A New Kind of Instant/Sorcery - Erudite

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so the flavour I wanted to imply is that you the planeswalker are basically showing one of your creatures how to cast a spell. You are teaching this creature by example. So you cast a Scorching Spear and by doing so, you demonstrate how to your Orcish Spy, or whatever.

Blessed Fire
Instant - Erudite (c)
Deal 1 damage to target creature.
After this spell resolves, it becomes an Enchantment - Aura that reads:
"Enchanted Creature has - Deal 1 damage to target creature
or player." Attach this Aura to any creature.

Okay, so with some instants and sorceries this would be really powerful. That only cost two, but I wasn't even sure about that. How much should something more powerful cost?

Cold Indifference
Instant - Erudite (c?)
Exile target creature.
After this spell resolves, it becomes an Enchantment Aura that reads:
"Enchanted creature has - Exile target creature." Attach it
to any creature.

I mean, you get to at least exile two creatures for , but it has greater potential than that. I feel like this would be a stalemate breaker, or even the sort of card that turns you from the loser to the winner.

Mindspasm
Sorcery - Erudite (u?)
Deal 3 damage to target player. That player discards two cards.
"Enchanted creature has - Deal 3 damage to target player.
That player discards two cards." Attach it to any creature.

Inkwave
Instant - Erudite (c)
Add to your mana pool.
"Enchanted creature has - Add to your mana pool."
Attach it to a creature.

That one underpowered? Should I make it a straight dark ritual effect?

Anyway, what do you guys think? Instants are pretty powerful, but auras are less powerful right now. Feedback appreciated.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Oh, and the wording: "After this spell resolves" - is that how I should be putting it? I don't think I've ever seen that on a card. Should it be "as" or something?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
How about instead of becoming an Aura, it simply grants a creature the ability: ": You may cast target card named Blessed Fire from your graveyard."

EDIT: Or just make them auras with ETB triggers.
It's an interesting idea. I like it in principle.

Blessed Fire is undercosted. I think its ok at .

The others are just too expensive. Yes,they can be game winners, but I'd make a few more lower cost ones first. Also lower the color intensity. Anything with 4 or more of a color symbol is almost bound to be mythic.
Silasw... I'm officially ashmed I didn't think of that. Good show!
How about instead of becoming an Aura, it simply grants a creature the ability: ": You may cast target card named Blessed Fire from your graveyard."

#1 allows you to chain "teach" creatures, since casting Blessed Fire from your graveyard would allow you to grant the ability again.
#2 could work, but then you'd have to give all of the instants Flash.  It also wouldn't allow you to cast it without a creature to attach to though, which is a change from how the originally presented cards work

#1 allows you to chain "teach" creatures, since casting Blessed Fire from your graveyard would allow you to grant the ability again.
#2 could work, but then you'd have to give all of the instants Flash.  It also wouldn't allow you to cast it without a creature to attach to though, which is a change from how the originally presented cards work

Ah, you're right about #1. A clause could fix that, but #2 seems way simpler anyway. The gameplay is slightly different, but the mechanic would be a lot nicer rules-wise.

Another option: Make them like Haunt. They can grant abilities without turning into Auras, and since they would be exiled, the player can place them directly under the creature to solve memory issues.
The magicpablo666 way would have to be:

Blessed Fire
Instant - Erudite (c)
Blessed Fire deals 1 damage to target creature.
Put an Aura enchantment token onto the battlefield attached to target creature. It has enchant creature and "Enchanted creature has ': Enchanted creature deals 1 damage to target creature.'"

A few notes:

- Instants and sorceries can't enter the battlefield. Ever. You might think that this is an okay way to do it, but thatnks to the endless intricacies of the game, there are ways to copy a permanent into something else, with the results of having an actual instant or sorcery on the battlefield. It really isn't worth the effort.
- The token path has a lot of messy issues, especially if you want the aura to be dealing the damage. It's just needlessly wordy.

silasw is right: making it an aura to being with is just so much cleaner.

Blessed Fire
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Blessed Fire enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature.
Enchanted creature has ": Blessed Fire deals 1 damage to target creature."

See? Way easier. 
Aw, shucks. You guys are right. Okay now they will be just enchantments with etb effects. Thanks for the input. And thank you Exxile for the cost input. I will try changing that momentarily.

139359831 wrote:
I don't like the Aura with ETB triggers for this i like a new Keyword....

Blessed Fire
Instant
Train (When ~ is cast from anywhere but exile you may put a Trained Counter on target creature you control. You may cast ~ from exile without paying it's mana cost by tapping a creature with a Trained Counter on it and removing a Trained Counter.)

Blessed fire Deals 1 damage to target creature then exile ~ if it was cast from your hand.

This also opens the Exile area up to manipulation....

Ooh, I like this kind of thing. I came up with a similar idea once, but instead of attaching to a creature automatically when cast, the spell was modular: you could cast it, or invest in it as a pseudo-aura.

Blessed Fire 
Sorcery
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Spellshare (: Exile this card from your hand attached to target creature. That creature gains ": You may cast a copy of this spell.")

I liked this approach because it allowed me to cost the spells somewhat efficiently. (Note that the spell's mana cost must be paid each time it's copied.) Also, by making them sorceries by default, spellsharing gives the added advantage of instant speed, if you can afford to jump through the extra hoops.

EDIT: An alternative closer to your original vision...

Spellshare (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell. If you do, as it resolves, exile it attached to a creature you control. That creature gains ": You may cast a copy of this spell.")

Blessed Fire 
Sorcery
Spellshare (: Exile this card from your hand attached to target creature. That creature gains ": You may cast a copy of this spell.")

Spellshare (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell. If you do, as it resolves, exile it attached to a creature you control. That creature gains ": You may cast a copy of this spell.")

Okay, I like the second one - I mean I like both, but the second is more of what I was going for. I think the Spellshare cost may be high, I know it is instant speed, but it is twice as much as Power of Fire. What I like about it is that if you really need to deal the damage early game then you can, instead of having to wait until, with some of my cards, turn 7 or so. I think the flavor is more of what I was going for with this. Thanks, man.

EDIT: Oh, no it isn't Instant speed anymore. You changed it to sorcery. And you changed it to 2 damage. Okay, I suppose that's fairly balanced. Mine will stay instant, though, and probably still only 1 damage, too.

139359831 wrote:
Ooh, I like this kind of thing. I came up with a similar idea once, but instead of attaching to a creature automatically when cast, the spell was modular: you could cast it, or invest in it as a pseudo-aura.

Blessed Fire 
Sorcery

Hah, once again proving that duplicated ideas are not necessarily stolen  I'm using that exact mechanic in an upcoming set flavored around a series of magical universities, and calling it "Study"
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

Blessed Fire 
Sorcery

Hah, once again proving that duplicated ideas are not necessarily stolen  I'm using that exact mechanic in an upcoming set flavored around a series of magical universities, and calling it "Study"

Great Minds. . .

139359831 wrote:
It's no coincidence, fallingman, I was perusing one of your sagathia threads and the setting directly inspired it! I'm glad you came up with the same idea too, because it certainly wasn't being put to use in my head.

As for instant speed, if I used the second version of the mechanic I probably would revert the spells back to instants.
this is an awesome idea