Help with Grixis?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck is a work in progress, in a severe way, but here's what I'm looking at at the moment:

Creatures: 18

Thraximundar x1
Crosis, the Purger x1
Pulse Tracker x2
Reckless Waif x2 or Dragonmaster Outcast x2
Yon random U one drop here, x2
Blood Artist x2
Grand Architect x4
Pili-pala x4

Other Spells: 20
Lightning Bolt x4
Train of Thought x4
Counterspell x4
Doom Blade x4 or Assassinate x4, or Go For The Throat x4
Divination x4 or Jace's Ingenuity x4, or Counsel of the Soratami x4

Planeswalkers: 2
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker x1
Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded x1

Lands: 26
Grixis Panorama x4
Crumbling Necropolis x4
Island x6
Mountain x6
Swamp x6

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance~!

EDIT:

I'm thinking of tossing in a few Reverberate, for use on Lightning Bolt and Divination.
Grixis is typically a control scheme, and you sorta have that going...but not a lot. Depends on where you wanna take this
Grixis is typically a control scheme, and you sorta have that going...but not a lot. Depends on where you wanna take this

Honestly? I'm just trying to make it sort of generally vicious. The point is to make life suck for my opponent until I get the
Pili-pala / Grand Architect combo going, to Train of Thought pretty much the whole deck and play everything, all at once.
Oh...well then you simply need more protection (counters, sweepers, spot removal, hand disruption) and prob like a burst of speed+blightsteel colossus to finish. Make blightsteel your only critter and just protect your combo until u are ready to pop it off. Mana base could get tricky tho
Oh...well then you simply need more protection (counters, sweepers, spot removal, hand disruption) and prob like a burst of speed+blightsteel colossus to finish. Make blightsteel your only critter and just protect your combo until u are ready to pop it off. Mana base could get tricky tho

Nah, not going for the infect win, likely as not, and I built this deck so I could USE Thrax and Crosis, not toss them aside.

I might toss Blightsteel in, anyway, though. He is kinda hardcore.

Any other suggestions?
Well neither thrax or crosis are pretty to hard cast, and they don't make good win cons, where as the blightsteel does (vs dark steel colossus which needs to swing twice). While I suppose you could finish with thrax, that sort of invalidates bolas himself.
If you want to pull of pila-pala +train of thought+Grand architect, you need grape shot to finish, or empty the warrens. Basically anything with storm. If u used empty the warrens+blood artist+some critter sac outlet, that could be cute.
The problem I see is your trying to play combo (pila pala) which seeks to end the game right the heck now, with a late game control finisher like thrax, which is not "win right now". You have to pick a direction. Either play the control game and stuff it full of draw and counter/removal, then draw into your finisher and win.

Or cut the big heavy dudes, still play the draw/counter/removal game, and use the extra slots for your combo. You can't do both. Not effectively at least.
I dont specifically knwo what this deck is suppose to do but here are my suggestions.(it looks alot like jund)

some land fetches or fetchlands will definantly help if you can afford them....and maybe an amulet of vigor to top your permanents from coming into play tapped.

Mana leak and spell pierce may be better counters here compared to counterspell.

the waif seems like a bad idea i would suggest delver of secrets and goblin guide for turn 1 creatures

a simple through the breach might find use here...

one problem...where is duress or thoughtseize or cruel ultimatum it matches the color scheme
I dont specifically knwo what this deck is suppose to do but here are my suggestions.(it looks alot like jund)

some land fetches or fetchlands will definantly help if you can afford them....and maybe an amulet of vigor to top your permanents from coming into play tapped.

Mana leak and spell pierce may be better counters here compared to counterspell.

the waif seems like a bad idea i would suggest delver of secrets and goblin guide for turn 1 creatures

a simple through the breach might find use here...

one problem...where is duress or thoughtseize or cruel ultimatum it matches the color scheme

Yeah, I've rebuilt this deck substantially since I posted this first...I added one Cruel Ultimatum and a few other things, too. As far as the red 1-drops go, what do you think of Dragonmaster Outcast?

Regarding Through the Breach: why? At 5 mana, by the time I can play it, I should have my infinite mana combo going, and just play everything.

I also don't understand why Mana Leak or Spell Pierce would be better than Counterspell. Counterspell is simple, they just can't do it. The other two offer an out.