Seeking advice on W/R Humans deck

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this deck. I'm hoping to get started in Standard with this, and I want it to be competitive. I don't, however, have $180 to throw away on Swords and crap.
Any advice/tips/thrashing of bad ideas would be appreciated. I could also use some tips on a good sideboard.
Thanks in advance!  

x1 Mikaeus, The Lunarch
x4 Silverblade Paladin
x4 Kessig Malcontents
x4 Fiend Hunter
x4 Stormblood Berserker  
x4 Champion of the Parish

x1 Increasing Devotion
x2 Rally The Peasants
x3 Gather the Townsfolk
x3 Thatcher Revolt
x4 Pillar of Flame
x2 Divine Deflection

x4 Clifftop Retreat
x2 Slayer's Stronghold
x10 Plains
x8 Mountains

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Stormblood Berserker isn't worth having here. Unless you have 10 or more one-drop creatures, you can't reliably get him with Bloodthirst.

I'm not a big fan of Fiend Hunter or Kessig Malcontents here. Fiend Hunter dies too easily, and it's really bad against Bonfire/Sweepers. 2 in the SB wouldn't be too bad, but I don't like lots in the main.

I'd go for something like:

8 Plains
4 Mountain
4 Clifftop Retreat
2 Slayer's Stronghold
4 Cavern of Souls (If you can't get these, go with 2 more Plains and 2 more Mountains; having the former is more important than the latter).

4 Champion of the Parish
4 Doomed Traveller
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Silverblade Paladin
1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
2-3 Hero of Bladehold
2-3 Goldnight Commander (Hero is better, but may be hard to do on a budget).

4 Gather the Townsfolk
3 Thatchers Revolt
4 Pillar of Flame
2 Rally the Peasants
1 Increasing Devotion

This gives you a nice low curve with the possibility of huge blowouts.

e.g. Turn 1 Champion.
Turn 2 Mauler (no bond), attack for 2.
Turn 3 Silverblade Paladin, bond with Mauler, attack for 11.
Turn 4 Rally the Peasants, attack for 21.

Turn 1 Champion,
Turn 2 Gather the Townsfolk, attack for 3.
Turn 3 Thatcher's Revolt, attack for 11.

Mauler into Hero of Bladehold is also a huge blowout; those two cards alone will strike for 10. Goldnight Commander into Thatcher's Revolt is 17 damage by themselves (each of the tokens are in play before the Goldnight triggers resolve, so they all end up 4/4 and the Commander a 5/5).

Other cards worth trying to find are Bonfire of the Damned (in the SB for the mirror, and maybe 1 MD) if you can afford them, Oblivion Ring, and maybe Brimstone Volley. Shrine of Loyal Legions is also a good SB card against Terminus/Day of Judgment/etc. type decks.
Hero of Bladehold and Cavern of Souls are both rather out of my price range, especially considering that Hero of Bladehold rotates out soon, and would therefore need to be replaced... I'll pick up a playset of Goldnight Commander, it should get the job done. I like Kessig Malcontents, especially if I could bond it to Silverblade Paladin, but I'd be willing to drop it for Lightning Mauler. In general, I agree with what you suggested, it looks like it'd be fast out of the gate and would hit hard. My only question would be on the wisdom of using only 22 lands. Would I be able to cast my spells reliably?

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Hero of Bladehold and Cavern of Souls are both rather out of my price range, especially considering that Hero of Bladehold rotates out soon, and would therefore need to be replaced... I'll pick up a playset of Goldnight Commander, it should get the job done. I like Kessig Malcontents, especially if I could bond it to Silverblade Paladin, but I'd be willing to drop it for Lightning Mauler. In general, I agree with what you suggested, it looks like it'd be fast out of the gate and would hit hard. My only question would be on the wisdom of using only 22 lands. Would I be able to cast my spells reliably?

How much do Heroes go for? My area they're only like $10 apiece, largely because so many copies of the promo one are floating around. A quick look on a few online auctions and merchants gives a price range of around 12-15 apiece.

Just to clarify; Silverblade Paladin doesn't double the damage dealt by Malcontents when it comes into play, only combat damage.

22 lands is enough to hit 3-4 lands consistently by Turn 4-5, which is generally all you'll ever need.

If you can't get any Heroes at all, then maybe run 4 Goldnight Commander and 1 extra land if you're concerned, but in my goldfishing with the list I sketched out, it was never a problem.
Heroes are about $10-11 now, but I still need to pick up the two Thalias and two more Paladins. That's not so bad, but if you add on a playset of Hero, I'm running a bill of $60 in the blink of an eye. ($40 of which rotates out soon.) Alas, for I am but a poor college student. Perhaps I'll trade for one or two, but I'm not really keen on going out of my way for them. Perhaps I could use two Hero of Oxid Ridge instead?
I think Four Commanders and an extra land would be fine for me. I just... really hate Mana screwage, and I'm sorta paranoid about it.
In any event, I'd like to start making my money back on this. What else can I do to ensure that my deck will be competitive?

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Heroes are about $10-11 now, but I still need to pick up the two Thalias and two more Paladins. That's not so bad, but if you add on a playset of Hero, I'm running a bill of $60 in the blink of an eye. ($40 of which rotates out soon.) Alas, for I am but a poor college student. Perhaps I'll trade for one or two, but I'm not really keen on going out of my way for them. Perhaps I could use two Hero of Oxid Ridge instead?
I think Four Commanders and an extra land would be fine for me. I just... really hate Mana screwage, and I'm sorta paranoid about it.
In any event, I'd like to start making my money back on this. What else can I do to ensure that my deck will be competitive?

I'd say that beyond the Caverns/Hero of Bladehold, you're looking pretty competitive already. (It's totally understandable if you can't get them, of course).

You could run Hero of Oxid Ridge too, but I'd advise against it. I like Bladehold because it's a nice one-card-comeback; hitting for 7 by itself. It's also sizeable enough to survive against most chump blockers. Hero also costs double-red, whereas the list I structured above is largely white; it wants to be able to play off a single red source if it must.
Yeah, the Hero of Oxid Ridge was just an idea. I'll see how the deck performs in the current version. Thanks for the help.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

This should be obvious but it is to important to not be mentioned.

Mae sure that you have at least 3 Divine Offerings in the sideboard to deal with SoWAP. I lost 0-2 to a U/w delver build last night and the guy was apperently runing 3 in his MB.

I already have 2 O-rings in my MB and 2 in my side. Eventhough I sided in 2 more o-rings plus the 3 divine offerngs I did not drawn any in game 2.

That was my first standard tournament in a month so i don't know if MB SoWaps is what all the Delver decks are doing or it was just that one dude.

Bottom line An oposing creature with SoWAP rapes the deck and it needs to be awnsered. I don't know if it was just bad luck that I did not draw them or that i should run a little more artifact hate to deal with them.
Yeah, I had planned on some Artifact removal in the board. I had kinda been considering Manic Vandal, as it comes with a body, but I'm not really set on that. Swords and Wurmcoils are kinda two of my main concerns, and I'll be glad when they rotate out.
I'm also putting O-rings in my sideboard, for sure. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Yeah, I had planned on some Artifact removal in the board. I had kinda been considering Manic Vandal, as it comes with a body, but I'm not really set on that. Swords and Wurmcoils are kinda two of my main concerns, and I'll be glad when they rotate out.
I'm also putting O-rings in my sideboard, for sure. 

Revoke Existence is great against wurmcoils because it gets exiled and its controller gets no wurm tokens.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Another SB card you might want to get 2 or so of is Zealous Conscripts. Stealing Titans and killing the opponent, stealing Planeswalkers the turn before they go ultimate. Very powerful.

Agreed that you want Revoke Existence or Divine Offering (probably 2 total) and 2 Oblivion Ring in the SB. 
I like Revoke Existance a bit more; Wurmcoil Engines can be really annoying. I can probably pick up a few of those at my local hobby shop. I like Zealous Conscripts very much. I really do. But I'm gonna wait on that one. Bit pricey.
 Right now, I'm trying to find a good counter for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. I need either cheap, instant-speed banishment, or some burn spell that can hit him for seven, before he hits the field and wipes anything with 1-2 toughness. I lost my last game day to two different decks that played him: a Ramp and a Frites.
Other than that, I'm wondering if I should board in some extra burn, for Delver decks. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I like Revoke Existance a bit more; Wurmcoil Engines can be really annoying. I can probably pick up a few of those at my local hobby shop. I like Zealous Conscripts very much. I really do. But I'm gonna wait on that one. Bit pricey.
 Right now, I'm trying to find a good counter for Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. I need either cheap, instant-speed banishment, or some burn spell that can hit him for seven, before he hits the field and wipes anything with 1-2 toughness. I lost my last game day to two different decks that played him: a Ramp and a Frites.
Other than that, I'm wondering if I should board in some extra burn, for Delver decks. 

Against Frites decks you could include Nihil Spellbomb and/or Grafdigger's Cage to shut down their graveyard shenanigans. I know you said you would wait on the conscripts but they are also good for stealing Elesh and wiping your opponents board. Also Elesh Norn has to resolve before you can deal damage to her so the effects will still hit the field. Oblivion ring can also get rid of elesh, however, she does have to hit the field.
Right. Thanks. Tongue Out
Nihil Spellbomb kind looks like the budget option, and shouldn't be all that hard to pick up.
What else should I be on the lookout for?
 Right now, these card have been suggested for SB:

2-3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Revoke Existance
3 O-Ring
2-3 Fiend Hunter?
2 Manic Vandal?
2 Zealous Conscripts?

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Right. Thanks. Tongue Out
Nihil Spellbomb kind looks like the budget option, and shouldn't be all that hard to pick up.
What else should I be on the lookout for?
 Right now, these card have been suggested for SB:

2-3 Nihil Spellbomb
3 Revoke Existance
3 O-Ring
2-3 Fiend Hunter?
2 Manic Vandal?
2 Zealous Conscripts?

Some other cards i can think of are Celestial Purge for the B/R permanents. Divine Deflection Nevermore (maybe) and perhaps a Devil's Play. I would reccomend the clestial purges first over the other cards i listed.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that Timely Reinforcements could be helpful as well.
You certainly want some Divine Offering in there as well as Revoke the instant speed is needed to kill a sword in response to them equipping.

I'd probably make the sideboard something like this.

2 [CARD]Bonfire of the Damned[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Celestial Purge[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Divine Offering[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Oblivion Ring[/CARD]
1 [CARD]Revoke Existence[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Riders of Gavony[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Timely Reinforcements[/CARD]
2 [CARD]Zealous Conscripts[/CARD]

Edit. If there is more Delver in your area and less Zombies then you should play [CARD]Combust[/CARD] over Celestial Purge to deal with flipped Delvers and Restoration Angel.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Incidentaly, I traded my single, solitary Bonfire for the majority of my current deck. (Two Silverblade Paladin and a playset of Champion of the Parish, plus a few other things.) Upshot, getting two more Bonfires is not an option. I like the look of Nihil Spellbomb for dealing with Frites and Zombies. Other than that, and (perhaps) adding Divine Deflection this looks good. (As far as I can tell. Humor me; I'm new at this.)
As a bonus, I think I can easily aquire the bulk of this.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Incidentaly, I traded my single, solitary bonfire for the majority of my current deck. (Two Silverblade Paladin and a playset of Champoin of the Parish, plus a few other things.) Upshot, getting two more Bonfires is not an option. I like the look of Nihil Spellbomb for dealing with Frites and Zombies. Other than that, and swapping two of the Divine Offerings for two Revoke Existence, this looks good. (As far as I can tell. Humor me; I'm new at this.)
As a bonus, I think I can easily aquire the bulk of this.

I do not blame you for trading your bonfire. It is a very tradeable and in-demand card. When and if i get one im definitly trading it.

and I would say that you have a good sideboard.

Great, thanks for the help, guys!

www.nogoblinsallowed.com