What cards do you want in the decks of DoTP ?

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
Because we learn more and more about the decks, i think anybody would see some of his favorite cards too !
Here my wishlist:

- Pack Instinct (Garruk)

Skinshifter - Cool and cheap card with tons of possibilities.
Predator Ooze -  Its a attack deck, and this card fit well into it. It's also good for early defense.
Mycoloth - Devour make it strong and he can produce a lot of Saproling Tokens !
Mitotic Slime - Very cool card, almost unstoppable and very annoying for the opponent.
Moldgraf Monstrosity - Fit well in this deck and can you bring 2 creatures back !

- Born of Flame (Chandra)

Rakka Mar - One or maybe the best card in the old Trinity deck, this card fit well into the deck.
Obsidian Fireheart - Nice DoT and good body. Confirmed !
Urabrask the Hidden - Speed you up and slow the opponent down, good finisher.
Charmbreaker Devils -  Very good card that bring back your fire-spells !
Inferno Titan - The Titans are awesome, this one is no exception. Confirmed !

- Celestial Light (Ajani)

Suture Priest - Lifegain for you and lifelose for the opponent.
Thraben Doomsayer - Token generator to trigger lifeability cards.
Wall of Reverence - Nice wall what give you life and good defense.
Sun Titan - Again an awesome titan what bring you your Lifegain creatures back !
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite - Game Finisher, with the amout of life you should easy get to 7+ mana to play her.

- (Jace)

Hedron Crab -  Cheap and very good mill.
Mesmeric Orb - Awesome mill, can end games quickly.
Sanity Grinding - Cheap and can mill alot.
Propaganda - Very good "defense" and it's cheap too.
Undead Alchemist - Tokengenerator and mill at once !
And a lot of mindcontrol, defense, cancels and repulse cards !

- (Liliana)

Necroskitter - Early defense, wither and and two awesome passive make me want it.
Phyrexian Obliterator - The "OMG !" card.
Vengeful Pharao - Nice card for defense and offense and is good in many situations.
Dread Slaver - I love "under your control" abilities and this card is for this cheap and good too.
Grave Titan - My favorite Titan, tokengenerator and very strong.
Visara the Dreadful - We will have a Gorgon in the deck, why not a better one too ?

- Crosswinds (Talrand)

Talrand, Sky Summoner - Name giver of the deck and nice tokengenerator.
Roil Elemental - Wow, a mass-mind control !
Sphinx of Magosi - The finisher in the Jace DoTP 2009 deck, nice carddraw and power.
Consecrated Sphinx - Imba carddraw
Frost Titan - The last Titan. Expensive to kill and he tap opponent cards.

- (Krenko)

Goblin Assault - Token generator with some risk to play.
Goblin Sharpshooter - Nice artwork and awesome ability.
Tuktuk the Explorer - Goblin fattie ;)
Goblin Bangchuckers - Risky card what can be strong.
Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician -  Make strong kamikaze goblins, tokengenerator.
Voracious Dragon - It benefit from goblins, is a removal and game finisher.

- (Nefarox)

Souls of the Faultless - Very nice wall, opponents don't like to run against it.
Deathbringer Liege - Buff your creature and have two awesome abilities.
Dread - One of my favorite cards from DoTP 2009 and it works good with the exalted mechanic.
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Very good creature with nice selfbuff and removal.

Nice choice, I like almost all cards so I won't add them to my list.

Pack Instinct:

This deck already has tons of awesome cards but maybe it needs a few more high quality early game creatures like

[C]Young Wolf[/C]
[C]Strangleroot Geist[/C]
[C]Wolfir Avenger[/C]

and additional finishers like

[C]Craterhoof Behemoth[/C] (love this guy!)
[C]Wolfbriar Elemental[/C]
[C]Terastodon[/C]
[C]Wolfir Silverheart[/C]
[C]Soul of the Harvest[/C]

Born of Flame:

[C]Archwing Dragon[/C]
[C]Bonfire of the Damned[/C]
[C]Lightning Bolt[/C]
[C]Balefire Dragon[/C]
[C]Faithless Looting[/C]
[C]Past in Flames[/C]

Celestial Light:

[C]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/C]
[C]Seraph of Dawn[/C]
[C]Emancipation Angel[/C] (good with ETB creatures)
[C]Wrath of God[/C]
[C]Terminus[/C]

I don't know enough about the other decks so I'll probably update my list soon.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I'm just going to throw out colors instead of individual decks and I'll try and avoid repeats because I too, like a number of the cards already listed.

White:
Ranger of Eos - Card advantage in white, hooray!
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - I love cards with these taxing effects. A white weenie deck would like her I think.
Restoration Angel - Great card.
Archon of Justice - Solid card with more exiling - take that Vorapede!

Blue:
Sphinx of Uthuun - Loved this dude when I first saw him. If ability is awkward to implement in this game, I'd like the Sphinx below this one.
Sphinx of Lost Truths - A reprint, but a card I really like. He seems so fair, but that's what I like about him I think. Kicker makes him a little more flexible.
Sphinx of Jwar Isle - What I feel like a classic blue finisher is. Solid size and difficult to deal with. In Jace's mill deck, seeing the top of the library would be really cool if there was a single mill ability in the deck so you could use it on yourself if the top card isn't something you want to draw next turn.
Dungeon Geists - Another solid beater in blue that isn't over the top. Would be great anywhere I think.

Black:
Rune-Scarred Demon - Fair finisher that puts a little more control into your hands.
Scythe Specter - I'd like this card for multiplayer games.
Puppeteer Clique - Just a cool card I like, no sure where it would fit.
Harvester of Souls - I like this guy as a black finisher. Small compared to titans, but whatevs!

Red:
Brimstone Volley - Put in the goblin deck and control morbid with Siege-Gang Commander.
Hellion Eruption - This card just amuses me.
Hound of Griselbrand - Pretty scary four drop in red.
Tyrant of Discord - Another crazy card that would be multiplayer focused. I'd probably play this in Planechase.
Warren Instigator - Let goblins swarm the battlefield!

Green:
Eternal Witness - I don't care where, just please, please, please be somewhere.
Greater Good - This could be really insane in Garruk's deck. A nice way to get value out of those fatties when they are about to die.
Plow Under - I always want it, we never get it. Sad.

Colorless:
Molten-Tail Masticore - Maybe not entirely flavorful in the goblin deck, but it could be work beautifully at a mechanical level there. Nice late game reach.

Okay, I think I'll end it there as I could make this list way too long if I kept going.
Pack Instinct
I would like to see some token love in this deck. We could make it green fatties or green tokens. So, Beacon of Creation, Mycoloth and Overrun. Also, to go alongside those tons of lands, Baloth Woodcrasher, Oracle of Mul Daya and our old friend Dungrove Elder.

Celestial Light
What I really want here are win-conditions. I already said that in another thread, but Felidar Sovereign, Test of Endurance and Celestial Convergence (especially this one) are cool. To keep the life gain theme, Beacon of Immortality. Serra Avatar would be crazy powerful and very fun to play with. Finally, Serra Avenger (this deck is supposed to reach the fourth turn, right?).

The Mill deck
Old favorites of Mind of Void, like Traumatize, Memory Erosion and Jace's Erasure, are a must. Increasing Confusion and Dreadwaters are good options from Innistrad. And I want some Clone variants as well.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

For the discard deck, which I assume there will be, I want x2 Nyxathid.
@ Crazy Toast

You sure do love Innistrad Block cards Laughing.

As far as creatures go I'd like to see some cards with Flash, cards like Ambush Viper, Wolfir Avenger, Briarhorn or Cloudthresher for Green.

I'd like to see Burn at the Stake for the Goblin deck, I used it in a sealed event the other day and it can really take people by surprise, It's good for when an aggro deck runs out of steam and the board becomes a bit clogged.
I dont think we really need Traumatize  or  Memory Erosion .  Having those cards in the deck will just make you the first target in 4 player FFA games like in the first DotP because ppl knew they were in the deck and would just start attacking that person so they wouldnt have to worry about those cards.
I'd like to see better fetchlands. Marsh flats in the exalted deck for example.
I'd like to see better fetchlands. Marsh flats in the exalted deck for example.

This x 100
I would love to see fetch lands in every dual colored deck.
@ Crazy Toast

You sure do love Innistrad Block cards .

As far as creatures go I'd like to see some cards with Flash, cards like Ambush Viper, Wolfir Avenger, Briarhorn or Cloudthresher for Green.

I'd like to see Burn at the Stake for the Goblin deck, I used it in a sealed event the other day and it can really take people by surprise, It's good for when an aggro deck runs out of steam and the board becomes a bit clogged.

Hehe, yep. Innistrad Block for the win!

[C]Burn at the Stake[/C] is a really powerful card. Surprises your opponent and probably wins the game. I plan to build a :R::W: Human Token deck with 2x copies of it.

I would love to see it in the goblin deck aswell. By the way I think the new [C]Beetleback Chief[/C] is probably in that deck aswell.

For Born of Flame:

[C]Caldera Hellion[/C] would be a a nice boardcleaner.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

For Born of Flame:

Akroma, Angel of Fury - One of the best firebreathing creatures avaible.
Devil's Play or Banefire, or both - Much better than blaze.
Pyreheart Wolf - Deadly when combined with firebreathing cretures.
Hound of Griselbrand - Totally in flavor with the flame theme.
Stigma Lasher - Damnation to lifegain.
For Born of Flame:

Akroma, Angel of Fury - One of the better firebreathing creatures avaible.
Pyreheart Wolf - Deadly when combined with other firebreathing cretures.

OMG!!!

Akroma, Angel of Fury is sweet!!

We need more cards like this in the game.  That card is perfect to fake out an opponet and morphing it when they least expect it lol

Stigma Lasher is nice too. Stoping them from gaining life the rest of the game lol
For Born of Flame:

OMG!!!

We need more cards like this in the game.  That card is perfect to fake out an opponet and morphing it when they least expect it lol

Ehh....
It's not much of a fake-put f it's the ONLY Morph creature in the entire game.
"Oh my, he dropped a face-down 2/2, I wonder what it could-- dead".
For Born of Flame:

OMG!!!

Ehh....
It's not much of a fake-put f it's the ONLY Morph creature in the entire game.
"Oh my, he dropped a face-down 2/2, I wonder what it could-- dead".

well yeah if it was the only one.  i would hope they would put more in if they did.
For Born of Flame:

Akroma, Angel of Fury - One of the best firebreathing creatures avaible.
Pyreheart Wolf - Deadly when combined with firebreathing cretures.

And I forgot to add:

Stuffy Doll - Insane combined with red sweepers.

For Born of Flame:

OMG!!!

Stigma Lasher is nice too. Stoping them from gaining life the rest of the game lol

Considering there's a deck which entirely focuses on gaining life (so far in Celestial Light, only 3 cards that don't heal or have an effect dealing with healing like Ajani's Pridemate. And of them, 2 are only support), Stigma Lasher wouldn't be a good idea. It would be an unprecedented counter to heights never seen before in the history of all cardgames to have ever existed.
For Born of Flame:

OMG!!!

Considering there's a deck which entirely focuses on gaining life (so far in Celestial Light, only 3 cards that don't heal or have an effect dealing with healing like Ajani's Pridemate. And of them, 2 are only support), Stigma Lasher wouldn't be a good idea. It would be an unprecedented counter to heights never seen before in the history of all cardgames to have ever existed.

I have to disagree. Life gain is, so far, only a strong feature of Celestial Light. But infinity life won't win you the game. Stigma Lasher would stop Celestial light from gaining life, but not from winning the game. The ultimate counter would be a card like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth against a deck that can only wins through a mill strategy. And the Lasher is, in fact, a weak counter, since it has to connect to be more than a bear.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Some great suggestions here.

Give us instants like Turn to Frog and Fling (->Splattercat) which make games interesting.

The creatures aren’t that important for me, but there would be a lot to name. I’d be definitely happy to see Nyxathid as hydramarine suggested or Archon of Justice. Bloodbraid Elf and Flametongue Kavu would be great to return as well.

I’d love to see some cool enchantments like Phyrexian Arena, Propaganda, Ghostly Prison next to Pacifism effects, Mind Control etc. and a lot of enchantment removal to make the game less creature heavy.

Last but not least a lot of sweepers and sacrificing effects should be in the game.

For Born of Flame:

OMG!!!

I have to disagree. Life gain is, so far, only a strong feature of Celestial Light. But infinity life won't win you the game. Stigma Lasher would stop Celestial light from gaining life, but not from winning the game. The ultimate counter would be a card like Kozilek, Butcher of Truth against a deck that can only wins through a mill strategy. And the Lasher is, in fact, a weak counter, since it has to connect to be more than a bear.

Chandra's 2013 deck can still play even when it's not allowed to deal damage anymore with the exception of attacks, and when it's not allowed to increase its attack anymore. But we both can agree that would cripple the deck immensely to the point of no victory possible.

That's exactly the case with Stigma Lasher vs Celestial Light. Indeed, lifegain doesn't win a game. But don't forget that its cards are overcosted to compensate for them increasing life, and many of them have increasing life as only effect like Archon of Redemption (just a random example). Without lifegain, it's a deck with abysmal cards due to that. Back to Archon: its effect doesn't win the game, not at all. But when combined with that it can easily attack additional times due to you being able to deal with more attackers of the opponents, THAT is what wins games for Celestial Light. Without that, it loses.

Lifegain sucks, but when you're forced to use tons of cards with lifegain (Celestial Light does a nice job for a lifegain deck, so far), losing lifegain is absolutely crippling.
Cant a solemn offering destroy stigma lasher anyway? If Anjani had 4 of those I wouldn't see the issue.
Solemn Offering is for artifacts and enchantments.  So, no.
Maybe he was thinking of Sulfuric Vortex by accident.

I don't think a heavy lifegain deck should mean a direct counter is out of the question of inclusion in the game. It makes perfect sense to me for a direct counter to exist in some form because lifegain can be stupid in large amounts, and it can be brutal against red decks, the color that would get the counter. In a lot of the other match ups, it's probably no better than a bear with wither and most decks can either block or use removal of their own to kill it. Gives a sense of urgency to the game and I like that.
Seeing as how we know a few more of the mill/control deck I wouldn't mind seeing Brain Freeze or Increasing Confusion or maybe even a Grindstone.

Lich's Mirror would be an interesting card.
Keening Stone also seems like it could be a decent finisher of sorts for the mill deck.
I hope they add to slower decks cards that prevent the mill strategy at least to a point, like Elixir of Immortality or Junktroller.
Maybe he was thinking of Sulfuric Vortex by accident.

I don't think a heavy lifegain deck should mean a direct counter is out of the question of inclusion in the game. It makes perfect sense to me for a direct counter to exist in some form because lifegain can be stupid in large amounts, and it can be brutal against red decks, the color that would get the counter. In a lot of the other match ups, it's probably no better than a bear with wither and most decks can either block or use removal of their own to kill it. Gives a sense of urgency to the game and I like that.

I personally don't like the idea of anything that completely invalidates lifegain for the rest of the game.  It feels like too simple of a solution, even if it does have small limitations (Sulfuric Vortex being an enchantment that can be destroyed, and Stigma Lasher being a creature that has to successfully hit the player for it to work), and I especially don't like that it makes most of what we've seen in Celestial Light so far either a dead card or an extremely bad one.  That just sounds unhealthy to me, regardless of how great the rest of the deck is.  I'd much rather see craftier answers to lifegain that don't just shut it down completely.
I personally don't like the idea of anything that completely invalidates lifegain for the rest of the game.  It feels like too simple of a solution, even if it does have small limitations (Sulfuric Vortex being an enchantment that can be destroyed, and Stigma Lasher being a creature that has to successfully hit the player for it to work), and I especially don't like that it makes most of what we've seen in Celestial Light so far either a dead card or an extremely bad one.  That just sounds unhealthy to me, regardless of how great the rest of the deck is.  I'd much rather see craftier answers to lifegain that don't just shut it down completely.

But lifegain doesn't negate red burn as a strategy somewhat? Most of Celestial Light's cards aren't "dead" either as a lot of them are creatures. You're just not getting the extra value out of them without any lifegain. So yes, you get a few things that are overcosted, but that doesn't make the game unwinnable for Celestial Light, but rather puts this deck and burn based decks on a more even footing.
I have to agree with Brodo here, lifegain is a pain the **** to play against when your red-burn, so a few hate cards to even things out seems fine with me.
Still though, I would be more willing to accept Sulfuric Vortex than Stigma Lasher. It's far less absolute.
The Red player could drop the 2cmc Lasher, burn away a defender and kill the other deack's primary means of survival just that simply.

Sulfuric Vortex is still very effective but isn't quite as "you lose".
If Celestial Light only win-con was a card like Test of Endurance, I would agree if you guys. But that's not the case.It has to use it's creatures of whatever to win anyways...

Lifegain is the perfect counter to Red Burn. Without a card life the Lasher or Sulfuric Vortex, it doesn't have a chance. It's like standard right now, where RDW isn't tier 1 because of Timely Reinforcements.

Still though, I would be more willing to accept Sulfuric Vortex than Stigma Lasher. It's far less absolute.
The Red player could drop the 2cmc Lasher, burn away a defender and kill the other deack's primary means of survival just that simply.

Sulfuric Vortex is still very effective but isn't quite as "you lose".

I probably like Sulfuric Vortex better as a card as well. Global effect so it flows better in multiplayer and it's not as one sided in single player games.

I kind of agree about having an ability you're able to interact with as well, but I don't think that makes Stigma Lasher too powerful. If a burn deck has to spend a card burning something like Lone Missionary so he can connect once with the Lasher, that's probably not that bad for the Celestial Light player. A deck like Celestial Light still has other methods of playing it's deck out, just at a weaker level now. I'm sure the late game isn't just focused on how much life it can gain either. We know it has Purity, another powerful card against red decks. High toughness, damage prevention into lifegain. That's good. Heck, that creature could even turn a card like Sulfuric Vortex against it's owner because of the damage prevention and the owner ends up being burned out by it.
Just out of interest, are there any mythic rare one drops?

Most of the Mythic one drops are reprints of old cards that weren't mythics, because mythic is more recent, like Berserk. But we have one that isn't: Dragonmaster Outcast. We have mythics with 0cmc too, like Mox Opal and Eye of Ugin.

Most of the Mythic one drops are reprints of old cards that weren't mythics, because mythic is more recent, like Berserk. But we have one that isn't: Dragonmaster Outcast. We have mythics with 0cmc too, like Mox Opal and Eye of Ugin.

Sweet, cheers for the info, i always like seeing cards that dont appear in DOTP.

Sweet, cheers for the info, i always like seeing cards that dont appear in DOTP.

Do you know something funny? Dragonmaster Outcast appeared in both DotP'09 and DotP'12. In the first, it was on Edge of Madness (Sarkhan the Mad's deck), and it is on Dragon's Roar in DotP'12.

Do you know something funny? Dragonmaster Outcast appeared in both DotP'09 and DotP'12. In the first, it was on Edge of Madness (Sarkhan the Mad's deck), and it is on Dragon's Roar in DotP'12.

Really? I never knew that. I wanted edge of madness sooo bad as a playable deck. I dont know why that deck was so good but Dragons Roar was so crappy and nerfed. Its just terrible, a red+black deck is next to no removal? Whoever made DR must of been pretty high that day
Yes edge of madness was sick. I hope red black gets its due in 2013!
Edge of Madness was the bastard son of Ancient Depths and Dark Heavens. The plan was "use big guys to win the game", but it didn't have very good ramp as AD or very good control as DH.

Edge of Madness was a bad deck. Yes, it had removals, but beside of that, it was much too slow, the 2 x Eldrazis and 1 dragon are the only attackforce. I beat it a lot in DoTP 2009 with the bad constructed decks.

Dark Heavens is very similar to Edge of Madness, but have many good early creatures, more fatties and also alot of removal.
If Celestial Light only win-con was a card like Test of Endurance, I would agree if you guys. But that's not the case.It has to use it's creatures of whatever to win anyways...

Lifegain is the perfect counter to Red Burn. Without a card life the Lasher or Sulfuric Vortex, it doesn't have a chance. It's like standard right now, where RDW isn't tier 1 because of Timely Reinforcements.

It still stands an enourmous chance. Just blast the creatures instead of the opponent's life, and hack through. Eventually you of course won't have burn cards left, but you'll have a much bigger army of creatures then.

Besides, what's more balanced? One deck being slightly worse than the other (though seeing both decklists, I'd say Chandra's deck is better), or one deck being completely ROFLstomped by the other because almost all its effects are negated? When looking at Celestial Light, can you really say with a straight face it would stand a chance if it can't gain life? When not ignoring mana costs, of course.
Sign In to post comments