Horror-themed build for Innistrad-like campaign world

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Our DM is considering an Innistrad-like world for our next campaign.

I've been wanting to do a horror/beast type character since seeing the Were-themes.

Basically what I want to try to do is roll Revenant(zombie), shifter/were-theme (werewolf), and MC Vampire (...vampire), all into one character.

This leaves the class and kind of the race (since revenants have a past life) completely open.

I saw CO talk about the were themes working well on Druids, but is that the best/only class? I want the character to basically be a beast of a melee striker. Preferably with claws. I was thinking a barb or berserker would be fitting for the character theme.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
My thought is that your character can be as horrific as you describe it, and you shouldn't feel the need to limit or gimp yourself in your mechanical build to achieve that.

You can be a dwarf fighter that likes to eat vanquished enemies tongues, raw.

However, given that, if I were you I would not touch MC Vampire, the rest still leave you open to dozens of different builds. You could make any decent melee striker work here.

For one, you can easily use the mechanical aspect of say " iron wolf warrior" into a charging horror. All three of the were-animal themes seem implement specific and as a result might not work for your melee beast.

Revenant fits the hexblade well, but with Dex/Con/Cha to choose from, you have plenty of choices there. Look for the mechanical aspects of a character, and the make up your own fluff. Believe me, you will have more fun that way, instead of trying to cram your idea/concept into the fluff provided by WotC.
My thought is that your character can be as horrific as you describe it, and you shouldn't feel the need to limit or gimp yourself in your mechanical build to achieve that.

You can be a dwarf fighter that likes to eat vanquished enemies tongues, raw.

However, given that, if I were you I would not touch MC Vampire, the rest still leave you open to dozens of different builds. You could make any decent melee striker work here.

For one, you can easily use the mechanical aspect of say " iron wolf warrior" into a charging horror. All three of the were-animal themes seem implement specific and as a result might not work for your melee beast.

Revenant fits the hexblade well, but with Dex/Con/Cha to choose from, you have plenty of choices there. Look for the mechanical aspects of a character, and the make up your own fluff. Believe me, you will have more fun that way, instead of trying to cram your idea/concept into the fluff provided by WotC.

I do have to note, that the f10 of the Were-features removes this restriction, and depending on where you start level-wise, could be a good area to begin from.

10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Choose your race in past life as Vryloka and you have vampire/zombie sorted without having to take Vampire.

What level are you starting out at? At late Heroic a Dwarf Battlemind MC Vampire really starts to pick up steam, and ends up being pretty hard to take down. It would really benefit from a werewolf theme, for the level 10 feature.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Starting at Level 6, or around there
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
First three feats could be Vampirism, Durable, and Psionic Vampire. Dwarf as race, or Revenant Dwarf (you want Dwarf to pick up Dwarven Durability at 11th). 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

A Brawler Fighter with Vampiric Heritage saves you the trouble from MCing into Vampire. The Werewolf theme also has some synergy with Fighters during Heroic, and it's not hard for a Fighter to do a lot of damage in melee.
Vampiric Heritage > Vampirism, since being an utter drain on party resources since you have a paltry number of surges is dumb.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I keep going back to first reply. Play whatever works best for you mechanically, and write your own descriptions of your powers. If you're a halfway decent roleplayer, should be trying that anyway.
I keep going back to first reply. Play whatever works best for you mechanically, and write your own descriptions of your powers. If you're a halfway decent roleplayer, should be trying that anyway.

blasphemy! 
FWIW, I'm playing a vampirish, werewolfish swordsman in a home game currently, and its working out fantasticly. I made him a berserker barbarian (a martial and primal class), MCd into Vampire, and took a theme to give him werewolfishness (pact outcast, but this was before the new were-themes). He's 6th level, so he has a few feats and powers to work with, but I think he turned out well.

Despite what people say about the vampire MC, this character is one of the most durable PCs. He took the martial vampire and primal vampire feats so he has 4 surges instead of 2, and 3 times per encounter he is able to gain another. Assuming he ends a fight up even one surge, he basically heals to full. The result is that he has always been ready to go after a short rest, and has never needed to drain any group resources. Between his regeneration and dailies (that grant regen or let him spend surges), the healer in the party has never had to heal him, so if anything he is freeing up resources for everyone else.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2-cents that multiclass vampire is perfectly viable. Its full-blown vampires that are terrible.  
Sign In to post comments