Proselytization - How To Handle It?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am going to be playing a Lawful Evil Cleric of Hextor.  I'd like to get thoughts and opinions on my plan. 

I plan to proselytize small villages and hamlets to the Church of Hextor by doing good deeds and seeking no reward (other than praise of the "demonized" Hero, Hextor).  Does anyone believe this could be a successful plan?  I don't plan to do this in major cities, but I intend to do it in every rural village and hamlet without a strong religious community.

I would really appreciate criticisms (if they are constructive) and ways to improve this plan.  Thank you all for your time.  
Well, one potential snag is that, by doing good deeds, you're eventually going to become good unless you are, simultaneously, doing evil deeds (and not getting caught, as that will muck up your plans).  Your actions determine your alignment; if you do good, you become Good.

I would assume the odds that you'll get more than one or two converts per town would be slim, depending on the gameworld.  In most D&D worlds, the gods are a little more in-your-face than the real world, so most people aren't going to buy a line that Hextor is really just suffering from bad PR.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hmmm, true...  It was a valiant plan, but perhaps I need to wait until I'm a bit higher level so I can force this revolution on hamlets and the such.
Are you playing in Greyhawk, specifically? Do you have access to Dragon magazine?

There was a very good article about Bane in his PoL incarnation and there are enough similarities between the two that you could adapt most of the material for use with Hextor. In addition to giving a good "why" for all this tyrannical behavior, it talks about the different aspects of Bane and why non-evil or even good individuals might find at least some of those doctrines attractive.

Presenting Hextor in a similar light to Bane's "Centurion" aspect would make the plan MUCH more likely to get somewhere with the average person.
Speak about how the (normally) powerless masses need to come together.  When we are united, we are strong.

Speak of the need for leadership in any community.  And the people must follow their leader.

Speak of the Code of Conduct to guide one's actions.

In secret, speak to the leaders of benefits to be had from Hextor's favor.

You might want to look over Anakin Skywalker's (undeveloped) political philosophy, consider how Darth Sidious and Chancellor Palpatine take advantage of him.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

Have you considered why you're proselytizing?

If I remember right, Hextor likes the strong, and not being too subtle about it, either. What interest does he have in anyone who's willing to sit in his temple because somebody killed the local gnoll tribe? They're a drain on resources. The only thing Hextor's priests would want from them is slave labor, until they prove they're capable of being anything more than that.

A Lawful Evil cleric of Hextor, to me, seems like he would gain much more by keeping an eye out for those with strength, those with power; an officer of the Watch, or perhaps a local hero, and attempting to convert them. No need to even mention Hextor at first, just push them towards the dark side. Then, when they have fallen, only then are they ready to embrace their power and wield it in the name of Hextor.

"You deserve more than the meager pay you're given! If you take some of the gold from that Kingpin's hideout after the raid, who's going to know? It's not like these gold pieces will be any better evidence than the ones you don't take. Go on, you could find use for it, I'm sure."

"You protect these villagers? Have you ever wondered why they find themselves in so much trouble? Perhaps if they had someone to guide them, to provide the leadership they need, they could be better protected! If you commanded them, surely you could keep them out of harm's way in the first place, for their own good! Surely the weak need the strong to set an example for them, or else, what have they to strive towards?" 

Don't make them -follow- Evil. Make them Evil. 

Just off the top of my head, as always take it with a grain of salt. 
I plan to proselytize small villages and hamlets to the Church of Hextor by doing good deeds and seeking no reward (other than praise of the "demonized" Hero, Hextor).  Does anyone believe this could be a successful plan?

It could be, if you play it right.

If your character goes around being a good person, eventually he might start to feel like a good person.  So he might start out evil and eventually learn he loves good.

However, if he's just putting on a shallow facade, there should be places where the facade cracks.  Like, if he's trying to get a cat out of a tree, and no one's watching, and he's starting to get frustrated... well, Fluffy wouldn't mind too much if he used a rock, right?  And depending on the dice and DM, the rock could knock Fluffy down and he'll catch him valiantly just as a child comes by, or the rock could miss and break a window, or Fluffy could get hit a bit too hard and not be moving.  And then do you run, or try to find a healing potion, or throw the cat in the river?

There's a difference between good deeds and "good" deeds.  After all, our hero only needs to look good.  Why waste his time doing everything the sucker's way?

Besides, your character's not good: he's evil.  So he's probably not very good at being good.  There should certainly be a high rate of failures, accidents, and bad decision making.

Sign In to post comments