Creating the Deck of Many Things

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So its now obvious Wizards of the Coast isn't going to publish the Gamma World version of the Deck of Many Things.

Let's make our own.

How would this magical artifact work in a sci-fi setting? What would the effects be? Should we make them serious, or have little impact on the game as a whole?

Post your ideas here.    
So its now obvious Wizards of the Coast isn't going to publish the Gamma World version of the Deck of Many Things.

Let's make our own.

How would this magical artifact work in a sci-fi setting? What would the effects be? Should we make them serious, or have little impact on the game as a whole?

Post your ideas here.    

Hmm. I think what could work well for gamma world is a device that exists in all realities and has the ability to change things or pull things in from other realities. It could look like a remote control, with an antenna sticking out and a single red button on the front.

When activated it could change the environment from desert wasteland to freezing tundra, create evil doppelgangers, give a player two extra alpha mutations but they must be overcharged.

Maybe limit it's use for once a day.

I'm not to familiar with what the real deck of many things actually does, but I'm sure you can take some cues from that.
Well, the Deck of Many Things is a card deck that you draw from randomly. Mostly it screws you over in horrific ways, but there are enough awesome things in it that players will draw from it again and again.
So yeah, you have a table full of players drawing cards that cause Death to appear and try to kill them, or banish their soul to another dimension, in the hopes that one of their stats will go up a point or they could get a free level.

The idea of a device that looks like an iphone that is old and broken and does horribly random things to its user might work though.

Brian