that people might have wrote about how to improve this deck but not much luck-- if anyone can throw a bone (or a link) would be great :D or maybe this deck just didn't get much love when it comes to tweak it
Eh, yeah. Thinking on it I'm not sure why I suggested Delver. You wouldn't have enough instants/sorceries to flip him reliably. My bad.
White or UW Humans can be really good, and you have most of what you need.

Champion is a great one drop, and goes really nicely with Gather the Townsfolk.  You can also run a couple Doomed Traveler as another 1cmc guy.  Legionnaire is a pretty solid 2 or 3 drop guy, and Crusader is certainly good as a four-of.  Fiend Hunter is also really good, I'd say certainly worth two or three.

Honor of the Pure is good stuff. 

You're basically looking to be fast and resilient.  Moorland Haunt really helps with the long game.

I'd basically just modify the event deck by cutting the chaff stuff (Smuggler, most of the Lawkeepers, Pilgrim, etc) for more nuts dudes like Blade Splicer, Crusader, Champion and the Gathers.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
thanks for the replies guys

at the moment, the following is the playlist i came up with-- let me know if there's mistakes right of the bat and how would you guys tweak it before shuffling the deck and giving it a go

(24) Lands

4x Glacial Fortress
3x Moorland Haunt
8x Island
9x Plains

(24) Creatures

4x Blade Splicer
4x Mirran Crusader
2x Fiend Hunter
2x Gideon's Lawkeeper
2x Phyrexian Metamorph
3x Nearheath Pilgrim
3x Tandem Lookout

(12) Spells

4x Mana Leak
4x Negate
4x Dismember

please remember that this is just my idea put down on paper-- i know i should be doing a lot more of homework but please bear with me while i'm trying to figure this out instead of just go look for something done already and copy it

:D
I would get ride of the pilgrims,the lookouts,and the metamorphs and replace them with card like elite vanguard,gather the townsfolk,ponder,vapor snag,or hero of bladehold.also u defintly want to get 4x seacrome coast if your playing a blue white deck that wants to get out of the gates fast then it's a must have.you also could probly shave 2 nagate.mabey replace them with oblivion ring
thanks for the input

i feel that metamorphs could be pretty useful and i think should even be running 3 (up from 2,) instead of leaving them out alltogether-- anyone with a bit of insight there ?

i wonder if it's possible to let me know about who's replacing who-- when you say "get rid of the pilgrims (...)" and replace them with cards like "(...)" some of those cards are sorceries that will replace creature spells so i don't really know why should i be doing it

at 20quid a seachrome coast, it's not that i don't want to get them-- i just rather put those 80euro in other cards and slowly get them magic lands

i haven't yet quite understood how to use deck-stats but i'll get there :D

so, this is another (possible) version with some of the changes-- the deck is sounding more like a WW everytime i get new posts hehehehe

(24) Lands

4x Glacial Fortress
4x Seachrome Coast
2x Moorland Haunt
7x Island
7x Plains

(24) Creatures

4x Elite Vanguard
4x Blade Splicer
4x Mirran Crusader
2x Hero of Bladehold
3x Fiend Hunter
3x Phyrexian Metamorph

(12) Spells

4x Mana Leak
3x Negate
2x Dissipate
3x Dismember

any thoughts ?

*edit* frek it ! bit the bullet and ordered the seachromes 
What about something like gather the townsfolk instead of mana leak. Gives you cheap blockers and pumps your champion up two on turn two.

There's also riders of gavony against themed decks.

Any of the swords are powerful but they are rotating in 4 months.

Instead of elite vangaurd how about wingcrafter as that can give evasion to your creatures.

Blade splicer seems a little out of place as she usually likes to be in decks that can abuse her etb effect. How about Geist-Honored Monk as a finisher or mentor of the meek to help draw more cards
Looking good!  I personally think 9 counters is too much.  Try out putting the negates and dissipates in the sideboard and add in 4x ponder and 1x hero of bladehold!  
i almost forgot how much fun it was to build decks while waiting for cards to arrive, put them into sleeves, grab a couple dice and go out and play...

... anyways, after the last tips, it's looking something like:

(24) Lands

4x Glacial Fortress
4x Seachrome Coast
2x Moorland Haunt
7x Island
7x Plains

(24) Creatures

4x Elite Vanguard
4x Blade Splicer
4x Mirran Crusader
3x Hero of Bladehold
3x Wingcrafter
2x Phyrexian Metamorph

(12) Spells

3x Mana Leak
2x Negate
3x Ponder
2x Divine Offering
2x Dismember

i figured i should go with divine offering main deck given everybody and their mom's are playing delver decks-- moved a couple counters out for ponder and made some space in the creature side for another hero

hope this is getting close to something looking very (very) playable :D

I would take out the divine offerings and dismembers and place in Oblivion Ring. It is a much more versitile card, and won't cost you 4 life to cast. It can also take care of planeswalkers for you.
^ what he said.  O rings are pretty staple and are really cheap to get.  If you can you should pick up 2-3 of them.  Other than that the list looks extremely playable in a competitive enviornment.  You can probably do better than Wingcrafter though.  
i think i see what you both mean-- i do have some rings that came in maindeck but i side them out while building the spell list

the wingcrafter was there for evasion

with a 3rd hero of bladehold that might take a while to arrive on the post, taking out 3x wingcrafters and maybe the 2x phyrexian metamorphs, i've a few spots available in the creature section-- what would guys chose to fill those 6 spots ?

at the spells section, removing the 2x divine offerings and  2x dismembers i'm left with 4 spots to fill-- i'd go with 3x oblivion rings and maybe another mana leak until i get something else

would you guys use a planeswalker to fill that one spot ?