A Challenge For All The Budget Deck Builders Out There: Common/Uncommon Deck

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone,

I've got a challenge for everyone: Do you think you could come up with a competetive deck that is made up entirely of common and uncommon cards (the cheaper the better)?
Do you think you could come up with a decent deck without rares/mythic rares?

Good luck!

edit: Let's use deckstats.net/index.php for deck price calculations to make it fair.  
I am going for the obvious choice: A goblin deck.

Cost: 20.16 $
Just make UR Delver without the sulfur falls.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Just make UR Delver without the sulfur falls.

Are you up for doing one and working out the costs with the deckstat website? 

Lands:
22 - Forest
22 Lands

Creatures:
4 - Llanowar Elves
4 - Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 - Young Wolf
4 - Strangleroot Geist
4 - Garruk Companion
3 - Jade Mage
4 - Wolfir Avenger
3 - Borderland Ranger
2 - Bellowing Tanglewurm
32 Creatures

Other Spells:
3 - Lead the Stampede
3 - Overrun
6 Other Spells

Cost:  Uh, cheap... i'm sure. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

devo, pull the thought scours for a trinket mage package (silver inlaid dagger, memnite, elixir of immortality). Probably have to cut the latch seekers also.

No ghost quarters; use evolving wilds. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Lands:
20 - Plains
20 Lands

Creatures:
4 - Elite Vanguard
4 - Doomed Traveler
2 - Gideon's Lawkeeper
4 - Cloistered Youth
4 - Loyal Cathar
4 - Leonin Skyhunter
4 - Spectral Rider
4 - Emancipation Angel
4 - Fiend Hunter
34 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 - Pacifism
2 - Oblivion Ring
6 Other Spells

i don't have the ability to price these, but i figure they're all dirt cheap. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

i don't have the ability to price these, but i figure they're all dirt cheap. 

deckstats.net/index.php

Do you think maybe we should evaluate people's decks by giving them marks out of 5 (5 being the 'best')?
BW control ^^

Lands (24)

4 Evolving Wilds
8 Plains
12 Swamp

Creatures (8)

4 Angelic Wall
2 Serra Angel
2 Sengir Vampire

Spells (28)

2 Tragic Slip
4 Despise
2 Righteous Blow
4 Doom Blade
3 Sphere of the Suns
3 Smallpox
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Barter in Blood
2 Lingering Souls
60Karten  33.70 € 17.47 $

so, here's your control deck, for only 17,47$
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
devo, pull the thought scours for a trinket mage package (silver inlaid dagger, memnite, elixir of immortality). Probably have to cut the latch seekers also.

It was a two minute "what cards can I remember" build o_O But OK! I don't know about Memnite though, that seems like a uhhhh yeah?

This. I'm not sure there's a more reliable engine than Delver + Trinket Mage in Standard Pauper. 6/2 Abberations end games fast.

Also, I'm not against adding Niblis of the Urn and Feeling of Dread and just calling it a day.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Furor of the Bitten and Spectral Flight do work in U/R budget delver.

You can use Shimmering Grotto to splash for black, or add one or two swamps + Evolving Wilds. I'd have to play around with the numbers of Favorable Winds and Intangible Virtues if I was going to play this competitively, but it seems good.

Delver is there because it's Delver, there are plenty of instants and sorceries to make him work.

Drogskol Cap'n, Intangible Virtue, and Favorable Winds make your spirits stupid.

Oblivion Ring deals with walkers (or anything) you can't rid yourself of through swinging.

You could also go heavier on the tokens and add Gather the Townsfolk. Just remove the Favorable Winds for them, and then swap out a Drogskol Captain for a fourth Intangible Virtue.

I know I'm going to get utterly devoured for suggesting this BUT... I'd almost be tempted to remove Delver from this and add in more token generation to maximize your hexproof flier count. Ponders gone for Think Twice, and yeah, I'd be happy to run that deck too. Not that I dislike Delver, no no, I love my Delvers, but the combination of Drogskol, Virtue, and Winds is really kind of tempting.

I'm not sure what other spirit token generator to use, but that is an excellent idea if there is an effective one.
Doomed Travelers, basically :D
Ah-ha, that works!
My deck's still the cheapest xD
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
Black White Token Punish
I also run this deck as a non-budget deck with 3x day of judgment and 3x Killing Wave mixed in there...

It is super effective.

BUT mythics are just bonkers.
I just ran into a deck running almost purely mythics, and it's like fighting Mike Tyson while wearing a sumo-suit.
You just get punched all around in there and then they throw you out with entreat the angels paying 6 as x in round 10 after wiping the board thrice, one with Terminus and once with day of judgment and once with phyrexian rebirth.

WHICH is why rares are necessary.
My regular deck with rares would have won by casting Killing Wave when they got their angels because I had blood artist and falkenrath noble in play.

His Sigarda would have fallen to my Day of Judgment.
Hey! Only Day of Judgment and similar spells CAN deal with Sigarda below the mythic level.

His restoration angels on daybreak ranger didn't help either.
I COULD have won if I hadn't cast out my second wave of Lingering Souls in the same round as casting it the first time, when he cast Terminus.
Updated list:

4 x Doomed Traveler
2 x Fume Spitter
4 x Blood Artist
2 x Falkenrath Noble

2 x Gather the Townsfolk
3 x Timely Reinforcements
3 x Midnight Haunting
4 x Lingering Souls
2 x Bone Splinters
4 x Tragic Slip
4 x Oblivion Ring

4 x Intangible Virtue

3 x Shimmering Grotto
3 x Evolving Wilds
6 x swamps
10 x plains

Another oblivion ring to counter the opponent's oblivion rings or their wurmcoil engines.
Another tragic slip to counter their massive critters or to help sacrifice our doomed traveler when that can deal 3 damage.
Away with two mausoleum guards. Those were fillers anyway.
Exchange one evolving wilds for another shimmering grotto because I identified one of my greatest problems as evolving wilds reducing tempo, especially as a turn 2, 3 or 4 land drop.

Shimmering grotto is one step better because it can produce mana the turn it comes out, and pay for my black spells one turn later.

Two new games: Both superbuddies with terminus, gideon jura and Tamyio the Moon Sage, the latter with several Temporal Masteries.

WHAT THE HECK CAN YOU DO against that?
Terminus wipes the board no matter what creatures you have.
Temporal Mastery gives them land advantage as it basicly functions as a "put another land into play this turn and attack twice with your one 4/4 angel."

Played twice against the latter player.
Screenshot from the game:
Miracles everywhere!
Second game against that player... ^
I've been running this with some good results in Block on MTGO:

Yes, Pike is rare, but you can replace it with more creatures (Fiend Hunter would probably be best), or whatever your meta calls for.
I've won against Naya and zombies so far, havent seen miracles or jund yet. Im running 66% vs. Naya (out of three matches), and 50% vs. zombies (2 matches).
Sideboard is mainly for miracles, but vs. naya I side out vengeance to dodge nevermore. I've also left vengeance in and sided out removal for delver and friends vs. creature-light matches. 

Adding shimmering grotto allows for other sideboard cards, like ancient grudge and ray of revelation if you really need them, but RWU has worked well for me so far. 

Expanding for standard requires rares, but this performs well with Chandra's Phoenix and Lingering Souls.