How to "scare the fear" away from my PCs?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok guys so I'm running my first Super Adventure and I've been planing this for at least 3 months, so if this one fails, I'll feel like a total moron...

The thing is that playing 3.5, my PCs faced death at level 3 for bad desitions, VERY stupid ones, so they fear exploring the world I planned and they practically run away from everything. I used the adventure of Kobold Keep on the DMs guide and when they found out about the dragon, they went out of the dungeon... They are lvl 4 now and don't plan on going back, not even if the dragon comes out and destroys the whole town...

So yeah, I'm playing with 3 guys that are ever so scared to go out, explore, do side quests, get new items or participate in events... and yeah, making Raise Dead Rituals much more cheaper would kill the thrill of exploring. 
Well, if the PCs aren't doing anything, you don't really have much of a game ... you could take this as an implicit statement that their PCs have 'retired', and take it from the top.

Probably not a very satisfying solution.

Anyway, the real solution, as it always is, is to talk to them about the situation in a calm, mature manner.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Well, if the PCs aren't doing anything, you don't really have much of a game ... you could take this as an implicit statement that their PCs have 'retired', and take it from the top.

Probably not a very satisfying solution.

Anyway, the real solution, as it always is, is to talk to them about the situation in a calm, mature manner.

Well they are not really THAT mature... one of them is obsessed with chaos, killing and destuction, the other one is a girl who won't play if there's not anything pointing at her culture (asian) every 3 steps and the last one is a scaredy cat... and sadly, living in Mexico, a place without Wizards Stores (at least not outside the capital), very little understanding of english and a poor average culture level, finding another group is nearly impossible :/
No D&D is better than bad D&D.  If you're not having any fun, and communication doesn't work, just call it off.
I'd probably run a Kill Bill style adventure with all sorts of over-the-top violence, Eastern themes/stories, half in Spanish, half in English. Camp and blood and plenty of it. I like a challenge and it would be fun as hell to try.

It sounds like you're herding cats though. So if you enjoy their company, maybe play something else like a board game.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I would probably just talk with them and ask them to coopwarpirate a little bit. If these guys are knew to it then guide them a little bit, let them know when they should go all in or flee. They probably correctly identified that the Dragon is too much to handle, but perhaps give them hints that it is easily avoidable or when to run. Since they have died previously perhaps they don't have the DnD sense or the desire to be epic quite yet, so they may need a guiding mentor and a few sessions as a tutorial to get them into the flow of your game, because they mightn't understand what you expect from them as players.

Additionally, you could try changing the style to have matchlock mexicans and more asiany flavoured stuff like a samurai movie set in mexico regions. Though thats something I don't have much experience with.   
coopwarpirate 

... what?
... what?

That's when a group of bloodthirsty privateers violently takes over your government.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Lol, instead of writing what I was thinking, I typed down a possible idea for a coop pirate raiding game. XD
My advice is to always just have the frank conversation. Don't try for some grand approach that will inspire them to become heroes because it'll be an insane amount of work. Just talk to your friends, tell them you're not having fun and why, talk about the point of D&D, and then ask them to help you help everyone have fun.
Well guys, the thing is that it's the fifth time I've talked to them... W used to play Anima: Beyond Fantasy before we started with 3.5 Edition of D&D, and the heavily religious background of Anima made my chaos-loving PC a pseudo-satanist whose only onjective was to insult my beliefs trough his character and to say nasty stuff to the other 2 PCs... So when we changed game system, he changed as well.

We use 4E because at least I feel it's "roleplaying for dummies" (no need to start an edition war here, but it's just so easy to understand and fast-paced for impatient players like mine).

I'm actually using the Anima geography and culture with D&D races, religions and some Faerun thingies to keep my game out of a chaos... AND to give my female player the part of her root she needs -.-; 

The problem is that they expect this to be like an anime show where they'll fall in love with "kawaii" NPCs, have kids and stuff, so the death of their characters is like... screwing their fantasy lives...

Really, the PCs that give me the most trouble are the girl and the chaos-lover... the girl is looking to realize her boyfriend fantasies while the chaos lover doesn't knows anything about cooperation and wants to act and look cool all the time, asking me if he can rip appart X or Y monster or NPC. I have tried to tie exploration to their personal desires... like, I told my girl her dream NPC is somewhere out of the begining zone, and I told my chaos-lover that there are powerful Esper Summoning Rituals (a la FFXII) hidden in many caves and temples... tough they are kinda more motivated to explore, they still have that Anime story focus and want to hurry with the plot ASAP

Well guys, the thing is that it's the fifth time I've talked to them...

You gave it a more-than-fair effort.  They just don't want to play D&D, so there's no reason for you to attempt to run it for them.  Just hang it up.
Run an adventure in which PC death is completely off the table, and it's just a matter of success or failure. If they like this, run another, but up the stakes. Eventually, you can try a scenario in which they can't win unless they take a serious chance that one or all of them might die.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

It sounds like their expectations are different then yours then. DnD isn't an MMO or online dating service, any love interests or personal desires must remain relivent enough. They also have to know that it's diffcult to die, it's also part of the package of the univerce and even then, it can be bartered out through celrics.   

One idea might be to encourage them to write out an background and possible future deveopoments that they would want to happen, and the way it happens and send it to you, if nothing else it might give you some decent plot hooks and make them do some of the footwork for you. As it is often difficult to go into backgrounds in session (because any focus on one character for a prolonged period, unless relivent to the parties interest, is boring) and perhaps pinpoint areas of interest for you that you can help collilate..    

Otherwise, It's meant to be an gigantic adventure, a break from the norm all can enjoy. They will be put in dangerous situations and that they must work together and tactically to achieve whatever goals, and even occationally to work away from their own personal goals for the other party time and time again. Who knows, a break from hunting their interests can ironically offer hints of their own. If they can't accept that, DnD isn't for them.
The problem is that they expect this to be like an anime show where they'll fall in love with "kawaii" NPCs, have kids and stuff, so the death of their characters is like... screwing their fantasy lives...

Really, the PCs that give me the most trouble are the girl and the chaos-lover... the girl is looking to realize her boyfriend fantasies while the chaos lover doesn't knows anything about cooperation and wants to act and look cool all the time, asking me if he can rip appart X or Y monster or NPC. I have tried to tie exploration to their personal desires... like, I told my girl her dream NPC is somewhere out of the begining zone, and I told my chaos-lover that there are powerful Esper Summoning Rituals (a la FFXII) hidden in many caves and temples... tough they are kinda more motivated to explore, they still have that Anime story focus and want to hurry with the plot ASAP

well, sounds like they told you what they want.  So run with that??

The world outside the starting zone has a very asian style to it.  Moreso than the starting are if possible.
The girl has a clear vision of where her dream NPC is.  It's "over there---->"  Make it somewhere identifiable on a map.
The just trouble lies in getting there.  Plenty of monsters & odd encounters will lie along the path.
So the chaos guy will have plenty to rip apart - while looking cool.
And why are they dragging the other PC along? 
Sign In to post comments