Just getting back into Magic, need opinions on my deck.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys i have recently just gotten back into playing magic and i have made a deck but i think it needs work, please give your critisism and help with opinions on cards you think i need or dont need in there.
My deck currently is a red/green multikicker deck consisting of 65 cards. the deck is as follows:

Land

18x forest
10x Mountain

Creatures

1x Leatherback Beloth
1x Dungrove Elder 
1x Wolfbriar Elemental
1x Terastodon
1x Giant spider
1x Greenweaver Druid
2x Borderland Ranger
2x Gnarlid Pack
3x Llanowar Elves
2x Grappler Spider
1x Skitter of lizards
1x Goblin Roughrider
1x Deathforge shaman
2x Crimson Mage

Spells

1x Fireball
1x Fling
1x Comet Storm
1x Act of treason
1x Canopy Cover
2x Overrun
2x Vastwood Zendikon
2x Giant Growth 
1x Titanic Growth
2x Lightning Bolt
1x Rumbling Aftershocks
2x Rampant Growth

The reason i have so much mana in this deck is purely to increase the effects of my multikickers, the Llanowar Elves and the Greenweaver Druid are just there to pump out creatures without touching my mana so it can be used for multikickers.
Rumbling Aftershocks is pretty much what makes my deck work. Damage for every time i kick really works well with how much mana i have. 
I was thinking of putting another one in aswell.

Please give your opinions, i really need some help.
Well, the first problem I see is a big one:

More than half your deck is not Standard legal. Anything from the Zendikar block (the one with the funky diamond symbols, plus the weird + sign) isn't in type.

For clarity, the following is no longer legal:

Leatherback Baloth
Wolfbriar Elemental
Greenweaver Druid
Gnarlid Pack
Grappler Spider
Skitter of lizards
Goblin Roughrider
Deathforge shaman

Comet Storm
Canopy Cover
Vastwood Zendikon
Lightning Bolt
Rumbling Aftershocks

Besides that, too many one-ofs. It seems like it'd be inconsistent, and consistency is a big deal.

What exactly is the theme or style of this deck? Raw damage, or what?
what do you mean not legal? i bought all these cards in decks from a store last week. then i mixed them and made a deck.
i was going for raw damage yes. 
i was only going to be playing against friends anyway so it wouldnt really matter if it wasnt legal right?
do you have any ideas on cards that i could put in?

what do you mean not legal? i bought all these cards in decks from a store last week. then i mixed them and made a deck.
i was going for raw damage yes. 
i was only going to be playing against friends anyway so it wouldnt really matter if it wasnt legal right?
do you have any ideas on cards that i could put in?

Allow me a bit of clarity here. When I say not Standard legal, I mean not allowed for Standard format tournaments. If all you're doing is casual play, you might have better luck on the Casual forum.

As far as stuff you could switch, well...if tourney legality isn't an issue, I'd say simply fix your mana curve. The mana curve in my Vampire deck, for example, consists of:

4 1-mana creatures
8 2-mana creatures
8 3-mana creatures, and
3 4-mana creatures.

The problem is, most of the critters you have are 3 to, well, 8 mana. so I'd imagine it takes a while to get to some of them, yes?

Swapping a few things out for a better, smoother mana curve will help, immensely. I know, believe me.

I'd say...

4 Llanowar Elves
Keep your 3 Skitter of Lizards, since it's a dual color deck. That takes care of one-drops.

2-mana:
I'd say go with Gnarlid Pack x4 and 4 Crimson Mage. The MAge's haste ability might be helpful.

3-mana:
4Borderland Ranger and maybe even 4Civic Wayfinder. The Greenweaver Druid is Ok, but she's no game changer. The other guys give you lands and keep a blocker open.
For reachy stuff, I'd say Blightwidow. Same mana cost as Giant Spider, same P/T, plus infect? He rocks.

4+mana:
Deathforge Shaman is a good one, and so is Terastodon. Dungrove Elder might be worth adding, too, since you're so Forest heavy. This is clearly a creature heavy deck, but hopefully that'll help you out some.
Thank you. so are you telling me to remove the other creatures, and just have the ones you recomended, so that they come up more frequently? 
instead of having cards that i only have 1 of?

so i take out everything you didnt say?

Thank you. so are you telling me to remove the other creatures, and just have the ones you recomended, so that they come up more frequently? 
instead of having cards that i only have 1 of?

so i take out everything you didnt say?

That would be the suggestion. And, since you'd be dropping a lot of your Mulitkicker creatures, you could tone down your manabase a bit, too. Maybe a bit more like 12 of each, or 10 Mountain and 14 Forest?

I hope that helped~!

Also, note that when I was talking about your 3-mana creatures, I'd personally say pick two of them, and have a whole set of 4 of those two. I just listed some of my ideas for the kinds you could pick. I myself, would probably go for the Borderlands Ranger and the Civic Wayfinder. They'll help you get out mana more reliably.

And finally, for the 4+ mana creatures, the ones I listed? One of each would be best, I think.
thanks mate
thanks mate

Edited my previous post, have a look. And no worries~!
ok sweet