Monster Stat Block

The big thing I'm missing in the monster stat blocks in the module are the initiative modifiers. I have to keep the bestiary PDF open just to look this up for each encounter.
Yeah. I guess it would make sense as the very first element in the monster line. So...
Hobgoblins (3): Init +1; AC 15; hp 11; longsword +4 (1d8+1) or longbow +4 (1d8+1)
And the stats, for saves and checks.
Second that.  Just ran 1st session, the only thing I had to look for in Bestiary was stat bonuses. and initiative, if that's different than a Dex check.  
I'm perfectly satisfied with the simplicity of the monster stat blocks; provided you're willing to take notes you can copy it over in about 15 seconds.
I think the stat blocks need ability modifiers, but not ability scores.  Append Str+1, Dex +0, etc. at the end of the existing stat block and you're good.  

Ability modifiers are critical if your players are going to get creative and start forcing contests, and of course, they are the new saving throws.  They need to be in there.  Initiative should = Dex mod for most monsters shouldn't it? 
I think the stat blocks need ability modifiers, but not ability scores.  Append Str+1, Dex +0, etc. at the end of the existing stat block and you're good.  

Ability modifiers are critical if your players are going to get creative and start forcing contests, and of course, they are the new saving throws.  They need to be in there.  Initiative should = Dex mod for most monsters shouldn't it? 

Yup, that would do it.
The big thing I'm missing in the monster stat blocks in the module are the initiative modifiers. I have to keep the bestiary PDF open just to look this up for each encounter.

+1, I noticed that too.  Initiative modifers definitely should be included in the stat blocks in the module. In fact, all the ability modifiers should be listed since ability rolls are used for everything now.

Yup, that would do it.

I've actually pulled the short stat blocks out of the module, added ability modifiers and treasure, and then created an annotated map that shows me where all the critters are at the start of the session.  For the most part, I can run the sprawling room-to-room combats from my map and cheat-sheet, and really only need to reference the module for room descriptions here and there.
ckandem - that is great feedbakc to Wizards for how they should format their modules.

I had heard ahead about the initiative issue, so went in and noted it before hand. And then I did wish I had ability modifiers for saving throws during the session. For the ability scores, I'd like a listing for where there are modifiers only:

Orc: Init 0; blah blah blah; Str/Con +1, Int -1, Wis/Cha: -2
or
Minotaur: Init +1; blah blah blah; Str +4, Dex +1, Con +3, Int -2, Wis +2, Cha -1
or
Medusa: Init +3; blah blah blah; Str +1, Dex +3, Cha +2
or
Owlbear: Init +1; blah blah blah; Str/Con +3; Dex/Wis +1; Int -3; Cha -2
+1 on everyone said so far.  It can still be nice and small.  It was weird for me at first being so used to 4E (and been a LONG time since I did 3.5), but the simplicity worked except for init and a couple times of going "I guess his strength is +1?"
Sign In to post comments