CKY's Solphos: Let There Be Light

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

A large set based on combos, combo enablers, and Victorian science.

"Light reveals that which would be hidden and unmasks that which would be unknown. If you can trust in only one force, trust in light."

---

For as long as anyone can remember, the Revelaris family has produced Solphos's brightest pioneers. It was Dr. Aeolus Revelaris, scholar of all things atmospheric, who invented the clear ozone lamps that dot Kardiapolis's skyline like flickerflies; and it was his great-grandson, Halus Revelaris, who synthesized the indestructible natron compound from which the golem Nucleus was born. No wonder, then, that the youngest heir of the Revelaris family would follow in their footsteps.

Lumina Revelaris is Halus's only sister. Younger than him by a full seven years of age, this quiet woman lived her childhood in the shadow of his genius. Where Lumina had no interest in alchemy or mechanics, Halus's mystic contraptions and compounds would amaze his magisters; when Lumina could make neither head nor tail of the treatises so popular in her day, equations came as naturally to Halus as breathing. The golden-haired girl's only solace was her deep passion for optics, and she would spend hours in the Revelaris family observatory adjusting lenses and watching light bend.

It was not so long ago that Lumina received an invitation to the Furopolis Institute. As a promising young researcher, she would be funded by the bottomless coffers of the Philosophers themselves, in the hope that her work would shed light upon the mysteries of the world. It was a prestigious opportunity that few could refuse. But as Lumina's magnetic carriage sped towards the smoky column of Furopolis, she couldn't shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong.

Shortly after Lumina's tenure at the Institute began, the First Cataclysm happened.

Its precise cause has been lost to time. No one remembers which mana-vat was ruptured or which lever was sabotaged. But all agree that a blistering shockwave ripped through the Institute's west wing, severing galvanic connections and cracking support beams, sending volatile concoctions flying this way and that; what rooms the genetic monstrosities didn't destroy, the insidious beebles surged through. In mere moments, Furopolis's greatest bastion of knowledge was reduced to a smoldering, caustic ruin.

When Lumina came to, it was in a beam of light – one of many, streaming from a set of beautiful cathedral windows onto the altar Lumina now found herself on. The pitch-dark wreckage of her laboratory was gone, replaced by a procession of worried-looking worshippers. Only after days of recovering from her injuries in this strange new world did the thought push through Lumina's delirium – I'm not on Solphos anymore. With this insight, she became aware of boundless horizons and entire universes beyond the tiny one she had once called home.

Every world has its shadows. Pockets of darkness and strife, of death and despair, which law and reason cannot hope to penetrate. As Lumina returns to a life that feels like a distant memory, a newfound understanding of light magic at her fingertips, she has become aware of a great and terrible shadow cast over her home plane. She has no idea of what her mysterious intuition could mean – for her, or for all the denizens of the plane. But she knows that if there's one thing that can pierce through the darkness and expose evil at its roots, it's light.

Lumina Revelaris
Lumina Revelaris

Planeswalker – Lumina (M)

+1: You gain 2 life. Each opponent reveals his or her hand and the top card of his or her library.
-1: Tap up to two target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
-7: Choose a color. You get an emblem with "You and all permanents you control have protection from the chosen color."

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I like name puns.

Also grades.
I like the +1, although it reminds me a bit too much of Tamiyo's. Doesn't need to be changed, but feels strange having two similar plus abilities. The -1 is really weak. I get that it has a "revealing light" flavor, but it doesn't do much. The -7 seems a bit too devastating. Maybe something more like winter orb or marble titan in terms of what it should do. Devastating and throws the game hugely in your favor, but not at Jace levels of winning.
Almost every name in Solphos block is a pun in Latin. Some are just more obvious than others (Philosopher Haereticus...)

And I'll get around to grading sooner or later. I swear. *shifty eyes*
I like the +1, although it reminds me a bit too much of Tamiyo's. Doesn't need to be changed, but feels strange having two similar plus abilities.

I designed her before Tamiyo was spoiled, then couldn't find a replacement for the ability that was both flavorful and useful.
The -1 is really weak. I get that it has a "revealing light" flavor, but it doesn't do much.

It's a nice extra that lets you stabilize against red, scout for counterspells, or get the jump on your opponent in the control mirror.
The -7 seems a bit too devastating. Maybe something more like winter orb or marble titan in terms of what it should do. Devastating and throws the game hugely in your favor, but not at Jace levels of winning.

As far as I can tell from the limited amount of testing I've done, it's usually a win-more ultimate. If you can get Lumina to stick for five turns, you rarely need to Wrath of God.

Embrace imagination.

I like the +1, although it reminds me a bit too much of Tamiyo's. Doesn't need to be changed, but feels strange having two similar plus abilities.

I designed her before Tamiyo was spoiled, then couldn't find a replacement for the ability that was both flavorful and useful.

Right. I don't think it needs to be changed, but its strange to have two planeswalkers with near identical abilities. Just the impression I get from it. Also has the issue of not always being able to be activated.

The -1 is really weak. I get that it has a "revealing light" flavor, but it doesn't do much.

It's a nice extra that lets you stabilize against red, scout for counterspells, or get the jump on your opponent in the control mirror.

I would be more keen on this if it wasn't a -1. If it was a +1 ability, I would like it much more. As a - ability, it seems really depressing to use.

The -7 seems a bit too devastating. Maybe something more like winter orb or marble titan in terms of what it should do. Devastating and throws the game hugely in your favor, but not at Jace levels of winning.

As far as I can tell from the limited amount of testing I've done, it's usually a win-more ultimate. If you can get Lumina to stick for five turns, you rarely need to Wrath of God.

I'll concede to actual experience, but that's still my impression. It seems too certain to lock in the game against opponents not playing white creatures.
Would you prefer it if her abilities were:

+1: You gain 2 life. Each opponent reveals his or her hand and the top card of his or her library.
-1: Tap up to two target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
-7: You get an emblem with "Nonwhite creatures your opponents control can't attack or block."

Embrace imagination.

Would you prefer it if her abilities were:

-1: Tap up to two target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
-7: You get an emblem with "Nonwhite creatures your opponents control can't attack or block."

I would like it much better.
It is done.

Embrace imagination.

I like the +1 ability.

The -1 ability is too good for the cost. Three turn Frost Breath for an extra mana? I would rarely use another ability. I think its justifiable at -2 so you can't spam it.

The ultimate I think has 2 problems:
1) It is too much of a "feel bad" piece. If you manage to get it off, your opponent may be taking turn after turn without much hope of doing anything. (Paticularly control decks) That is supremely frustrating. If an ultimate is going to be a win con, it should be able to get there fairly quickly.
2) Its somewhat narrow. White weenie and creatureless (or ability based creature) decks don't even care.
What would you propose for the ultimate?

Embrace imagination.

What would you propose for the ultimate?

-7: Put your library in any order.

You're welcome. :D 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Well you nailed the first 2 most common "light" abilities. I'd say exiling or destroying (typically enemy color permanents) is next. Maybe, something like a super flicker?

-7: Exile all creatures, then return all creatures that were under your control when they were exiled this way to the battlefield. Creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.

Wording could probably use some work. I think it would fit the flavor though. Giant flash of light... when it resides nothing but good guys are left. You could have it do any permanents instead, but if you did, I'd probably restrict it to a certain number. 7 would be ascetic for a -7 ultimate, but that's mostly because I have no idea what the number should actually be.
The problem is that 'light' in Magic cards such as Tempest of Light or Puncturing Light refers to what the spell looks like rather than literal light. They have obviously magical properties like dispelling enchantments or killing creatures, which the mundane light that shines through your window doesn't possess. Since Lumina can only conjure regular, everyday light, it doesn't make much flavor sense for her to be destroying or exiling anything.

Embrace imagination.

Choose a color. You gain an emblem with "You and all permanents you control have protection from the choosen color"

She uses a magical light filter thingy. Or a prism or something.
Thanks, ChaosLight. Her ultimate's been updated.

Embrace imagination.

:D
Ah, a prism is perfect for the plane's flavor. Good call.

I still think the -1 is too good at that cost. As a reference, compare Garruk, Primal Hunter to Garruk Wildspeaker . The +1 and -1 abilities are identical. The cost difference is one mana that must be colored.
Then compare when Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and this. The +1 and -1 are similar. Lumina's is more restrictive, but will often end up working twice as well. The cost difference is one mana more, but but one mana less color intensive. I think its fair to say a less restrictive mana cost should get you a more restrictive ability. So maybe tap one creature instead of 2?

(Sorry if this was long, I just thought it was a great framework comparison. That, and I may have been blown out by Feeling of Dread in limited a few too many times :P)
The comparison I am using for Lumina is Blinding Beam, which can't be attacked or burned like a Planeswalker can, but works for only two turns.

Embrace imagination.

The problem I see with the second ability is that it suffers from mindsculptor syndrome, she protects herself extremely well, and her + let's you see when to use the second and when you'll topdeck your wrath.
Oh, and grades please.

Pst, also check out that set when you get the chance
Jace has a +2 which actively locks your opponent out of the game, though. And Lumina's +1 doesn't show you the top card of your library.

Embrace imagination.

Jace has a +2 which actively locks your opponent out of the game, though. And Lumina's +1 doesn't show you the top card of your library.

Did people ever use the +2? Arguing power over this is silly until you test anyway.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Did people ever use the +2?

yes
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
If ur aiming for photomancy (the magic of light) something it does is make your opponent skip a phase or two.
Sign In to post comments