Grixis Control (Post M13)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pretty simple, here's a short list I threw together for a Grixis Control build, post M13 (to include Bolas, so far).  As more cards are revealed, this list may very well change.

Let me know what you think.

Sideboard in the works, of course.  I made this list based on cards in my collection.  I'd like to put Tamiyo in here, which I might do to make it legal before M13. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
I mean, I know M13 spoiler season is starting, but isn't this a little premature?
I mean, I know M13 spoiler season is starting, but isn't this a little premature?

Did you read anything I wrote?  This is a list I made with cards I had, and I am incorporating M13 cards as they are revealed. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
GTFO.

1) Nicol Bolas is overcosted and unplayable in the first place.

2) We have no idea of the content of M13, how the metagame will look, and what the important cards will be. Cool your jets and wait until we actually know something before you start trying to build for it, especially a CONTROL deck which intrinsically needs to know what the metagame is before you can build it properly anyway. 
GTFO.

2) We have no idea of the content of M13, how the metagame will look, and what the important cards will be. Cool your jets and wait until we actually know something before you start trying to build for it, especially a CONTROL deck which intrinsically needs to know what the metagame is before you can build it properly anyway. 

Exactly this.  I've always despised people posting "Such-and-Such Deck:  Post-Rotation."  There's no point since the meta can change drastically so quickly.
GTFO.

Exactly this.  I've always despised people posting "Such-and-Such Deck:  Post-Rotation."  There's no point since the meta can change drastically so quickly.

In the OP's defence, this isn't a "post-rotation" deck (that's even worse!); it just includes cards from M13, since M12/SOM don't rotate until RTR comes out in October.
Guys cool your jets I'm posting a deck idea.  There are no rules about including future set cards that we know are coming out.

And like I said, I'm putting Tamiyo in instead of Bolas at the current time.  I will be playing this deck this weekend so some actual constructive criticism would be nice instead of trolling. 
56735468 wrote:
Why are you playing [CARD]Bloodgift Demon[/CARD] in here while [CARD]Consecrated Sphinx[/CARD] is still legal?

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Why are you playing [CARD]Bloodgift Demon[/CARD] in here while [CARD]Consecrated Sphinx[/CARD] is still legal?

While I originally thought the OP understood that M13 brought the rotation of M12 and Scars block; he has Dismember in his list, and other scars block cards like ratchet bomb and go for the throat.  This is a good question:  Why are you playing bloodgift demon?  Not only Consecrated Sphinx, but Titans, and Batterskull, and Wurmcoil Engine?  BGD does get card advantage, but with GoFor's and Dismembers in the meta, BGD will die easily.

With that said, there are two sets here that we have no idea what will be reprinted or focused on.  Bolas is pretty much unplayable in anything by EDH. 

While it's cool to "think" about archetypes in future formats, coming up with decklists is pretty much a futile exercise.  It's like trying to plan offensive/defensive strategies against a pro sports team with a lot of salary cap room and a load of top free agents on the market that team "might" sign in the off season.  If RTR is indeed an "enchantment matters" block, unless black and blue get some out of color pie effects that target enchantments, U/B may not be such a great color combination.  There's also the possible shock lands being reprinted, which could mean a return to 4-5 color decks.  Titans probably won't be reprinted, and GoFor and Dismember being gone might make Bloodgift Demon a powerhouse.  I'm definitely watching him.  But this is all basically speculation that probably belongs in the "future speculation" thread.  You're planning something knowing what 50+% of standard is leaving, but you can't speculate what the 35ish% of cards will replace that.

Serra Angel saw plenty of play in standard in 4th edition.  She was deemed too powerful for that meta (and possibly so, considering how crappy creatures were then), then brought back as a rare in 7th edition (I think, going off of memory and it's been a while) and eventually brought back to an uncommon.  She's saw 0 play outside of limited formats.  A card is only as good as the other playable cards in the specific format.  And since there are so many not present, that's why it isn't a good idea. 

With that said OP, that's probably why you are seeing so much resistance to your presentation.  If we don't know what's going to be in the future sets yet, and they print a B4 5/5 draw a card and lose a life creature as a mythic in RTR for example (they won't), Bloodgift demon will be worthless.  I think many others aren't intending to be rude, they just can't help you because of the unknown.  If it was through half of the RTR set spoilers, you might have more jump on board.

While I originally thought the OP understood that M13 brought the rotation of M12 and Scars block; he has Dismember in his list, and other scars block cards like ratchet bomb and go for the throat.

Just wanted to make it clear that M12 and Scars block rotate out with the release of Return to Ravnica in October. M13's release will not cause anything to rotate out, and there will be two months where both core sets are legal in Standard. 

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Just a thought- How do you know that they will reprint Bolas in his original planeswalker form? They could make a new version... just my 2 cents
Just a thought- How do you know that they will reprint Bolas in his original planeswalker form? They could make a new version... just my 2 cents

mtgsalvation.com/magic-2013-m13-spoiler....

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I'm going to play the Bloodgift Demon over Consecrated Sphinx for two reason - first, is that I currently don't have any Sphinxs, and second, I like being able to drop the Demon on turn 5.  If I aqcuire a Sphinx I would most likely play one at least.

Also, I don't think Bolas is entirely unplayable.  People play Karn plenty, and Bolas is only 1 more CMC.  In a control deck like this Bolas would be a lot more dangerous a drop after turn 10 than a Tamiyo, for example, and the mana should very well be there.  This doesn't mean Bolas is better for this kind of build than Tamiyo is mainboard, especially is such an aggro-heavy meta, but a sideboard thought against other control-type decks is not out of the question.

I'm also taking out a Phantasmal Image and bringing in a Wurmcoil. 
56735468 wrote:
I'm going to play the Bloodgift Demon over Consecrated Sphinx for two reason - first, is that I currently don't have any Sphinxs, and second, I like being able to drop the Demon on turn 5.  If I aqcuire a Sphinx I would most likely play one at least.

Also, I don't think Bolas is entirely unplayable.  People play Karn plenty, and Bolas is only 1 more CMC.  In a control deck like this Bolas would be a lot more dangerous a drop after turn 10 than a Tamiyo, for example, and the mana should very well be there.  This doesn't mean Bolas is better for this kind of build than Tamiyo is mainboard, especially is such an aggro-heavy meta, but a sideboard thought against other control-type decks is not out of the question.

I'm also taking out a Phantasmal Image and bringing in a Wurmcoil. 

7 mana is kind of the threshold for playable control finishers in the format Elesh Norn, Karn Liberated etc. Bolas costs 8 which is a big difference to 7 imo I doubt it will see any play outside of EDH as a result.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

7 mana is kind of the threshold for playable control finishers in the format Elesh Norn, Karn Liberated etc. Bolas costs 8 which is a big difference to 7 imo I doubt it will see any play outside of EDH as a result.

So 1 mana is a big difference late game when you have 10+ mana available?  I don't see how. 
56735468 wrote:
I always liked bolas-play a Grixis control in modern, but modern has more weapons.
If m13 has some cool control cards, stalling for 8 turns may well be doable, but we don't know. Right now, without a steady dig engine in either jace 1.0 and 2.0, we have to rely on draw spells, which takes mana and spell space, which makes it harder to stall till t8, which is why he is currently nigh unplayable.
I hope that changes.

So 1 mana is a big difference late game when you have 10+ mana available?  I don't see how. 

Because you need your cards to be good in the midgame. At 10 mana, Tamiyo is just as good as Bolas is; except Tamiyo also has relevance early on.

The difference between 6 and 7 is big; the difference between 7 and 8 is even bigger.

Check out this article for the mathematics behind it: www.channelfireball.com/articles/in-deve... 

Because you need your cards to be good in the midgame. At 10 mana, Tamiyo is just as good as Bolas is; except Tamiyo also has relevance early on.

The difference between 6 and 7 is big; the difference between 7 and 8 is even bigger.

Check out this article for the mathematics behind it: www.channelfireball.com/articles/in-deve... 

That article is awesome Indigo.  Thanks for the read.

While that article is very math heavy, the rule of sligh has always worked for me.  It's not quite as complex as said article, but that's okay. 

For those that may not know, Sligh was a fast red deck that typically ran lots of fast creatures.  RDW is similar to the build of that now.  The rule of sligh was 8 one drops for one of them in your opening hand.  Did it work all the time?  No.  Consistently?  You bet.  If you've ever played RDW and it seemed they always had a Stromkirk Noble, Grim Lavamancer, or Spikeshot Elder?  Chances are, they were playing 8 copies of one drops or more.

If we take that math to land, you would need 24 land to have 3 land in your opening draw and first card drawn.  Then you should statistically draw a land in every 2-3 turns (2.47 actually (52 = cards left in your deck/21 number of lands left in your deck.  That number should statistically stay the same as you play unless you draw a large land pocket or not.  To make the deck have 4 lands in your opening draw, you'd need to play 32 land.  And personally, unless 4-6 of those are win con lands, I'd not do that. 

So in a 24 land deck after the first draw, you're basically set to draw two land per 5 cards.  The 4th land is likely to be there turn 4-6.5, 5th land is there turn 6.5-9, 6th land is there turn 9-11.5, and so on.  Is it possible to play your 8th land on 8th turn and hardcast Bolas?  Yes.  But think about that.  Without a mulligan, you have just drew 15 cards from the start of the game.  Over HALF of those were lands.  Unless you had cards to give you multiple angles of card advantage....like Slagstorm, Black sun's zenith, etc, you're probably dead before you cast him.  The game probably isn't going to last in this meta long enough to cast him on turn 14-16.5, so that's why.

That's also why Bolas is good for things like EDH.  There's more turns there, and you have more life to soak up the damage (not including commander damage, but that depends on how competitive the commmanders chosen are).