Are there alot of women who play?

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello im new to this i played a little when in middle school but now that im out of college i wanted to get back into it. I was wandering is it hard for women to get into this? I am female i was just wandering do women get a hard time since this is more of a guys thing. Thanks for ne input.
Well I really don't think so as my gf actually plays mtg with me. She kicks my butt too. So I don't think that girls have too much a hard time with this at all
thank you for your reply hopefully i will be able to kick butt soon too
My sister got into MTG the same time as me and she has built herself a nice swamp and mountain deck which has proved very strong many times when she plays me. So I think girls in MTG is pretty cool.
Do you mean have a hard time as in community reaction? Not that I've noticed.
Do you mean do women have a harder time understanding/being good at it? thats just a silly thing to ask.
I meant in the community but from what people are saying theres nothing to even to really worry about
There are generally more males than females, but there are always females playing at the places I go.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
Most people love for more women to get into Magic, so if anything, you'd have an easier time (if you like the attention). 

There are a few rotten apples though, women pushed away from the game because of the attitudes of some a-holes, so there is a possibility to have a hard time but that would be an unfortunate exception. 

As a little side note, a lot of women have done very well on the competitive scene lately, which has sparked a lot of "women and magic" columns and discussions lately =) 

There are a few rotten apples though, women pushed away from the game because of the attitudes of some a-holes, so there is a possibility to have a hard time but that would be an unfortunate exception.  


To be fair that really doesn't have anything to do with women, there are several srsbsns jerkasauruses who probably would have driven me away with their anti-fun auras were I not especially strong-willed. Point is you can't let jerks get to you regardless of the context.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I think there are more players with boobies around than females Frown

There are a few rotten apples though, women pushed away from the game because of the attitudes of some a-holes, so there is a possibility to have a hard time but that would be an unfortunate exception.  


To be fair that really doesn't have anything to do with women, there are several srsbsns jerkasauruses who probably would have driven me away with their anti-fun auras were I not especially strong-willed. Point is you can't let jerks get to you regardless of the context.



Oh certainly, men are sometimes driven away too. 

What is and what isn't sexist is an ongoing discussion. There are people who are just equal douchebags, being lame to everyone around. The question is when is something fuelled by being targeted at a girl. 

There are a few rotten apples though, women pushed away from the game because of the attitudes of some a-holes, so there is a possibility to have a hard time but that would be an unfortunate exception.  


To be fair that really doesn't have anything to do with women, there are several srsbsns jerkasauruses who probably would have driven me away with their anti-fun auras were I not especially strong-willed. Point is you can't let jerks get to you regardless of the context.




Women are a lot more sensitive than men. This is due to their biology (their chief hormone being Estrogen, which directly impacts emotional stability, emotion health) they're naturally more sensitive to just about everything. Also, they're emotions are a lot more severe. What is a little disappointment for a guy, is severe depression for a woman. It's not their fault as I said, it's biology. Most men are oblivious to this and don't treat women with the sensitivity they need to. In fact, RP's statement is standing proof. Which might be hard for some guys to understand, since some guys are themselves sensitive. However, what I said is very real and women are far more emotionally sensitive.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

As mentioned, it's likely that you won't have any problems getting into the game, but be aware that women are very much a minority of Magic players. At the 32 person FNM my local store runs, there's two women at most and both are there because their boyfriends play.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I think there are more players with boobies around than females Frown



This ^ 
My decks, mostly casuals, but some I use online with some small changes: http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=91484
I think there are more players with boobies around than females

try not to get too jealous if you find some of the men have bigger boobs than you.

I feel that nerds are nerds and there is not much difference in who likes what. I'm a girl but ive always been a nerd so its easy to get into weird games and stuff.
I feel that nerds are nerds and there is not much difference in who likes what.


Blatant lies. Some of the deepest divisions between nerds lie along fandom lines. Admittedly, those nerds who get worked into a huff over things like Star Trek VS Doctor Who and PS3 VS XBox360 tend to be the same nerds the rest of us try to disassociate ourselves from, but they're still very loud and very vocal.

Admittedly, there's a pool of common items you can reasonably expect most nerds to be fans of (And if they're not fans, they'll still have an ardent opinion about the item in question) such as Skyrim, Doctor Who, and of course M:tG.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I was talking about gender lines. There's an even distribution of fandoms in each gender imo.
Also, I think i have too much hipster blood, as I find myself hating all those popular nerd items.
I have too much hipster blood in my coffee.

I'm just kidding, I don't drink coffee. 
I love girls
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Disregard women acquire chase rares.

There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.

There are a few rotten apples though, women pushed away from the game because of the attitudes of some a-holes, so there is a possibility to have a hard time but that would be an unfortunate exception.  


To be fair that really doesn't have anything to do with women, there are several srsbsns jerkasauruses who probably would have driven me away with their anti-fun auras were I not especially strong-willed. Point is you can't let jerks get to you regardless of the context.


I guess I'm lucky then, everyone I've played so far have been friendly and amazingly helpful and even corrected me on a few things while I was still learning that I didn't know! (like markov blademaster doing 3 damage instead of 2 and getting 2 counters instead of 1 each time she does damage).
I have too much coffee in my blood. It tastes awful.
My girlfriend went with me to the Mirrodin Besieged prerelease and played against one of the store employees in one match. She beat him, and as  reward, he gave her a playset of the promo Hero of Bladehold. And her sister was there, too. She lost all her matches and got a Gideon Jura as some sort of consolation prize. You can bet your britches that neither of them would have received these prizes if they were males, so being a girl in MtG has it's perks, I suppose.
 
I guess I'm lucky then, everyone I've played so far have been friendly and amazingly helpful and even corrected me on a few things while I was still learning that I didn't know! (like markov blademaster doing 3 damage instead of 2 and getting 2 counters instead of 1 each time she does damage).


Yeah, most people are pretty legit, I'm just saying if you do run into the ocasional jerk, don't let them get you down because they're just, well, jerks. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I guess I'm lucky then, everyone I've played so far have been friendly and amazingly helpful and even corrected me on a few things while I was still learning that I didn't know! (like markov blademaster doing 3 damage instead of 2 and getting 2 counters instead of 1 each time she does damage).



It's not so much being lucky as the vast majority of player will be friendly =)

I was talking about gender lines. There's an even distribution of fandoms in each gender imo.



Is this right? I have the feeling that if you at look at for example the fanbase of anime you find a higher percentage of girls compared to other nerdy stuff.
I think there are more players with boobies around than females

try not to get too jealous if you find some of the men have bigger boobs than you.



got me Cry
I think the kind of jerkery dudes will engage in towards ladies is qualitatively different to the kind of jerkery dudes will indulge in towards other dudes.
I was talking about gender lines. There's an even distribution of fandoms in each gender imo.



Is this right? I have the feeling that if you at look at for example the fanbase of anime you find a higher percentage of girls than other nerdy stuff.


Either it's wrong (Meaning that the fan split on nerdy things isn't 50/50 male/female) or somewhere there's a hidden but absolutely massive network of female gamers holding secret female-only FNMs. Because the split of male to female Magic players I've met is definitely closer to 90/10 than 50/50. This is including the large number of casual players at the college I go to. I tend to spot casual Magic games fairly regularly and it's very rare for any of the players to be female. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
 
I guess I'm lucky then, everyone I've played so far have been friendly and amazingly helpful and even corrected me on a few things while I was still learning that I didn't know! (like markov blademaster doing 3 damage instead of 2 and getting 2 counters instead of 1 each time she does damage).


Yeah, most people are pretty legit, I'm just saying if you do run into the ocasional jerk, don't let them get you down because they're just, well, jerks. 


Yea, I just havn't ran into any yet. I know every fanbase has at least a small group of jerks in it, even more so "competitive" things. I'm honestly surprised by how many people are nice to be frank, even when you put even small things like promo cards on the line some people can get absolutely ruthless but I haven't experienced that once yet(could happen anytime). Then again, it could also be because MTG is still seen as "nerdy" and nerds are usually pretty nice people.

Now if it gets popular and all the dudebros start playing it like halo, I can see it turning bad.
You completely misunderstood what I said.

I'm saying, that girl nerds, and guy nerds, tend to be nerds. Meh I give up. Damn you humans and your communication.
There are generally more males than females, but there are always females playing at the places I go.



Seems to be the rule here as well.

Basically when it comes to nerdom, it's that women were first given the Easy Bake Oven, then told in college that irrationality was not only their nature but their greatest strength. (One of my friends wrote an essay on it for a local skeptic magazine.)

I think there are more players with boobies around than females



So? Duh. (Okay, bad pun, but I couldn't help myself.)

Blatant lies. Some of the deepest divisions between nerds lie along fandom lines. Admittedly, those nerds who get worked into a huff over things like Star Trek VS Doctor Who and PS3 VS XBox360 tend to be the same nerds the rest of us try to disassociate ourselves from, but they're still very loud and very vocal.



A classic usenet flame is "Stick to FidoNet/AOL/WebTV until you grow up." Seems to be dying, but so is usenet.

To be fair, one of the first AOL users I met on usenet DID INDEED TYPE IN ALL CAPS, regularly respond to trolls, and assume everybody was American. Sometimes all three, like telling a dude in Toronto trolling for teenagers "I HOPE THE FBI HOPS ALL OVER UR IP".

I think the kind of jerkery dudes will engage in towards ladies is qualitatively different to the kind of jerkery dudes will indulge in towards other dudes.



Yeah, the phrase "Delver rapes everything" sounds a lot more asinine with a girl. (How did "****" become an acceptable gaming slang anyway?)

The funny thing is, girl gamers tend to be less emphatic about their girl-ness than guys think. Hell, online, girl gamers often pretend to be guys.

Show
If you've read Ready Player One, this is actually explained near the end.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I'm just trying to justifying why I'm not very girly
Well gender stereotypes are just that, avarages. They hold truth in that the majority of girls will be 'girly' and the majority of boys will be 'boyish', but they can never be applied to the individual. Individuals can be anywhere on the spectrum.

A point could be made about how the avarage nerdy girl is less 'girly' than the avarage girl, so you might have a point in that we all tend to be nerds =p
Well my situation is odd anyway, so its fine.
Yeah, the phrase "Delver rapes everything" sounds a lot more asinine with a girl. (How did "****" become an acceptable gaming slang anyway?)

It should sound asinine to everybody because of that whole "basic human empathy" thing. And it's not like dudes can't get raped either. People tend not to take things seriously if they don't think it has anything to do with them.
I think the kind of jerkery dudes will engage in towards ladies is qualitatively different to the kind of jerkery dudes will indulge in towards other dudes.



This is true. Heavens forbid it, many times employees at hobby gaming shops will assume a female buying product is looking for stuff for a boyfriend/husband or male relative. Some players will turn your gender into an insult. A disturbing number of gamers have the mentality of 5 year olds when it comes to females, but the vocabulary and vindictiveness of old men.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Anyone who's had to put up with Bankai knows that all too well...
You know, I will say this for Magic's fandom:

On any other nerd forum I've ever seen, this thread would already totally have degenerated into a bunch of forever-alones spewing hate about Teh Evul Womenz.

Hell, even non-nerd environments aren't exactly comfortable yet with the notion of male on male (let alone female on male!) **** as something other than comedic material.

So yeah. Thanks, you guys, for once again being one of the most welcoming, reasonable geek places on the 'net.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.