Beholder Lich

Hello

I was looking to pick up a Beholder Lich miniature, but surfing around the interwebs I saw what looks like two different versions of the sculpt. Are there two, or am I imagining things? If there are two, does anyone know why? Which is best?

Thanks very much. Si    
There is a Beholder Lich in Unhallowed set.
The other one is a resculpt call Ghost Beholder in the DDM Beholder Collector's set.  This one is made of transparent plastic so if you're looking for a Beholder Lich, the one from Unhallowed is the best.

There is a lot of other Beholder mini including a huge one that was release too.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I've seen the ghost beholder, but that wasn't the one I meant. Here are the two sculpts I'm talking about:

They do look different I think. Any idea why there are two?

Thanks very much. Si
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I've seen the ghost beholder, but that wasn't the one I meant. Here are the two sculpts I'm talking about:

They do look different I think. Any idea why there are two?

Thanks very much. Si

The Beholder Lich on the right is the correct D&D Miniatures Beholder Lich. 

The figure to the left I cannot find anywhere on the official websites as a Beholder Lich.  I'm not even sure it is a WotC figure.  Also, the base looks kinda large for the figure.  I did see it pictured on Troll and Toad as the D&D Beholder Lich, but it may just be a picture they have.  Unless it is some form of a Promo or Reprint, I have never seen the figure on the left. 

Cheers. 

Sirohk

Cool  
I'm pretty sure that both picture are the same mini but from a different perspectives. The one to the right must be the master paint that is on Wizards website. The one on the left seem to be a picture of the actual mini. The eyestalk are quite similars.  
My Beholder Lich is really similar to the one on the left picture. It's bent to the front. If you look closely you can see that the base is deformed a little bit.

I'm pretty sure that both picture are the same mini but from a different perspectives.

Yes, I'd wondered about that myself, but rejected the idea primarily because the one on the left has its chin touching the base, but the one on the right clearly has a decent amount of a gap between it and the base, revealing the central support column. Also the eyestalks to the top right look different: the one on the left has a group of three, the one on the right has two.

Having said all that, since no-one can throw any light on why there appears to be a difference, I'm starting to come round to the idea that there isn't a difference after all, and as you suggested, it's just the "official" picture against the "actual" picture.

Thanks for your input.
Si    

The one on the right is the master copy with the original production paint job and a professional photograph. The first is one you'd get from a booster and was probably glued at an odd angle in the mass production process (I have two Maralith minis, one was glued correctly and the other had the middle arms piece glued in upside down). Its base is warped because those sets had a cheaper quality of plastic due to oil prices.

The figures/bases can usually be re-shaped with a hot water bath and then a trip to the freezer (although some figures tend to be stubborn and just slowly bend back over time(I'm looking at you Gnoll Skeletons...)). The tilt could be fixed by pulling the figure off its altitude stick and re-glueing it but most folks don't mind it.

It would also probably be cheaper to buy a Ghost Beholder and just paint it to look like a Beholder Lich. Last time I checked Ghosts were about a $10 single, while the Lich cost around $17.