Bardlord?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am going into my first game, and I have been truely inspired to inspire.
I want to play a leader. My main problem is in choosing the two classes I am most interested in. Bard and Warlord.
I am aware of the hybrid classes, as well as multiclassing rules, but I am not sure just which one I want.

I love the idea of the warlord, but at the same time, want to make him more than a warlord, and am aiming for a character whom uses his words in combat. Something of a royal commander, who's perogative has direct influence. I want to flavor the powers with the roman powers of regnum and auctoritas. The reason I want to blend the character, is I want pick of both classes powers. I also want the character to be heavily melee based.

The game starts at level 1, and I plan to be a human. I have all the players handbooks

Is it best for me to start with a straight class , multiclassing, or hybrid classing.  In all cases, Warlord would be the primary class. Also, would the melee training feat be of any help?

Warlord's don't really need Melee Training on account of the lack of OAs on their part. However, there is a build that I think would work for your character.

Try being a Lazylord. Pick Direct The Strike, Commander's Strike, and any other power that lets your allies attack for you and gives them buffs for doing so. I've played several Lazlords and they've all been incredbily effective at handling combat. Plus, with all those extra points from not relying on Strength to solve encounters, you can put all those good stats into Int, Wis and Cha to make a character who is very effective at diplomating things and being bardic and such.

In terms of reflavoring, I love what you're going for. If you don't mind, whatever kind of character you do decide to make, could you post it up on here for us to see?
I was toying with the idea of a Bardlord sometime ago, Daring Blade will solve some problems if you are willing to spend your paragon path to stop being lazy, the opportunity cost however is high, there are some really good Paragon Paths for a Warlord.

Another thing, there are some bracers (paragon item may be) that let you 1/enc use one power with a mental stat, if you really want one non-lazy warlord encounter. 
My bardlord is actually my "comic relief" character. I have lazy worlord powers, and bard powers that can be fluffed as my character not really doing anything.

The real trouble with a Bardlord is coming up with a justification for not just being a pure Warlord.

However, Warlords have quite a few powers that grant basic attacks to you and an ally. Picking up Skald Training, some of those, and the Dimensional Step line of Bard encounter powers can be about as good as a Bardlord gets. Go with a STR/CHA build as a Dragonborn or just dump CHA and make your two mandatory Bard powers ones that don't need to hit. (Like Dimensional Step and Song of Discord/Timeless Trek in Mithredain.)
Bardlords work well.  I played one for a few levels and had a blast.  Because the warlord offers so many powers that don't require them to roll, you can go Tiefling and max Int/Cha and dump Strength entirely if you'd like.

Basically, they end up being masters of granted actions and forced movement.  You really need a party with one (ideally two) PC with a good basic attack to play nice with the warlord half.  I was stuck in a group with an infernal warlock (WITHOUT eldritch strike), a drow hand crossbow rogue and an assault swordmage so... yeah.  There was a lot of head-banging-against-the-wall on my part with that group.

"Hey guys, I'm going to play a Lazylord.  Make PCs with good basic attacks, please."
*one week passes*
"What the @#$% is this @#$%?  Fine, I'll hybrid bard so I'm not totally worthless.  Thanks for nothing."

And they wondered why my PC was sarcastic and snarky.
I am going into my first game, and I have been truely inspired to inspire.
I want to play a leader. My main problem is in choosing the two classes I am most interested in. Bard and Warlord.
I am aware of the hybrid classes, as well as multiclassing rules, but I am not sure just which one I want.

I love the idea of the warlord, but at the same time, want to make him more than a warlord, and am aiming for a character whom uses his words in combat. Something of a royal commander, who's perogative has direct influence. I want to flavor the powers with the roman powers of regnum and auctoritas. The reason I want to blend the character, is I want pick of both classes powers. I also want the character to be heavily melee based.

The game starts at level 1, and I plan to be a human. I have all the players handbooks

Is it best for me to start with a straight class , multiclassing, or hybrid classing.  In all cases, Warlord would be the primary class. Also, would the melee training feat be of any help?

Dielzen's Master of Puppets might give you ideas on how to build your character.
I killed Aleena.
The last character I played was a Tiefling BardLord --  I called him "Heavy Metal" but just didn't get to roleplay any music into the character (it was a more serious campaign).  The basic gist was to use Stirring Song of Baator and a Weapon of Summer to keep temp hp up after you unload with all the warlord alpha-striking tricks (kinda like Killswitch, I even took MC artificer and Spell Commander PP).  Just make sure to pick up Bracers of Mental Might so you don't miss out on all the awesome Warlord strength-based powers.)

To follow along with your Roman theme though, I'd seriously consider Spear and Shield and use Ninth Legion Student on your OA's for Direct the Strike.  I've always thought the flavor was cool, and it's more enabling, which is always good.  Also, it doesn't require any Strength, which allows you to go Lazy on the warlord side.  Just pump Cha and Con and go War Chanter as PP, and you can't go wrong.