Poison Counters Vs. Divine Deflection

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have heard two different answers from tournament judges and mixed answers from friends as well so please respond with Official Response (Not Opinion).
 Question - Does "Divine Deflection" deflect poison counters  back at a creature or player?  

***the official rules say it doesnt deflect deathtouch or lifelink, but it does not specify poison counters***  

Scenario - 1. Opponent attacks with Inkmoth Nexus. It has been pumped up(UEOT) to a 3/3 flying infect while still a land.
                 2. with only 2 mana available, You "devine deflect" 1 poison damage/counter back onto "inkmoth nexus."

IF IT DOES DEFLECT POISON COUNTERS - Does inkmoth nexus stay with a -1/-1 poison counter because it was placed while it was a creature and land at the same time???? Therefore next time inkmoth nexus transforms it will auto-die.

"
Like i said, i have read the official rules on "Divine Deflection" and "Inkmoth Nexus" and "Poison Counters"..... none of those give a clear answer. I have heard to different answers from tournament refs as well......PLEASE HELP!!!    

Divine Deflection does two things.

It prevents damage, and then deals damage. it doesn't "deflect" the damage, despite what the name of the card is. Deathtouch and lifelink are irrelevant, as is Infect. Deflection itself is the source of the damage, and it does not have any abilities such as Infect, Lifelink, etc. - it will deal normal damage to whatever it targets. 

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

There are two parts to Deflection. The first part prevents damage. The second part deals damage.

Since Deflection is dealing the damage, what abilities the source had is irrelevant.
… and then, the squirrels came.
There are two parts to Deflection. The first part prevents damage. The second part deals damage.

Since Deflection is dealing the damage, what abilities the source had is irrelevant.

Thanks for the quick response. Its not the answer i would like..but i see what you are saying. on second part of this, do poison counters stay on inkmoth nexus since it is a creature and land at same time???

Thanks for the quick response. Its not the answer i would like..but i see what you are saying. on second part of this, do poison counters stay on inkmoth nexus since it is a creature and land at same time???

Poison counters can only be on players.  If you put any other type of counter on the Nexus, such as a -1/-1 counter, it will stay there.

So should the text on Divine Deflection really say "Prevent the next "X" damage that would be dealt to you and or permanents you control this turn. If damage is prevented this way, Divine Deflection deal "X" damage to target creature or player." 

instead the card currently says -  Divine Deflection deals "That" much damage to....

Where "That" refers to a 1 infect damage.... in this scenario.

Do you understand what i mean???

"that much" is simply a number, it doesn't carry infect, wither, deathtouch and whathaveyou with it.
usually "that much" is the same as X, but not always
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thats what i mean.....There is poor wording in this text and it has lead to confusion even with FNM runners.
it's worded that way in case only partial damage can be prevented
your way would work as well, but would make the card stronger

it might be confusing for new players, but if you read the card carefully and know the rules it is quite clear.
shoot....well at least i still got my Righteous Blows to handle the Nexus.......
it's worded that way in case only partial damage can be prevented
your way would work as well, but would make the card stronger

it might be confusing for new players, but if you read the card carefully and know the rules it is quite clear.

and you say it may be confusing to new players but if you read the original article i have called multiple FNM runners and spoken to their refs and got mixed answers from them...so unless magic lets newbies run their tournaments....
not every judge/TO gets the rules right ;)
they are human after all and with so many stores it's difficult to have a great judge in each and every one.
So lets say i used Shining Shoal instead. I know its not T2 standard legal, but would that allow me to put -1/-1 counter on the nexus????

So should the text on Divine Deflection really say "Prevent the next "X" damage that would be dealt to you and or permanents you control this turn. If damage is prevented this way, Divine Deflection deal "X" damage to target creature or player." 

instead the card currently says -  Divine Deflection deals "That" much damage to....

Do you understand what i mean???

If it said that, the card would basically be a fireball on crack. "Oh you're swinging for one? I'ma prevent the next twelve damage and deal twelve to your face." The current wording ensures only the damage that's prevented is dealt, hence the "deflection" flavor.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
So lets say i used Shining Shoal instead. I know its not T2 standard legal, but would that allow me to put -1/-1 counter on the nexus????

Shining Shoal

yes, that doesn't change the source of the damage
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE INPUT ON MY QUESTION - I STILL HATE YOUR ANSWER BUT RESPECT YOUR KNOWLEDGE>>>>MAY THE MANA BE WITH YOU....Laughing
shoot....well at least i still got my Righteous Blows to handle the Nexus.......

What do you mean by this?

You do realise that Devine Deflection can not only stop the damage done by an Inkmoth Nexus (as long as you pay enough for it), but can also kill the Inkmoth too, right? 

It DD doesnt have Infect, so wont deal damage in the form of Poison Counters to players or in the form of -1/-1 counters to creatures - it just deals damage normally.

~ Tim     
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
he probably meant when he only has mana for X less than the power of the inkmoth nexus
Thats what i mean.....There is poor wording in this text and it has lead to confusion even with FNM runners.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you, but I don't see why it is confusing to these people, assuming English is their first language. "That much" does not mean the same thing as "that"; it only implies that the amount is the same, not any other characteristic. One understands the meaning of a sentence by looking at the whole sentence, not by picking apart individual words out of context.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
If you pay 6 for X, and the only damage dealt to you is 3, then 3 will be prevented and 3 will be dealt, not 3 will be prevented and 6 will be dealt. I gather that the OP was wondering if damage dealt with the added note of Infect would still be Infect after being prevented and having Divine Deflection deal damage (it would not, as DD does not have Infect, as noted already).

In any case, you decide X, and that is the maximum Divine Deflection will prevent and can in return deal, though the damage originally dealt may not be equal to X. If you cast the spell before any attacks are declared or spells cast, the opponent would just not do anything and you waste a card and X mana. The -1/-1 counters are added as damage by the ability Infect, which is only on the damage dealt by the Inkmoth Nexus, not Divine Deflection.

Also, the information on Gatherer tells you exactly how this card works when dealing with added damage effects.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.

There is no such thing as "infect damage." Your thinking that there is is part of the problem. There is only "damage from a source with infect." (The difference is that one suggests there is something special about the damage itself, whereas the other points to the source of the damage.

Damage dealing is a three-step process.

1. Damage is dealt.

2. Damage is transformed into its results.

3. The results are applied.

In the first step, you apply things that prevent, redirect or otherwise replace the damage event with a modified event. Divine Deflection applies here.

Transforming into results requres you look at (a) what is being damaged and (b) any abilities of the source of damage. This is where you apply Infect, Wither or Lifelink, if the source of damage has any of those abilities. Some examples.

Lightning Bolt deals three damage to the target. If that target is a player, it results in the player losing three life. If the target is a creature, three damage is marked on the creature.If something gives the Bolt Wither then damage to a creature will result in three -1/-1 counters being placed on that creature; if the Bolt was aimed at a player, then it would still result in the player losing three life.

The third step is simply changing the gamestate in the indicated way.

The point of this is to show that Divine Deflection, like all other effects that prevent, redirect or otherwise replace damage, does not know nor care what the results of damage will be, because they have their effect before damage is transformed into results.

Since Divine Deflection prevents damage and then deals an amount equal to the amount prevented, any damage dealt to a player this way will only result in placing poison counters if Divine Deflection somehow gains Infect. Similarly, damage dealt to a creature will only result in -1/-1 counters being placed if Divine Deflection somehow gains Infect or Wither.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Sorry to post on old feeds, does divine deflection on choose one target to deal damage to at the end of it resolving?

For instance I swing 5 5/5's and my opponent blocks with 5 1/1's and play divine deflection for 1wX=5 can he deal 5 damage to each of my 5/5's?or Would it jus be 25 damage to one target?
Sorry to post on old feeds, does divine deflection on choose one target to deal damage to at the end of it resolving?

You choose the target when you cast the Devine Deflection, not when it resolves.

For instance I swing 5 5/5's and my opponent blocks with 5 1/1's and play divine deflection for 1wX=5 can he deal 5 damage to each of my 5/5's?or Would it jus be 25 damage to one target?

5 of the damage of your choice would be redirected to the target.

Please start a new thread for questions.