Wolf Run Blue

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright well at about 5am Friday moornign I threw this together for FNM, and while I went 4-0-2 to get first place, I think the deck could be a lot better...

The deck performed well, though I never saw the Wurmcoil and Huntmaster was sub-par at best all night.  Dungeon Geist was a beast and Volition Reins was surprisingly better than expected.  I was just curious what advice everyone had for me on future iterations of this deck...
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Maybe the Metamorphs in the main? And maxing out the solemns?

But other than that it looks good. Why was Huntmaster sub-par?
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Maybe the Metamorphs in the main? And maxing out the solemns?

But other than that it looks good. Why was Huntmaster sub-par?

Well to start I think I only cast him 3 times maybe the whole night.  And each time it was only for the sole factor of having a blocker.  The deck really is wanting the early titans, so there is not normally a whole lot I can personally do about flipping him without hindering my own personal endgame.  I just ended up being underwhelmed by him almost all night.  Whereas Dungeon Geist just performed on the whole far better whenever I sided it in, buy providing me with an aggressive body and removing an attacker/blocker from my opponents side of the board.  And after that, no additional work was required to get the full value from geist.  Something was tapped and he attacked hopefully once or twice.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
There's a whole lot of surprise factor in this list, I like that. The metamorphs sound like a good call, sa well as phantasmal image. What do your typical opening hands look like? It feels like there should be more going on t1 than ponder, though. Maybe birds?  
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
There's a whole lot of surprise factor in this list, I like that. The metamorphs sound like a good call, sa well as phantasmal image. What do your typical opening hands look like? It feels like there should be more going on t1 than ponder, though. Maybe birds?  

My favorite opening hands had 2-3 lands, at least one accelerant, a ponder, pillar, and fatty.  Surprisingly I hit those types of hands more often tan I would have though which was really nice having the pillars early.  about the only card that feels bad in an opening hand is Glimmerpost for obvious reasons.

I have been thinking about some number of Birds, GSZ, and maybe an additional target or two like an acidic slime

Editted original list.
Sign In to post comments