If you remember V2 Hell...

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
...you know, when MTGO was crashing so much that the forums devolved into utter chaos?

Take a look at the diablo 3 forums over at blizzard right now.

Yes boys and girls, The One Whe Should Take As An Example.... has dropped the ball(tm)

So now what do we do when we want to complain at wizards and call them unprofessional? Which shining beacon of perfection must we point at now?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Note that this isn't schadenfreude about Blizzards, but rather all the posters who held Blizzard up as paragons for whom nothing goes wrong.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Think I should have been more explicit about that?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Think I should have been more explicit about that?

Most of the newer posters wouldnt know what you speak of nushae, granted your statement wasnt meant for them anyways. or was it? Undecided

This remains to be interesting for sure   .

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Hey, we used to have a thread called 'Is the server up?' with about a million replies
People forget that Blizzard had a very difficult WoW launch.  I remember spending a lot of time wishing I could be playing WoW when it had just come out.  But then after a few months, things got better.  The last few years of WoW have been trouble-free as far as I know.  Then again, I quit playing after 2 years of WoW.  Finally some better games came along.

Diablo 3 has been a real mess.  I am able to play most of the time now but there are always issues.  I play hardcore (death = your guy & gear is gone forever) and not only do I have to be careful not to die, I have to hope Blizzard doesn't have server problems that cause me to die!

Yes, Blizzard has gotten a very good reputation in the last few years after successful launches of so many WoW expansions, Starcraft 2, etc.  But I felt fairly ripped off when I bought D3 and I couldn't even play the game for the first couple of days of owning it.  I certainly could have gotten a refund, but I wanted to wait and play the game once it was working.

We don't need a paragon of perfection (a.k.a. 2011 Blizzard) to compare WoTC to.  We just need to feel like we are getting our money's worth.  I've played four big events since AVR pre-release and things were close enough to problem-free.  I have gotten used to all of the little glitches that would normally upset me if I was discovering them for the first time.  I feel like I got my money's worth.  I "only" ended up down $15 after two pre-releases.  That's got to be a record!
I still remember the dark times when refund requests were frequent and the server would crash a lot whenever a new set came out.  Personally, I really appreciate the current level of stability.  I just hope the next version of Magic Online is as stable as this one. 
Yes, Diablo 3 is easily the worst game Blizzard has published in the last 15 years.  That doesn't make Wizards any better, though.
Ill take v2 over what we have now.  Leagues, a buying AND selling board, ratings, cooler avatar blingy stuff.   Just give it card zoom and up the trade limit!
Ill take v2 over what we have now.  Leagues, a buying AND selling board, ratings, cooler avatar blingy stuff.   Just give it card zoom and up the trade limit!

You're nuts.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Really?  No, I mean, REALLY? 

Dammit, I wish the buying and selling boards were up now so I could get a used Sarcasm Detectoromatic*. 

Bubba you way understimate the seriousness of Shiv's condition.

*Accept no other, only Sarcasm Detectoromatic can really help you decipher posts like these.
Thank you, Erik.

Dammit, I wish the buying and selling boards were up now so I could get a used Sarcasm Detectoromatic*. 

*Accept no other, only Sarcasm Detectoromatic can really help you decipher posts like these.

Sarcasm Detectormatic?  That's a good idea.  

My smell-o-vision 9.13164xy324r works pretty well most of the time.

Winter.Wolf

Sarcasm Detectormatic?  That's a good idea.  

Detectoromatic.

That O is not an F (ie not accidental)
Free Speech
Personally I did quite well out of the V2 crashes.

Since I primarily draft, and I'm bad at it, it was actually more profitable (though less fun) to draft, keep all the cards, and get entry fee back with the (almost) inevitable crash!

As opposed to keeping all the cards and winning 0-1 booster prizes.

For all other formats and casual play, I agree the increased stability is so much better.

I remember those days. I used to joke that Jaz was running MTGO out of his mom's basement and any time she needed to vacuum she'd unplug the server. She must have vacuumed a lot!
So Blizzard has had a bad launch that's lasted about a month now.

WotC has a client that has been terrible for YEARS.

Even with Diablo 3 launching years after Mtgo I would bet that Diablo 3 gets to the point of being fixed long before Mtgo does.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge

You're nuts.

Such an ad hominem attack is uncalled for and I expected better of you. If you've got nothing to add but namecalling, I humbly suggest you don't post.

Clearly, V3 is currently better than V2 for at least 99.9% of the player base. That being said, for me and apparently him, V2 was strictly better. Only thing I ever really did on MTGO was play leagues. I don't play casual (don't have the collection), don't draft, don't play constructed tourneys. So basically, on V2 I could sometimes play leagues (note I'm from Europe so I had less server trouble than US players). On V3 I never can. So, for me personally, V2 was better.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
You're nuts.

Such an ad hominem attack is uncalled for and I expected better of you. If you've got nothing to add but namecalling, I humbly suggest you don't post.

Clearly, V3 is currently better than V2 for at least 99.9% of the player base. That being said, for me and apparently him, V2 was strictly better. Only thing I ever really did on MTGO was play leagues. I don't play casual (don't have the collection), don't draft, don't play constructed tourneys. So basically, on V2 I could sometimes play leagues (note I'm from Europe so I had less server trouble than US players). On V3 I never can. So, for me personally, V2 was better.

Ad hominem is a bit strong, considering the colloquial use of the phrase. The view that v2 was better is extremely myopic and generally conflates the existence of leagues with everything else about v2, when opinions on the two really should be separate entities at this point. Not to mention posts comparing v2 to v3 are missing the point of the thread.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Could always reference the nukemforever comparison...
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
Hey, we used to have a thread called 'Is the server up?' with about a million replies

Clearly the need for an icon with hotlink to serverstatus on the UI login page would be known by now.  Was this something I mentioned before or just thought about mentioning.  Ah well so many threads on the same subjects you would wonder why we even bother responding to them anymore.  Perhaps it's and automated reflex trained in over years of instinctive behavior modification training.  Something akin to a rat pressing a button he knows is going to cause all kinds of pain to course throughout his body but he does it anyway to get whatever "treat" he has associated with performing such routines.

**ftr I still think v2 would have been better if it forced everyone to update equipment and internet connections**

*** Shiv, Daar,  I'm with yaz!  That turtle had some comphey cushions instead of our current stumps worn smooth from constant use.  Perhaps it's not the stumps that have smoothed but the tailquarters that have become all leathery and toughend like trollhide.

"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
You're nuts.

Ad hominem is a bit strong, considering the colloquial use of the phrase. The view that v2 was better is extremely myopic and generally conflates the existence of leagues with everything else about v2, when opinions on the two really should be separate entities at this point. Not to mention posts comparing v2 to v3 are missing the point of the thread.

I do sort of agree with them, from a European point of view we went from one sort of mild anoyance to another.
I do miss the way the crashes drove people to the boards though. Sure we got lots of rants and a million post long "is ther server up" thread. But those people knew where the boards where and would join in other topics. Now they are too busy having fun playing mtgo to come here.

V3 wasn't just a plan to replace the aging hamsters and get them a new wheel to power the servers. It was also part of Gleemax's plan to kill the boards and comunity. /Conspiracy theory.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

I have sympathy for the folks at Blizzard working on the challenges D3 has faced over the past few weeks, but getting it right (at least in my eyes) isn't about comparing us to them.

The games are vastly different, the challenges are in many cases similar, but importantly are in many cases also vastly different, and the scope of each of the products also varies quite a bit. Full disclosure, I am playing and enjoying D3, though I will probably quit around level 32-35 after I finish Act 4 the first time.

I'm a firm believer that games as services need to stand on their own merits. If the service doesn't measure up, I fault no one who votes with their wallet, I do the same thing as a consumer & therein lies your power.

The fact of the matter is that right now and over the past 4+ years more and more people are voting that MTGO is fun and a good way to spend their time and money. Does that mean it's perfect? Even close to perfect? Of course not. I look at MTGO from 2007 and compare it to today and laugh. Mostly I laugh because even if you reduced our concurrent users by half some days, v2 would not even be running. ;)

In all seriousness, in this industry no matter what game you have backing you, running a service model means you're either getting better or failing. The *pace* at which we are improving needs work, but in my opinion there is no argument on which way the trend has gone.

Thanks for the reply Worth.
So when is the Pizza party for Mtgo year 10?

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

Thanks for the reply Worth.
So when is the Pizza party for Mtgo year 10?

Id like my slices emailed to me please. Not sure I want mozzerella on my cards.

Winter.Wolf

v2 was a TRAINWRECK. Call the insurance company, it was totaled. And oh, btw, only David Dunn made it out alive.

v3 is maybe a few thousand in damages, and everyone was wearing their sealtbelt. Knock on wood.

Weally, I feel bad for the guys at Blizzo, if only because I've seen how awful people can be when they are desperately trying to throw their money at you and are having a hard time justifying doing so.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I still miss the community from v2.   We had a pretty tight community back then and I still feel that the combo of the new chat system and horrible forums have killed it.

I guess in a way this is good for WOTC because now that nobody reads the forums anymore who cares if people are complaining here because only the handful of us that still hang out here really see it.   

I wish Hasbro would throw some more money at MTGO for development of v4 instead of making more plastic ponies for the bronies.   

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I also think your nuts. The server was so unstable back then it wasn't even funny. I will take stability over all the above mentioned features you liked on v2 ( and yes I liked them too).

Just have to hope that V4 is a fantastic product (cautiously optimistic over here)
I still miss the community from v2.   We had a pretty tight community back then and I still feel that the combo of the new chat system and horrible forums have killed it.

I guess in a way this is good for WOTC because now that nobody reads the forums anymore who cares if people are complaining here because only the handful of us that still hang out here really see it.   

I wish Hasbro would throw some more money at MTGO for development of v4 instead of making more plastic ponies for the bronies.   

+1

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Totally agree, Heath and Joe. Community support is one place we can do MUCH better. I'm including here, but what I really mean is enabling you all with tools and incentives to build your own communities within the game.

I can't say more right now, but community building is *very* important to me long term for not just MTGO but for all of Magic.

A pack of cards isn't an option for you all to pay $4 for cardboard, another of the main reasons Magic packs have value is that it's an implied ticket into one of the best communities in gaming, at least in paper. Digitally, we fall short of delivering on the same thing, and I endeavor to change that.
Totally agree, Heath and Joe. Community support is one place we can do MUCH better. I'm including here, but what I really mean is enabling you all with tools and incentives to build your own communities within the game.

I can't say more right now, but community building is *very* important to me long term for not just MTGO but for all of Magic.

A pack of cards isn't an option for you all to pay $4 for cardboard, another of the main reasons Magic packs have value is that it's an implied ticket into one of the best communities in gaming, at least in paper. Digitally, we fall short of delivering on the same thing, and I endeavor to change that.

You know I love you Worth, but we've been hearing this for a loooong time. I would love to see an upsurge in the community but you guys have made it increadibly hard to do anything even remotely productive.

The boards are god awful to use. And this is coming from someone who's invested a decent amountof time in learing the ins and outs.

Every time we get some kind of community liasion they end up getting promoted up and/or out, which makes it hard to build any kind of long term relationship.

The main driver for players coming to the boards was for information, which is now disseminated from the blog or in client.

WizO's were a huge factor in maintaining a sense of community as they got to know individual posters, and the quirks of the areas they supervised.

Honestly, the boards are almost pointless, with the exception of those coming for tech help.

I would love to return to the Halcyon days of a thriving community, but there's nothing here to bring people in orr retain them.

It makes me very sad.

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Diablo 3 is currently not out of the woods although it appears playable again (can't speak for the past few days, I was unable to play for personal reasons) - some stuff has been disabled to make sure the servers can keep up. That has a bit of an mtgo ring to it ;)

Bots advertising gold and "boss runs" are flooding chats, but it appears they are stomped out quickly enough. Hm, bots wrecking chat, where have we seen that before... D3 has this great "report spammer" function that also blocks the user for you.

What I miss most right now is the ability to trade commodities on the AH, I'm desperate for pink dye if you can believe it. I have to say one thing though. My experiences with the auction house in diablo 3 have made me think. Apparently some things are traded so hotly there the system can't keep up...

What I hate most about the atmosphere of the diablo boards is all the greedy folk demanding compensation. Good thing there's no way to "work the system" like they did with drafts in v2. Those ppl just made it worse for everyone I think.
Free Speech
By the way, I would like to offer this post "elsewhere" as an example of how I'd like to see interactions with WotC go:

us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/55932308...
Free Speech
Totally agree, Heath and Joe. Community support is one place we can do MUCH better...

Add to that the Community Customer Support interface. Why isn't the Customer Support system linked with my Magic Online account? I just reported an issue with my lifetime MOPR points. Before they can send the issue on to the correct team to investigate, they need my first and last name, my email address, zip code, and the answer to my security question (asking for the answer to your security question is just a small step away from giving out your password).

I'm quite happy with the Customer Support person I just talked with on the phone. My beef isn't with Customer Support, just the underlying systems they rely upon.
Totally agree, Heath and Joe. Community support is one place we can do MUCH better...

Add to that the Community Customer Support interface. Why isn't the Customer Support system linked with my Magic Online account? I just reported an issue with my lifetime MOPR points. Before they can send the issue on to the correct team to investigate, they need my first and last name, my email address, zip code, and the answer to my security question (asking for the answer to your security question is just a small step away from giving out your password).

I'm quite happy with the Customer Support person I just talked with on the phone. My beef isn't with Customer Support, just the underlying systems they rely upon.

I have asked for a better reporting tool for years now. I continue to ask for this whenever I have the chance to ask on many different levels.

Not just for use in Beta testing but for in client reporting of any issue that someone need to contact CS about.

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

I had a similar problem when I was asking for help regarding my MOPR points one season, having to give out all that information via email, I entered it in via the online question system I used to lodge the ticket in the first place but it still felt wrong to have to give out that info (after all, I had to log in to ask the question in the first place)

Sadly, regarding the community, I suspect that ship may have sailed already, the in game community for the most part is pretty bad (well, in competitve events anyway, the way people act when they lose a match is appalling, and tbh if someone acted like that in a RL tournament they would most likely get kicked out) The community here will be so hard to build also due to history, while we appreciate it when WOTC folks come on and do talk to us, I suspect that each time someone comes on and says they *want* to do more, and nothing happens, those still holding some hope give up a little more.

We don't want promises, we want action! (like leagues) 
the way people act when they lose a match is appalling, and tbh if someone acted like that in a RL tournament they would most likely get kicked out

In Pants Magic World, those people tone it down enough to stick around, but due to the lack of anonymity about it, the community starts taking pleasure in knocking that guy down a rung. So beating the guy who gets upset at losing a single match becomes its own goal. And the group can be like "good job beating jerk guy!" Eventually, that guy gets better (personally or at Magic) or stops playing at that store.

Every time we get some kind of community liasion they end up getting promoted up and/or out, which makes it hard to build any kind of long term relationship.

The main driver for players coming to the boards was for information, which is now disseminated from the blog or in client.

WizO's were a huge factor in maintaining a sense of community as they got to know individual posters, and the quirks of the areas they supervised.

Honestly, the boards are almost pointless, with the exception of those coming for tech help.

I would love to return to the Halcyon days of a thriving community, but there's nothing here to bring people in orr retain them.

It makes me very sad.

I miss Solice. 

I nominate SoaS as the new liaison since he's just propped up in the corner with no threat of being promoted anywhere.

or not

whatever

/me shrugs @'s

Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

I also miss SoaS
Yeah, I'm easy to miss when I'm set aside and people move on to newer, more exciting things.
Batteries not included.
+1 vote for missing leagues enough to overlook all the crashes in v2.
Maybe I'm being nostalgic, but they got me hooked on this game. I draft from
time to time still, but it's too expensive compared to leagues. I felt more
connected to the game and the community back then - now it's just a shadow
of its former self... for me anyway.