Critical Hits

I like the simplicity of simply doing max damage.

However, you need to make sure dice rolls make up a solid portion (possibly the majority) of the damage.  Otherwise they really arn't going to mean anything.

For instance... 
If the fighter does 2d6 + 90, crit's aren't going to mean much to him.

Now the rogue doing 20d6 + 10, will have crit's that are noticeable, yet not overwhelming.

Another advantage of only doing max dice is that you can allow more crits.  Since even a fully diced damage (10d8 + 0) will do ~75% more damage (10d8 + 25 would crit for 50% more).  So compaired to the 3x of 3.5, and the ~2x damge of 4e, you can reasonably have 15-20 crit rates (at a significant cost).  Which would be fun.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I like the simplicity of simply doing max damage.

However, you need to make sure dice rolls make up a solid portion (possibly the majority) of the damage.  Otherwise they really arn't going to mean anything.

Very true. 4e could do max damage crits because there were so many things that did multiple weapon dice of damage, and because magic weapons rolled (non-maxed) dice of damage on criticals. In a more 3.5 style of play with mostly static damage modifiers, crits become really unexciting.
I'm getting the feeling that we won't see any crazy +30 or more damage bonuses with this edition. Just look at the ogre, he only hits for +6 damage.
It occurs to me that doubling the maximum possible damage is more appropriate for critical damages. So if your damage is like 1d8 + 5, you can crit for 2x(8+5)= 26 damage. Crit chance is generally 1/20 and with this current design, you can do the same damage in 1/8 chance with your sword anyway (slightly lower probability because you need to hit, but still way more possible than rolling a 20). The critical damage definitely needs to be increased.
It occurs to me that doubling the maximum possible damage is more appropriate for critical damages. So if your damage is like 1d8 + 5, you can crit for 2x(8+5)= 26 damage. Crit chance is generally 1/20 and with this current design, you can do the same damage in 1/8 chance with your sword anyway (slightly lower probability because you need to hit, but still way more possible than rolling a 20). The critical damage definitely needs to be increased.

Start factoring in multiple-die damage rolls and that skews back in the direction of making sense thanks to the wonders of the bell curve. Also wait to see what they do with maneuvers and magical weapons. If the designers stick to their "combat should be fast because teh roelplayinz!" trend, I expect to see a maneuver system that mimics 4eE martial characters, including die-multipliers on whatever their Power Strike analog ends up being.

The idea here is that a crit is a nice boost to your damage output but won't also instagib a PC if a monster lands a crit on them. Having played with this system in 4e for years, it works well. Crits are still exciting, but a single critical hit won't irrevocably swing an entire encounter as happened in 3.x.

We'll also see what happens from here on. I think the crit system was different in every single version of the internal playtest that I saw, so it's obviously something they haven't settled on yet.
As a long time fan of weapons such as the falchion and rapier, I actually miss crit ranges more than I do crit multipliers. There used to be a strategic advantage to choosing particular weapons (ex: a falchion having an 18-20 crit range and two damage dice), but now that whole dynamic is gone.

On the upside, I do think that not having to roll to confirm a critical would expedite things a bit.
I'm hoping they bring back some of the crit range weapons (scimitar and rapier were my faves for crits)...I like the max damage system better than the multiplier as well.

It seemed silly to me to think that I hit a monster, effectively, twice on a crit. Crits are meant to show a "darned good hit," and I think maximizing damage covers that. Besides, in my group...we've gotten some pretty ridiculous 1-hit-kills on crits using multipliers. 
My group felt that critical hits were rather weak and not particularly awe-inspiring.

I think crit ranges really need to make a comeback--especially if the critical hits are limited to maximum damage.
it's a hard thing to balance out a crit system. The max damage system is pretty nice, but it doesn't allow for the "SWEET!" that a multiplyer does.  the multiplyer can do both an ungodly high or low amount of damage. if you get a multiplied crit and roll a 2 for damage it sucks. if you role at max it seems a bit over powered (especially if it happens to you.).

How about this? You do max damage + strength modifier+ an aditional number that is set low or high depending on what the DM and Players want. I'd suggest around a +2 but some might go as high as a +5 or more. 
Why not do a "multiplier" system that doesn't actually multiply damage dice roll, but does additional dice of damage based on what the percieved "multiplier" should be.

This was similar to a house rule for my 3.5 group. Instead of rolling damage and doing multiplying x2, x3, or x4....you instead picked up the appropriately multiplied number of dice and rolled that, and adding in the x2, x3, or x4 non-dice damage.
An idea i heard, which i like alot better, is to have special stuff hapen on a crit.

Like, if a cleric crits, everyone gains a few HP.
If the fighter crits, the target is prone.
If the rogue crits, the target grant's advantage.
If the wizard crits...  well... i dunno.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

In my 4e game, I like to add conditions and let the player choose what he or she wants.   My rule goes like this:

Crit scores max damage plus one of the following:

1) roll d10 extra damage
2) apply a wound (-2 to all actions until magical healing is administered)
3) trip foe
4) push foe back up to 10'

The monsters usually just add the d10 damage.  Players like to choose based on foe and situation.

A Brave Knight of WTF

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog