Magic the Gathering art for inspiration

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Have any of you players or DMs ever used or turned to MtG art for ideas?

MtG has a rich tradition of fantasy art, and that alone can inspire locations, villans, etc. The flavor text found on some cards help as well. I came to D&D through MtG becasue I met my best friend at a game store. When we talk D&D, we often use Magic as a common reference point. Ravnica: City of guilds was a set with 10 different guilds and each of them pretty much represented one of the 9 D&D 3.5 alignments.

Half the background of these forums is MtG art.
I once read up on a method someone uses to randomly generate quests by drawing MTG cards using Gatherer.

That said, my current campaign's main enemies are heavily based on Phyrexians.  
MTG does have some stunning art and the kinds of themes of the colors can really help set the tone for an enviroment.
Someone once had the idea of turning Dominaria into an actual D&D setting.  Personally I think it'd be rather awesome, and wish something had come of it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I actually use MtG art more often than any other art for my game. Angels and demons, especially... they look so regal and awesome.

And Raymond Swanland is my hero.

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Jace Beleren is one of the more commonly requested images that we mod in the "What Do You Think My Character Looks Like?" thread...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

While it was for a GURPS game not D&D I have made a character based on The juniper order advocate.

For those who do not know it the pic is an older, silver haired knight in shining platemail bowing and offering his sword to an elven  lady. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Someone once had the idea of turning Dominaria into an actual D&D setting.  Personally I think it'd be rather awesome, and wish something had come of it.

I know someone around here is using Zendikar as a D&D setting.  I've seen it in their signature.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.