A Handful of Shadowfell Questions

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a campaign I'm going to be running coming up, and I strongly believe it may have some doings with the Shadowfell. I'm not sure if I'm simply looking over it somewhere, but... Does the Shadowfell actually have a sun/moon? I know it's a paralell to the material plane, hence it's a sphere. Like the Feywild. And I know the feywild has a day/night cycle. So does it? And if it does, I assume it's daytime cycle sucks hard in comparison to the natural plane right? lol

Second question, along the same lines, how would were-creatures work in the Shadowfell? If it has a day/night cycle it's no problem, but if they don't, how would were-creatures thematically work?

Third question, I know the Domains of Dread are located within the Shadowfell, and are "Isolated", and people can walk in just fine, and not out? I heard Ravenloft has something to do with all this, but not sure what.

Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!
Just saw a mentioning of "Nightfall" in a Shadowfell specific adventure. So, there is a cycle it seems. But again, I'm assuming the Day cycle is rather gloomy and foggy always overcast, and the night is always horribly dark? 
In our game we have always assumed that during the daytime, the place gets a full passage of "the moon" starting as a sliver at dawm, moving through to a full moon at noon, back to a sliver at dusk, and absent throughout the night.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
its mostly just a vast expanse of pitch black wasteland, but when there is light in the shadowfell it is almost always dimmed and muted. you will see a twisted reflection of the world in some places but often it is dark enough to lose all resemblance. thats what i go with
I think that overall things are left a bit open in the official material. The Shadowfell has living people, towns, cities, etc, though they tend to be a bit spiritually warped in some way or other. Presumably that means it has a Sun and a Moon. As for any of the other general characteristics of that world, it is up to the DM really. The normal world isn't even described specifically as being round, etc. The Shadowfell could parallel the normal world, or it could be pretty different. There are described as being 'lightless' areas of deathland, etc. but there's no real explanation of how that happens.

Personally I treat the parallel worlds as sort of fantastical and slightly unreal places. Time, geography, and other basic physical characteristics aren't precisely defined. They have more of a metaphysical kind of existence as conceptual spaces than being strictly physical structured worlds with exact rules like the normal world. The Sun may exist and even be relatively normal in some areas, or it might be barely present or not manifest at all in others. Some areas mirror the normal world in strange ways. Others are entirely unique and different. In the case of the Shadowfell each area manifests some element of shadow. One area might seem like a slightly somber but mundane area of the real world with fairly normal seeming inhabitants. Scratch beneath the surface though and you may find some very strange and even nightmarish things. Another area could manifest as a bleak dark dead wilderness that hasn't experienced light or warmth in 10,000 years where strange crumbling shadowy ruins and elusive shadowy beings enigmatically appear and disappear. One might expect the Sun to eventually rise in such an area, but that would be a rule only in the real world. Likewise in the Feywild one might follow a path through a forest to get to another place, but attempting to return by the same route might lead to some totally different destination. The rules normal people expect to apply simply aren't relevant to the Feywild, it is a land of symbols, myths and archetypes made manifest, and filled with hopes, dreams, and nightmares.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I agree to the "Time, geography, and other basic physical counterparts aren't defined". But after an hour of reading into my Shadowfell book, it mentions a group of worshippers of Pelor in the city. It says that the sun is but a sickly star in the sky, and they take that the belive that pelor can still influence the realm, given enough worship there. So, canon-wise, yes there's a sun, it's very distant and sucks, and an adventure mentions "Dim illumination due to moonlight". 
The Manual of the Planes described day as day, but with a sort of weak illumination, often due to cloud cover. I always pictured day in the Shadowfell like a really dingy gray looking overcast day with rain chances. Even if and when the sun tries to peak its head out, it's not much for warmth as it would be on the natural realm.
Right, same here. I belive there would be pretty much dim illuminnation during the day due to their crappy sun, filtered by overcast, fog, and or rain. Basically, the only bright illumination that I see in the shadowfell is that which is made. Also, it seems that in multiple pieces of artwork of the Shadowfell, it has 3 moons? Does anyone have any canon info on them? Do they have names? Or have I just not gotten that far in the Shadowfell book yet? lol
Moving to Netir Vale per VCL request.