Skype play with registered players

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reading the FAQ for DnDNext it states that at this time I cannot use Sype to play my game with players that are registered with the playtest. As my players are spread across the country I have only been able to read through the playtest packet as a DM with no players to play with.
This thread is to gather support for this option to be included in the VERY near future. As this is a public playtest I honestly cannot see the difference between me calling up a signed up friend to discuss the rules and actually playing the game if the call is private between the group.

Would anyone else like to see this?
Sure... This is something I want to try since I started D&D.

This is a playtest right? So would be playtesting greater if we tried that option too??
(I know there are some online groups already, but I've never had the oportunity to participate)

We are gonna playtesting the playtest... Sounds fun to me, and I can do it from my home rather spent time traveling great distances with exams comming later this month
Yes, yes they should allow skype games and forum games and email games and online games in general.

The cat is out of the bag, the rules are litterally everywhere one tries to look for them at, and many of us have groups that are only online.  It would be nice to not have to solo the game.
From the standpoint of ensuring everyone in the group has signed the Playtest Agreement, it's actually EASIER to verify each member of the online group has signed the Agreement (a copy of the Welcome email shoudl suffice) than it would a physical group.  There's nothing preventing a DM from making copies of the Next rules and distribute them to his/her group.

So many of us with children and lives outside of gaming HAVE to play online or via play by post forums to play.  WotC is alienating a fairly large contingent of people who buy their products by effectively killing their ability to play the game.

The feedback would be the same regardless of how the game is played.  It's an insult to online players and a disservice to the ENTIRE REASON for the playtest (to get feedback) to disallow games to be played online.

I've cancelled my Insider membership, and will not buy a single, solitary thing WotC sells until this rule is changed.
All of my players are people I've known for years but just happen to live all over the country so its not even a problem of not trusting or knowing who im playig the game with.
I understand where they are coming from but I am glad I am not the only one that finds this is hindering us to the outmost...

Please revoke that rule - people who want to cheat or blatantly ignore NDA's and gentlemanly agreements will have done so by now and circulated the docs to their hearts content - let us expose this game and test it as much as we can without feeling we are going against the laws

I have friends from groups going back to our original campaign wanting to try this and online is the only way to do so unless I wait for all of us to meet in the same country (sadly now happening only in marriages or funerals)

(ok I am being a bit dramatic to add flair to the argument - I consent )
I think that some kind of 'secure' online lay should be allowed.  As long the playtest is private (ie. not open for the general public to read/listen in on) then it should be ok.  You'll have to take people's word for it that they signed up... but frankly that is the same with a face to face group.
WotC lawyers are not going to barge through your front door if you play the game on skype. Just so you know.
No they won't, and all it really means is we don't get to share our feedback, but why should our feedback be held to less important than that of a group of people who play on the kitchen table?
No they won't, and all it really means is we don't get to share our feedback, but why should our feedback be held to less important than that of a group of people who play on the kitchen table?

Why wouldn't you get to share your feedback?
All those mindflayers must be doing something between editions. Maybe they are monitering Skype for the pychic pressence od DnDNext being played.
I understand why the D&D Next team is not allowing for Play-by-Post, Skype, Forums or Private IM chatrooms... AND they are only going to penalize those that follow the rules.  Right now, that cat is out of the bag; do a Google search for the D&D Next PDFs and there are tons of unauthorized copies for the general public to view at their leisure without agreeing with the NDA as most of us have.  Guess I'm lucky to have local players; if not, I'd be S.o.o.L.  WotC, please change your stance on this; you're only hindering those who follow the rules... those that don't care are already doing it.
WotC lawyers are not going to barge through your front door if you play the game on skype. Just so you know.

Yeah that FAQ was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I'll play my game how I see fit thank you very much and if one of my players doesn't want to sign up for a D&D account when we try this train wreck out I don't plan on sending him home with his dice in shame...

Why wouldn't you get to share your feedback?

Because if they (Wizards) finds out we are not allowed to participate in the surveys (Theoritically) which is making hte majority of the choices.
Howdy folks,

Just wanted to bump this thread to let everyone know that the FAQ has been updated.
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd%2...

Specifically...
Can I run an online game via email, Skype, Google Hangout or a play-by-post forum?

Yes, you may run online games via Skype, Google Hangout or play-by-post forum provided you to do not post or upload any transcripts from your playtest, upload any playtest materials and make sure that all members of your group have signed up to playtest through the official playtest sign up process.

Have fun playtesting! 

All around helpful simian