Vela the Night-Clad EDH

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I wanted to share my latest EDH deck, the deck is based around Vela the Night-Clad and is fully inspired by the Planechase deck, when approaching this decks design it was obvious as to which way I wanted to build it, I wanted as many ninja's as I could, having some cool "enters the battlefield" effects and a few evasive creatures, what follows is the build I am currently playing, enjoy..

Commander - Vela the Night-Clad

Creatures (38)

Ninja of the Deep Hours
Mistblade Shinobi
Walker of Secret Ways
Higure, the Still Wind
Sakashima's Student
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Skullsnatcher
Throat Slitter
Okiba-gang Shinobi
Silent-Blade Oni
Mulldrifter
Hoverguard Sweepers
Sower of Temptation
Venser, Shaper Savant 
Deadeye Navigator
Nephalia Smuggler
Vedalken Mastermind
Phyrexian Ingester
Kederekt Leviathan
Bone Shredder
Nekrataal
Dark Hatchling
Faceless Butcher
Liliana's Specter
Big Game Hunter
Cavern Harpy
Doomsday Specter
Sedraxis Alchemist
Shriekmaw
Solemn Simulacrum
Duplicant
Mnemonic Wall
Aether Figment
Dimir Infiltrator
Inkfathom Infiltrator
Latch Seeker
Gravedigger
Tormented Soul

Spells 22

Dimir Signet
Whispersilk Cloak
Quietus Spike
Cloudstone Curio
Conjurer's Closet
Crystal Shard
Erratic Portal
Part the Veil
Evacuation
Devastation Tide
Hinder
Spell Crumple
Familiar's Ruse
Train of Thought
Brainstorm
Ashes to Ashes
Doom Blade
Go For The Throat
Sign in Blood
Phyrexian Arena
Rise From the Grave
Beacon of Unrest

Lands (39)

Dimir Aqueduct
Dreadship Reef
Tainted Isle
Underground River
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse 
Command Tower
Rupture Spire
Reflecting Pool
Cabal Coffers
Vivid Marsh
Vivid Creek
Halimar Depths 
Bojuka Bog
Temple of the False God
Barren Moor
Lonely Sandbar
River of Tears
Darkwater Catacombs
10 Island
10 Swamp
Rather than Phantom Warrior or some of your weird shadow/phasing fliers, try Inkfathom Infiltrator or Tormented Soul. It could make your curve a lot more efficient. I definitely love the mass bounce effects you have alongside Vela. That could lead to some big life loss for the opponent. I like this deck overall, I think I'll be giving it a try once Planechase comes out

Also I would try to use some cards such as Mnemonic Wall or others like it alongside the many spells UB has to offer. I would try to get some of those engines in the deck in place of some of the many Dark Hatchling style cards you have. Imagine being able to continuously replay your versatile removal such as Go for the Throat.
Rather than Phantom Warrior or some of your weird shadow/phasing fliers, try Inkfathom Infiltrator or Tormented Soul. It could make your curve a lot more efficient. I definitely love the mass bounce effects you have alongside Vela. That could lead to some big life loss for the opponent. I like this deck overall, I think I'll be giving it a try once Planechase comes out

Also I would try to use some cards such as Mnemonic Wall or others like it alongside the many spells UB has to offer. I would try to get some of those engines in the deck in place of some of the many Dark Hatchling style cards you have. Imagine being able to continuously replay your versatile removal such as Go for the Throat.

Personally I am not a fan of playing defensive creatures that do nothing but chump block, plus defenders don't interact with the ninja's whereas every other creature in this deck can easily turn into a ninja and some are dedicated to helping us keep the 1 life going for as long as possible.
Phasing doesn't trigger Vela's ability, so you probably aren't going to want to include Shimmering Efreet
Phasing doesn't trigger Vela's ability, so you probably aren't going to want to include Shimmering Efreet

I thought it didn't but my friend was convinced and had me convinced otherwise lol, as it has been sometime since we played anything with phasing Tongue Out, looks like I will be adding in Tormented Soul instead.
Yeah, Phasing only causes the creature to be considered as though it "doesn't exist" for a turn. Anyway, there is a card coming in M13 called Archaeomancer, it's a 2UU 1/2 Wizard with the Mnemonic Wall effect. That'll be a nice addition perhaps.

Yeah, Phasing only causes the creature to be considered as though it "doesn't exist" for a turn. Anyway, there is a card coming in M13 called Archaeomancer, it's a 2UU 1/2 Wizard with the Mnemonic Wall effect. That'll be a nice addition perhaps.

That card will no doubt will be tested in my Vela EDH, although you could make an arguement for Mnemonic Wall then,  that you might as well pay the one mana more and have it not attack if Archaeomancer is only a 1/2, as I can't see a bunch of times I would be attacking and "upgarding" Archaeomancer to a ninja myself, so if Archaeomancer is more useful as a blocker and if we are happy with it as a blocker we might as play Mnemonic Wall instead.

Updated deck list added in Mnemonic Wall plus other stuff thats been suggested and I have thought of adding myself.
Semantics perhaps, but you could use Invisible Stalker instead of the Tormented soul.

Also, I gotta say, I really like the idea of this deck and the interractions you have going between creatures.  Are you running on a budget?  If not, you could add things like Umezawa's Jitte and Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Light and Shadow and Sword of Feast and Famine.

Kudos regardless.

Cheers,

Malph
Semantics perhaps, but you could use Invisible Stalker instead of the Tormented soul.

Also, I gotta say, I really like the idea of this deck and the interractions you have going between creatures.  Are you running on a budget?  If not, you could add things like Umezawa's Jitte and Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of Light and Shadow and Sword of Feast and Famine.

Kudos regardless.

Cheers,

Malph

Yes unfortunatley I am on a budget and those cards aren't exactly cheap although every last one is insanely good, I like Invisible Stalker myself but want to try out Tormented Soul first.
The deck seems pretty frail though. There are not alot of strong beaters in the deck and removal is pretty average. I like the concept, but it just seems like there are too many weak creatures to make any sort of impact on the game.
The deck seems pretty frail though. There are not alot of strong beaters in the deck and removal is pretty average. I like the concept, but it just seems like there are too many weak creatures to make any sort of impact on the game.

Thanks for your input, the problem with having good beaters is that then with good beaters we would then have no need to play our ninja's nor would we be inclined to bounce our creatures as they would be better on the battlefield, also Vela gives all our creatures intimidate which can be pretty evasive, the idea of the deck which I think you may be missing is to have effects that directly abuse vela's ability, therefore we need smaller evasive creatures so its not so hard on our mana to recast them if we bounced them.

The removal is average? I am not sure what you was expecting from a deck that isn't focused on the graveyard?

Vela's ability seems to me, better suited to bounce, ninjitsu and flicker effects, the removal suite is based around spot removal we only use the mass bounce spells when we can do significant life loss to our opponents or in the case of Part the Veil in response to our opponents mass removal spells. With having smaller casting costs we can recover better by adding more threats than our opponents can from when we cast our mass bounce spells.
Fair enough. I really like Vela and the Ninjas,  so I might use your deck as a sort of base to build upon.  And you are right. Having a huge beater go down is a set back for most decks, but this one seems to do better since you can recast all your Ninja's.

But I might add some more removal, that's just my preferance though. 
Some of these Artifact creatures can take advanatge of intimidate.
Myr Battlesphere - You get 4 1/1 Tokens everytime it enters the battlefield. On its on, you can rack up a number of tokens, pump this creature up, and deal some burn damage.
Pilgrim's Eye - Every time you play it, you can fetch a basic land.
Precursor Golem - get two 3/3 Golems each time you play this creature.

Nemesis Mask - This Equipment draws all other creatures to block it leaving the rest open to strike. Use this when facing Artifact, Blue, and Black creatures.
Ronin Warclub and Sai of the Shinobi could be used to boost up any of the Ninjas you drop in.

Nether Shadow and Nether Traitor these cards are a must have for Ninja. They are both cheap for BB, have Haste, Shadow for evasion, and they can both return to the game from the graveyard. 
Some of these Artifact creatures can take advanatge of intimidate.
Myr Battlesphere - You get 4 1/1 Tokens everytime it enters the battlefield. On its on, you can rack up a number of tokens, pump this creature up, and deal some burn damage.
Pilgrim's Eye - Every time you play it, you can fetch a basic land.
Precursor Golem - get two 3/3 Golems each time you play this creature.

Nemesis Mask - This Equipment draws all other creatures to block it leaving the rest open to strike. Use this when facing Artifact, Blue, and Black creatures.
Ronin Warclub and Sai of the Shinobi could be used to boost up any of the Ninjas you drop in.

Nether Shadow and Nether Traitor these cards are a must have for Ninja. They are both cheap for BB, have Haste, Shadow for evasion, and they can both return to the game from the graveyard. 

Myr Battlesphere is a card that has already been suggested by a friend of mine to have at least one "big swinger" as he puts it which he is right when he says it also is scary good with Deadeye Navigator, I am playing Solemn Simualcrum as he is better than Pilgrim's Eye in my opinion, Precursor Golem is an intresting choice and may include it.

Nemesis Mask is an intresting card, but in my opinion we don't want to have our opponents be able to block anything, we want to win through a combination of Evasion and Vela's life loss. Ronin Warclub and Sai of the Shinobi/ are both equipment I haven't considered for the deck, but I wouldn't be inclinded to include Sai of the Shinobi as an extra point of damage I have found isn't that significant, unless our opponents are already almost dead.

Nether Shadow and Nether Traitor are cards that I haven't considered either, both are easy to recast, but only one has evasion, so even though the self recurring thing is cool only one of them has the potential to "upgrade" to a ninja.
I feel like Shadowmage Infiltrator has a place in this deck.  Also, Draining Whelk, who would love to be a reusable counterspell and just gets silly with Deadeye Navigator.
I feel like Shadowmage Infiltrator has a place in this deck.  Also, Draining Whelk, who would love to be a reusable counterspell and just gets silly with Deadeye Navigator.

Both amazing card choices, although Draining Whelk is a card I wouldn't include in this deck, not because its bad its not, but because it creates in my opnion a stale game enviorment where everyone is afraid to cast spells because of the combo between this and Deadeye Navigator, and thats not "fun" for anyone other than the guy playing the combo, its the same reason why a card like Sundering Titan is missing from the list, I try to keep a certain amount of "power" out of my EDH decks as to keep them "fun" and "beatable", also I am already pushing my luck where my Magic group is concerned by playing Venser, Shaper Savant, I don't want to be banned from Magic by friends because I am playing "unfun" counterspell creatures.
Nemesis Mask works if you use it on expendable tokens. Mostly it's meant if you face players who can block your intimidate creatures.

Buyback cards to look at.
Corpse Dance - Revive a creature, it gets Haste, and bounce it before it gets exile.
Disturbed Burial - Fetch back Ninjas to the hand over and over.
Slaughter - Reusable creature removal.

Shadow Creatures to look over.
Thalakos Seer
Thalakos Dreamsower
Thalakos Deceiver
Stronghold Rats - This one makes all the players discard. If you have a steady draw rate to stay ahead.
Stronghold Overseer - You can use its activation effect to reduce the Power of non-Shadow creatures when the opponent swings for a direct attack.
Looter il-Kor

These both grant Shadow until the end of the turn.
Dauthi Embrace
Dauthi Trapper

Other come into play cards you should look at.
Cadaver Imp
Cephalid Sage
Cloud of Faeries
Dread Cacodemon
Reiver Demon
Elgaud Shieldmate
Entomber Exarch
Great Whale
Massacre Wurm
Mist Raven
Neurok Invisimancer
Peregrine Drake
Rune-Scarred Demon
Sower of Temptation
Tandem Lookout
Vendilion Clique
Whirlpool Drake

Nemesis Mask works if you use it on expendable tokens. Mostly it's meant if you face players who can block your intimidate creatures.

Buyback cards to look at.
Corpse Dance - Revive a creature, it gets Haste, and bounce it before it gets exile.
Disturbed Burial - Fetch back Ninjas to the hand over and over.
Slaughter - Reusable creature removal.

Shadow Creatures to look over.
Thalakos Seer
Thalakos Dreamsower
Thalakos Deceiver
Stronghold Rats - This one makes all the players discard. If you have a steady draw rate to stay ahead.
Stronghold Overseer - You can use its activation effect to reduce the Power of non-Shadow creatures when the opponent swings for a direct attack.
Looter il-Kor

These both grant Shadow until the end of the turn.
Dauthi Embrace
Dauthi Trapper

Other come into play cards you should look at.
Cadaver Imp
Cephalid Sage
Cloud of Faeries
Dread Cacodemon
Reiver Demon
Elgaud Shieldmate
Entomber Exarch
Great Whale
Massacre Wurm
Mist Raven
Neurok Invisimancer
Peregrine Drake
Rune-Scarred Demon
Sower of Temptation
Tandem Lookout
Vendilion Clique
Whirlpool Drake

I like Disturbed Burial, not to keen on Slaughter and Corpse Dance seems only better than Disturbed Burial if I can bounce my guy, I do play graveyard recursion but I really like both recursion spells in my deck as they allow me flexiabilty to either grab mine or one of my opponents.

Thalakos Seer awesome works very well with this deck draw a card and loss of life sounds nice to me, Thalakos Dreamsower not so keen on this guy, Thalakos Deceiver a nice ability on this guy and if we was playing Disturbed Burial a prime target, Stronghold Rats I am not confident that this would be effective for me.
Stronghold Overseer I like the thinking but is only good v's one opponent all of my commander games are with at least 3 opponents sometimes 4, Looter il-Kor I was orignally playing this guy took him out he just didn't seem to fit the deck fir some reason.

Dauthi Embrace and Dauthi Trapper nice choices I like the idea and may have to consider incorporating it over the Nemesis Mask idea.

Cadaver Imp Completly forgot about this guy, see you later Gravedigger.
Cephalid Sage this deck doesn't really want discard effects as its not graveyard based our cards are better either in our hand or on the battlefield.
Cloud of Faeries is currently banned by my Magic group to discourage "combo EDH" decks.
Dread Cacodemon is too hard on our mana to keep bouncing and has no interaction with Deadeye Navigator, I try to make my higher casting cost stuff have interactions with Deadeye Navigator because of the harshness on our mana base, same with Reiver Demon. Elgaud Shieldmate intresting very intresting not looked at Soulbond to be honest.
Entomber Exarch seems solid.
Great Whale banned by my Magic group, free untap lands are banned by my magic group as they just aren't fun and generally lead players into combo EDH decks.
Massacre Wurm awesome sign me up.
Mist Raven I prefer Venser, Shaper Savant in this slot.
Neurok Invisimancer nice I like this card seems great.
Peregrine Drake same as before free untap lands are banned by my magic group.
Rune-Scarred Demon amazing card forgot about him.
Sower of Temptation already in my EDH deck.
Tandem Lookout like him ALOT.
Vendilion Clique another amazing card. 
Whirlpool Drake
 I kinda like this card.
Puppeteer Clique - this one you can revive a creature from the opponent's graveyard for a short time.
Puppeteer Clique - this one you can revive a creature from the opponent's graveyard for a short time.

I like this card and will have to play it, I can imagine annoying friends in a good way when after attacking with thier own creature getting it paired with Deadeye Navigator so their creature stays around.. 

Sealed
Day of the Dragons - So you exile all your creatures for a bunch of 5/5 Red Dragon creatures and Vela life loss. Then when this leaves the battlefield, you get all your exile creatures back which triggers their in play abilities.

Dire Undercurrents - Draw a card for a Blue creature. Make an opponent discard a card for a Black creature.
LMAO -  Day of the Dragons made me laugh out loud.  That's brilliantly tricksie.

Infinite Reflection and a kicked Rite of Replication is an autowin card for your deck. You get multiple copies of her, Legend rules apply, and the opponent suffer a mass life loss for each copy that dies.
@Singe: Day of the Dragons is a "win more" card in my eyes and I really don't particually like Day of the Dragons.

Infinte Reflection is cute and I can't see me playing it, also Rite of Replication I find is best saved for copying the absolute "best cards" which again I can't see my deck needing it, it doesn't help the deck win, it like Day of the Dragons are "win more" cards and i try to stay away from win more and focus on just winning, but thank you all the same.
I like it a lot! If I had the card base I would copy it.
I play all colours at one point but Black, Red and Blue are my favourites. Canadian, Eh! Insanity is my theme! dummy2205's Comprehensive Index of Generals
For Rite of Replication, look no farther than targeting your enter the battlefield ability activation creatures.

Massacre Wurm to -10/-10 opponents across the board and make them lose 12 life for each creature.

Ones that draw like Mulldrifter can net you a 10 card draw. Hoverguard Sweepers to bounce 10 creatures. Sower of Temptation to steal 5 creatures. Dark Hatchling to kill 5 creatures. Phyrexian Ingester to munch down 5 creatures and pump them up. etc.

Phyrexian Metamorph - it can copy any creature or artifact. You can pay 3 and 2 life to summon it. You can copy enter the battlefield trigger creatures.
Fool's Demise enchant an opponent's creature. Kill it to revive the creature and get this back.
No Training Grounds?

Training Grounds only affects Creature permanents you control. It won't work on Ninjutsu, since that is an activated ability of a creature CARD in your hand.
Here are some multicolor cards to look over.

Helm of the Ghastlord
Ghastlord of Fugue
Dream Salvage
Lim-Dûl's Vault
Marsh Crocodile
Mask of Riddles
Memory Plunder
Mindleech Mass
Moroii
Soul Manipulation
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Wydwen, the Biting Gale
Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Training Grounds only affects Creature permanents you control. It won't work on Ninjutsu, since that is an activated ability of a creature CARD in your hand.

Oh, huh. Learn something new everyday, thanks.
Coastal Piracy
I realize this is over a year old but I run a similar deck and I just wanted to say I think the decision to cut the Augury Owl and Baleful Strix (!!!!) out is wrong. They're both cheap evasive creatures with really nice ETB effects and they're both in the Vela Plane Chase pack so you should have your copies of each. Baleful Strix is one of the best 2 drop creatures ever printed imo on it's own, but the ETB/evasion synergizes so well with the deck and Augury Owl's scry 3 just always seems fairly relevant, but esp. in EDH. You can drop it early and stack deck so you hit your early landfalls, bounce a ninja off it sometime and then recast later to ensure you aren't getting flooded or something down the road.