Themed Deck Help - Ice

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to get some opinons on this deck idea that I've been working on for a while now and was hoping someone might be able to give me a little insight/take a liking to my idea and be able to help me improve upon it.  Sadly I don't have all the cards listed - I'm still working on collecting them, but I've always had an affinity for ice and have been wanting to make something like this for a while now, so here it goes:

Land
20x Snow-Covered Island
2 x Scrying Sheets

Creatures
4x Frost Raptor
2x Frost Titan
2x Heidar, Rimewind Master
4x Martyr of Frost
4x Rimewind Cryomancer
4x Rimewind Taskmage
4x Wall of Frost

Other Spells
4x Frost Breath
3x Frozen Solid
3x Ice Cage
4x Counterspell (Okay, so it's not ice, but it was reprinted in Ice Age so that kind of counts.  That, and I needed a spell counter that didn't target just green or red.  ^^; )

Avg Casting Cost = 2.87

Incase you haven't deciphered it, this deck is fairly based around creature lockdown.  It tries it's best to keep creatures down and make them stay down...unless that wicked woman comes out to play...I hate her so.  *cough* Anyway, it's built to be annoying and I expect people to not like me after playing against this deck or even so much as giving me the...cold shoulder?  :3 *shot*

The only problem that I see is that I couldn't find very many heavy hitters that would fit my theme, be blue, and cost effective.  I'm really hoping to keep it Monoblue - I've always imagined that "proper" ice decks should be blue as that is the color of ice...though I guess you could say it's white because of snow or even colorless because a majority of it is actually clear and not blue but when one thinks of cold they often associate it with the color blue so that's what I'm going for.  *shakes fist*

Other spells I thought of that would be interesting/fit the theme:
Crippling Chill - Replace Frost Breath/swap two for?  That way I get some draw acceleration in there.
Frostwind Invoker - Expensive ability, but it would give my creatures (Mainly my Titans) flying.
Icy Manipulator - Exchange for Taskmasters since it doesn't require the snow land to use?
Permafrost Trap - Sideboard for Frost Breath incase I play against a green deck?
Rimefeather Owl - With how many snow lands that will already be had, this would be a massive flyer that could smack people upside the head something fierce.  They're a bit on the expensive side, though. 

Ideas anyone?  :3

Removed as per suggestion:

Rune Snag and Flash Freeze
Counterspell was printed in Ice Age so technically counts and it's better than a conditional counter.  Thanks Krichaiushii!  ^ ^
Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are monoblue and snow. 

That being the case, I recommend Counterspell and Scrying Sheets.

Hard counters always trump conditional counters (especially for the same CMC) and drawing extra cards is good, or so I have heard.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Huh!  I forgot there was an Ice Age version of Counterspell.  It counts (I know I'm being stupid about the whole theme thing, please don't harm me)!  Thanks, Kri.  ^ ^

Also, COMPLETELY forgot about the sheets.  They should work nicely. 
Custom Races
Kt'Lahn (Last Update: Oct 22, 2010)
Noble tiger people who will do almost anything to maintain honor.

Custom Classes
Soulforged (Last Update: Jul 23, 2010)
Incarnum Defender

PEACH if you would.

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Sign In to post comments