Turning a land into a creature, when that land can turn itself into a creature?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hope this is the right place, first post!
OK so I was playing a game and I happened to have two cards in my hand, and I kind of wondered how they would affect each other.

The first is Treetop Village.
Land
Tap to add 1 g to your mana pool.
1G: treetop village becomes a 3/3 green ape creature with trample until end of turn. It's still a land.

The second is Guardian Zendikon.
Enchantment- Aura
Enchant land
Enchanted Land is a 2/6 white wall creature with defender. It's still a land.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, return that card to its owner's hand. 

The gatherer page for Guardian Zendikon lists a ruling that states "an ability that turns a land into a creature also sets the creature's power and toughness. If the land was already a creature (due to a Zendikon already enchanting it or its animation ability resolving earlier in the turn, for example), this will overwrite the previous effect that setits power and toughness."

Soooo, would Treetop Village become a 2/6 white wall creature with defender that I can then pay 1G and turn it into a 3/3 green ape w/ trample? And at the end of the turn it reverts back to a 2/6 white wall creature with defender?

I don't know how useful it would be, but it just kinda caught my eye and got me curious. 

Soooo, would Treetop Village become a 2/6 white wall creature with defender that I can then pay 1G and turn it into a 3/3 green ape w/ trample? And at the end of the turn it reverts back to a 2/6 white wall creature with defender?

Exactly right. Note that it would still have Defender after the change, though (the Village's ability doesn't remove other abilities on the land), so it still can't attack.

(Edited for words that make sense)
Rules Nut Advisor
Ok, so in regards to lands turning into creatures (going off the gather ruling) and from you said, it sounds like the power and toughness get reset by the transformation (not to be confused by the new transforming cards), abilities are culmaltive, while the power/toughness gets reset. I wonder if there's potential there. . .
Thanks for the speedy answer! 
Ok, so in regards to lands turning into creatures (going off the gather ruling) and from you said, it sounds like the power and toughness get reset by the transformation (not to be confused by the new transforming cards), abilities are culmaltive, while the power/toughness gets reset. I wonder if there's potential there. . .
Thanks for the speedy answer! 

Yes, the power/toughenss gets overwritten. A creature can only have one P/T, but it can have many abilities.

… and then, the squirrels came.
Original form
Treetop Village
Land
: add to your mana pool.
: Treetop Village becomes a 3/3 green ape creature with trample until end of turn. It's still a land.
Colourless

Enchanted with Guardian Zendikon
Treetop Village
Land Creature - Wall
: Treetop Village becomes a 3/3 green ape creature with trample until end of turn. It's still a land.
Defender
P/T 2/6
White

Now after activating Village's animation effect
Treetop Village
Land Creature - Wall Ape
Defender
Trample
P/T 3/3
Green

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Incidentally, this same sort of thing is one of the reasons Skinshifter has the "Only use this ability once per turn" rider: Otherwise you could pay to have a 4/4 flying trampling Rhino.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)