Fixing Equipment on the Pregens

So, I decided to take a stab at changing the equipment on the pregens to get better options.

I discovered the charachter that had spent the most for himself was the Human Cleric of Pelor, and rounded this number up to 156gp as the base amount that each charachter can spend. I see this is likely not the way they did the numbers - they likely did it as a party amount and spread the equipment as they felt it was needed.

I additionally made sure that the equipment did not go over the encumbered level for each charchter. For the Dwarf Fighter and the Dwarven Cleric of Moradin, this was not difficult at all. For the Human Cleric of Pelor, I didn't change much and there's still some available weight to be carried.

For the Halfling Rogue I am .5 lbs away from the limit. The Size and Strength rules on page 4 really screw the Halfling Rogue because he doesn't have the carrying capacity to take very little of the items that help him gain advantage and keeps him stuck on leather armor. I understand this is the way it was done in the past, but I think halfing the encumberance limit is too strong. I think subtracting 2 from the score before multiplying by 10 would be a more workable number (would raise the Hafling Rogue from 60 to 100lbs, which would be very helpful).

Since there seems to be missing something from the adventerur's kit, I only tallied those things the charachters are shown to be carrying.

I made no changes to the High Elf Wizard's equipment. It didn't seem necessary. I think since the High Elf Wizard specifically has weapon proficiency in daggers and quarterstaffs that it can use Dex through these weapons. For the Cleric of Pelor I think it doesn't matter what weapon you take, you should just keep using Searing Light even if you are attacking at disadvantage for being adjacent to an enemy.

Dwarf Cleric of Moradin
Show

Adventurer's Gear
Holy symbol of Moradin
backpack
mess kit
50 ft hempen rope
tinderbox
10 torches
7 days rations
waterskin
signet ring
sealing wax
traveler's clothes

Armor and Weapons
Chainmail (dex mod negative, so light armor is no good)
Heavy Shield stays
Warhammer stays
Add 5 Hammers - This gives you a ranged weapon option, and being a mountain dwarf, I think the damage die increases by one size

Remaining coinage is 95cp, 60sp
Max Weight - 150lbs
Weight Carried - 73lbs

Human Cleric of Pelor
Show

Adventurer's Gear
backpack
mess kit
50 ft hempen rope
tinderbox
10 torches
7 days rations
waterskin
healer's kit - Herbalism
holy symbol of Pelor
1 flask of holy water
ink
ink pen
10 sheets of paper 2sp/sheet
vestments
1 dose of antitoxin
1 healing potion

Armor and Weapons
Studded Leather gives you 1 point of AC over Scale.
Don't even bother with a weapon, your sheet says you can wield basic or simple missile weapons. Finesse is neither
option. If you can actually take finesse weapons, take either Quarterstaff or Short Sword.

Remaining Coinage is
5cp, 59sp, 17gp if taking no weapon
5cp, 55sp, 17gp if taking quarterstaff
5cp, 59sp, 7gp if taking short sword

Maximum Weight - 90lbs
Weight carried - 68-73lbs

Dwarf Fighter
Show

Adventurer's Gear
backpack
mess kit
50 ft hempen rope
tinderbox
10 torches
7 days rations
waterskin
lucky charm
souvenir of previous campaign
bone dice
Grappling Hook

Armor and Weapons
Chainmail gives 15 AC and lots of penalites, change to Chain Shirt for 15 AC and no penalites
Greataxe
Ranged weapons - two options
1.Crossbow, Heavy
  20 Bolts
2.20 Handaxes

Remaining Coinage is
95cp, 59sp, 21gp if Taking Heavy Crossobw
95cp, 59sp, 13gp it taking 20 handaxes
95cp, 59sp, 23gp if taking 10 handaxes

Maximum Weight - 320lbs (Endurance feature doubles it)
Weight Carried
99lbs - crossbow
134lbs - 10 Handaxes
184 lbs - 20 Handaxes

Halfing Rogue
Show

Adventurer's Gear
Commoner's clothing with hidden pockets
backpack
mess kit
50 ft hempen rope
tinderbox
10 torches
7 days rations
waterskin
thieve's tools
lantern, hooded - for sneaking, especially after level 2 (hood the lantern)
3 Pouches of 100 Ball Bearings - for gaining advantage

Armor and Weapons
Leather Armor
Sling
20 bullets
Dagger

Coinage remaining is
95cp, 56sp, 27gp

Maximum Weight - 60lbs
Weight 59.5 lbs

If you have noticed any errors in my math, please let me know where I made them. If you think any of my suggestions are inferior to another choice, please let me know what you think is the better choice and why.

Conjurer of Cheap Tricks: A Conjuration Handbook

Just a comment on the rogue encumbrance limit, it says that you halve the limit if they are below small
The text on p.4 says   "For each size category below Small, halve these weights." with the weight being referred to are the carrying, maximum, lift, drag, and push weights
Playtest Pelor's Cleric inv:

Quaterstaff 5 sp 1d8 blun 4 lb
scale armor 50 gp 30 lb
adv.kit 10 gp 40  lb
healer's kit free 1 lb
holy symbol 1 gp
flask of holy water 25 gp 1 lb
ink 8 gp
ink pen 1 sp
10 sheets of paper 4gp
vestments ?
antitoxin free
healing potion free 1 lb

Total: 98.6 gp

I dont see 156 gp.
On the topic of encumbrance, specifically for small Races such as Halflings and Gnomes: While your suggestion would make their life easier in-so-much-as carrying weight is concerned, I believe it would invalidate part of what playing a small character entails. Their physical limitations are as important as what benefits their size conveys.

scale armor 50 gp 30 lb
adv.kit 10 gp 40  lb
healer's kit free 1 lb
holy symbol 1 gp
ink 8 gp
ink pen 1 sp
10 sheets of paper 4gp
vestments ?
antitoxin free
healing potion free 1 lb

I dont see 156 gp.

I believe the point was the effective value of the cleric of Pelor's gear.  It may have those items for free at the start, but they do have an actual gp value.

Personally, I'm wondering what happened to the proposed switch to a silver standard.  A lot of stuff seems even more expensive than in 3rd edition, and we're still using the gold standard.
Just a comment on the rogue encumbrance limit, it says that you halve the limit if they are below small
The text on p.4 says   "For each size category below Small, halve these weights." with the weight being referred to are the carrying, maximum, lift, drag, and push weights

THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy! I can sort of understand it for tiny creatures.

scale armor 50 gp 30 lb
adv.kit 10 gp 40  lb
healer's kit free 1 lb
holy symbol 1 gp
ink 8 gp
ink pen 1 sp
10 sheets of paper 4gp
vestments ?
antitoxin free
healing potion free 1 lb

I dont see 156 gp.

I see that you think the Herbalism items are free. I see no reason to think this. The Herbalism feat clearly states he can create them for 25gp, but there is no indication that these were just given to him. I could just as easily assume the Cleric of Moradin gets a Warhammer for free because he worships Moradin. There is nothing there to support that.

Human Cleric of Pelor Existing Equipment
Quarterstaff - 5sp
scale armor - 50gp
backpack - 2gp
mess kit - 5sp
50 ft hempen rope - 1gp
tinderbox - 1gp
10 torches at 5 per torch- 50 cp
7 days rations at 5sp for 1 day - 35sp
waterskin - 1gp
healer's kit - Herbalism makes this 25gp instead of 50gp
holy symbol of Pelor - 1gp
1 flask of holy water - 25gp
ink pen - 1sp
10 sheets of paper 4sp/sheet - 40sp
vestments - ?
1 dose of antitoxin - Herbalism makes this 25gp instead of 50gp
1 healing potion - Herbalism makes this 25gp instead of 50gp

My math was wrong, it should be higher.
Human Cleric of Pelor Spent 156gp, 86sp, 50cp

I did break the adventurer's kit into individual items, so let's look at that, it does appear there is small savings there:

Adventurer's kit - 10 GP
backpack - 2gp
mess kit - 5sp
50 ft of hempen rope - 1gp
tinderbox - 1gp
10 torches - 50cp
7 days rations - 35sp
Waterskin 1gp

15gp, 40sp, 50cp

So, we subtract that from the Cleric's total above, and add 10 back for the adv kit:

151gp, 46sp, 0cp

Still a nice big number for starting equipment. I rounded up to the next gp for ease, so I'd say 152gp.

I believe the point was the effective value of the cleric of Pelor's gear.  It may have those items for free at the start, but they do have an actual gp value.

Personally, I'm wondering what happened to the proposed switch to a silver standard.  A lot of stuff seems even more expensive than in 3rd edition, and we're still using the gold standard.

As far as I can tell, the only things that are 'free' are those with no specifed value (such as vestments and a few of the fighter's items).

They have said they are still working on armor, weapons, and adventurer's gear, so it might be that this is still going to shift.

I see that you think the Herbalism items are free. I see no reason to think this. The Herbalism feat clearly states he can create them for 25gp, but there is no indication that these were just given to him.

Well, it mighta been this line...

Special:
If you gain this feat at the time of character creation, you start play with a healer’s kit, one dose of antitoxin, and one healing potion.

That's pretty solid evidence for "free."

Yep, I missed that,

My apologies to Zarza.

That means the Dwarven Cleric has the highest gold count, IIRC. 155gp, 40sp, 5cp, let me know if I messed the math up there.
I may be missing the point, but where the heck is the dwarf fighter carrying 20 handaxes?
Parenthood: Gain rage class feature. While enraged, take ongoing psychic damage equal to half the child's level. Dealing damage while enraged is against your Code of Conduct and you will be depowered.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg)

^^Wow, is that really how I came across in that personality thing or was this chosen at random?
I may be missing the point, but where the heck is the dwarf fighter carrying 20 handaxes?

As in on his body? That's why I suggested 10 is more believable or feasible.

But 20 is better than 10 in most circumstances.

I guess in a bag o' axes.
Sign In to post comments