Gideon's Law keeper

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent uses Law Keeper's effect to tap one of my creatures, can I put tribute to hunger while he  is the only creature he has on the stack to have him sacrifice it to keep him from tapping the creature, if I do, can my opponent use the same Law Keepers ability to put it on the stack above my tribute to hunger?
it doesn't matter what happens to Gideon's Lawkeeper after its ability has been activated, it will resolve (except, yadda, yadda)
even if you try to destroy it before he activates it he can still use the ability in response to that (except etc.)
proud member of the 2011 community team
[c]Gideon's Lawkeeper[/c] -> Gideon's Lawkeeper
[c]Tribute to Hunger[/c] -> Tribute to Hunger

If my opponent uses Law Keeper's effect to tap one of my creatures, can I put tribute to hunger while he  is the only creature he has on the stack to have him sacrifice it

Yes.
to keep him from tapping the creature,

No.
112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.

if I do, can my opponent use the same Law Keepers ability to put it on the stack above my tribute to hunger?

No, he won't be able to pay the part of the ability's cost.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
(Odd, the message I'm replying to seems to have vanished while I was writing this.)
So when I force him to sacrifice the lawkeeper, the ability of the lawkeeper still resolves first?

No, it resolves afterwards.  Which part of the following sequence would you like explained in greater detail?

1. Opponent's main phase begins.

2. Opponent gets priority and activates the ", : Tap target creature." ability of Gideon's Lawkeeper.  Opponent chooses your (unidentified) creature as the target, and pays the cost by tapping Gideon's Lawkeeper and spending obtained in an unspecified way.

3. Opponent gets priority and passes.

4. You get priority and cast Tribute to Hunger.  You choose opponent as the target, and pay the cost using obtained in an unspecified way.

5. You get priority and pass.

6. Opponent gets priority and passes.  (Opponent might want to activate the ability of the already-tapped Gideon's Lawkeeper, but can't pay the part of its cost.)

7. The top object on the stack (the spell cast in step 4) resolves.  Opponent sacrifices Gideon's Lawkeeper.  You gain 1 life.  The Tribute to Hunger card goes to your graveyard.

8. Opponent gets priority and passes.

9. You get priority and pass.

10. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves.  Your creature becomes tapped.

11. Opponent gets priority ....

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
(Odd, the message I'm replying to seems to have vanished while I was writing this.)
So when I force him to sacrifice the lawkeeper, the ability of the lawkeeper still resolves first?

No, it resolves afterwards.  Which part of the following sequence would you like explained in greater detail?

1. Opponent's main phase begins.

2. Opponent gets priority and activates the ", : Tap target creature." ability of Gideon's Lawkeeper.  Opponent chooses your (unidentified) creature as the target, and pays the cost by tapping Gideon's Lawkeeper and spending obtained in an unspecified way.

3. Opponent gets priority and passes.

4. You get priority and cast Tribute to Hunger.  You choose opponent as the target, and pay the cost using obtained in an unspecified way.

5. You get priority and pass.

6. Opponent gets priority and passes.  (Opponent might want to activate the ability of the already-tapped Gideon's Lawkeeper, but can't pay the part of its cost.)

7. The top object on the stack (the spell cast in step 4) resolves.  Opponent sacrifices Gideon's Lawkeeper.  You gain 1 life.  The Tribute to Hunger card goes to your graveyard.

8. Opponent gets priority and passes.

9. You get priority and pass.

10. The top object on the stack (the ability activated in step 2) resolves.  Your creature becomes tapped.

11. Opponent gets priority ....

The reason why I deleted the post is because I understood, right after I posted it.  I was unware that abilities are independent of their sources is all.