Suggestion Regarding Healing Potions

As has been discussed (and discussed and discussed and discussed) in other threads, there seems to be a complaint as to the availability and (over)usefulness of the healing potion, especially when coupled with the Herbalism feat.

The Problem: (Some) People think that this is too much healing for too small a price. What's to stop an adventuring party from using a large portion of their wealth to stock up on healing potions before they attempt an expedition? The idea that every potion consumed reduces the party's profit margin by 25 - 50 gold pieces doesn't seem to be enough of a deterrent in some groups.

The Suggestion: Potion Poisoning. Just as in real life, too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing. Many medicines include a warning or instructions regarding the frequency with which they are to be consumed. Potion Poisoning, as an optional rule, would look something like this:

"A normal (non-PC) character can gain the benefits of consuming any given potion only once in a twelve hour period. A heroic (PC) character can gain the benefits of consuming any given potion a number of times in a twelve hour period equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1). Potions consumed in excess of this number do not grant any benefit to a character and could possibly poison the character (as per normal poison rules)."

The Obstacle: 1) Creatures with Poison Immunity (for example, Dwarves). While the suggestion as written would still deny them the benefit of consuming a potion, they wouldn't need to worry about becoming "poisoned" by it. 2) The suggested rule isn't intended to stop a character from using more than one type of potion or consumable item. A character with a +3 Con modifier could consume three healing potions in a 12-hour period AND 3 potions of fire breath in a 12 hour period AND 3 potions of ease of movement in a 12-hour period, et cetera. 3) This limits the usefulness of potions drastically, and could affect the base price for such items.

This post is intended as feedback to the developers, rather than a suggestion for playtesters to use during their playtests. The playtests, I believe, should ONLY be run using the rules as written to avoid confusion during the feedback process.
This is solved by supply, if there are only 4 available that's all you get.  Might get a couple more in the store next week...
Actually, that is not a bad idea. The heal potion works only once per long rest
LOL, I have exactly the opposite complaint.  Until you get a 3rd level herbalist, healing potions aren't powerful enough!

If you don't allow healing potions, how do you expect a group to get thru more than 2-3 fights in a day?
One of my first ideas on regulating that was giving abusive potion use a chance of causing unregulated cell growth (cancer) but considered that it was a bit too grim.

The second was that healing potions could be indifferent to what they sustain and have a chance of incubating nasty diseases. But then people would avoid them like the plague (duh duh da tish).

The tird and winning idea was that the second idea was true, so that in order to keep potions sterile, they must at least contain 50% alcohol by volume, giving anyone who abuses them disadvantage and eventually unconsciousness. 
The tird and winning idea was that the second idea was true, so that in order to keep potions sterile, they must at least contain 50% alcohol by volume, giving anyone who abuses them disadvantage and eventually unconsciousness. 

I dig this.

Idea: Build a tolerance?  Like alcohol, constant use yields diminishing returns.  First healing potion heals d8.  Next, d8-1.  Then d8-2... until you detox for 8 hours or so.  I suppose you could give them wathdrawal DTs if you wanna be really dark about it.
It is worth pointing out that PCs (at least of level 1-5 or so) have more hit points than 3.x, and the healing potion costs the same amount (literally and relative to other common adventuring gear) while healing one less damage.

The problem is Healer's Touch is crazy-good.

Augment Healing was a solid to strong 3.5 feat (+2 healing/spell level) for clerics.

Healer's Touch reads to me as:  

+3.5 healing/spell level (assuming that cure light, moderate etc will work roughly the same way)
Anything you ever make heals this extra +3.5,
Anyone around you heals extra between battles.

Putting 4e style "silly healing" on 3.5-style gameplay is going to make combats a real slog at high levels, as well as making feats like this one effectively a tax.
Dealing with WotC customer service is like milking an emu... You might get scratched, bitten or kicked, or might simply be ignored, but you won't be successful... and people will think you odd for trying.

I'll second some support for control on healing magic. I know a lot of people are down on healing surges, but the thing I loved about them the most is it stopped the party doesn't stop because they are hurt and tired since they never run out of wands of cure light wounds or healing potions. I dread the idea of adventuring parties that don't stop until the wizard is out of spells because they have buckets of healing potions.

I think the game is much better served relying on innate toughness/recovery mechanics, first aid skill, and genuine magical healing to maintain their fighting strength than gold and a near-endless supply of potions.

As the game stands, with the limited amount of non-magical recovery options, I have a hard time imagining my players not attempting to drag a ridiculous number of potions around with them at all times.

I'll second some support for control on healing magic. I know a lot of people are down on healing surges, but the thing I loved about them the most is it stopped the party doesn't stop because they are hurt and tired since they never run out of wands of cure light wounds or healing potions. I dread the idea of adventuring parties that don't stop until the wizard is out of spells because they have buckets of healing potions.

I think the game is much better served relying on innate toughness/recovery mechanics, first aid skill, and genuine magical healing to maintain their fighting strength than gold and a near-endless supply of potions.

As the game stands, with the limited amount of non-magical recovery options, I have a hard time imagining my players not attempting to drag a ridiculous number of potions around with them at all times.

Why is this a problem?  I'm trying to understand why fighting for more than 3-5 minutes in a single day (in my experience most fights last 10 rounds or less) is an issue.  If the party wants to pay for and carry around a barrel'o'healing potions, why not let them?

If you think it would be  exhausting, that's another issue.  After a set number of fights have them start doing con/endurance checks that get progressively tougher.  Penalize them in some way that makes sense to you - they're so tired they are granting advantage to opponents or the like.  

I'm actually a big fan of long adventuring days with many combats. I just don't think the mechanic for it should be a bag full of healing potions. I think the limiting agent should be in the hands of the PCs and their abilities and not their bags of gold. That way you can design a PC who is tough and durable, instead of buying one later one.
Honestly, I don't have a problem with healing potions, but a LOT of other people seem to. Since D&DN is supposed to be the system of Options, then I thought I'd suggest one.
I'm in the court that thinks that healing is a little too reliant on potions at this point. My group opted to change the rules so that your hit dice pool is usable per short rest rather than per day. Since getting them requires a use of a healing kit, we don't find it unbalancing, but it allows us to have a longer adventuring day.