So how many wizards are now alchoholics?

Mechanically the condition of intoxicated has a super strong DR (a much needed boost for wizard defence) balanced by a DA penalty on attack rolls.

Except ... magic doesn't make attack rolls for most spells. Those who suffer from spells instead make saving throws where any drunken goofiness wouldn't apply. If you really still need damage there is always magic missle (which of course you can cast in melee because what do you care about yet another DA if you dont make attacks?).

Just curious how many drunken mages are rolling around in games now?


Guess thats why wizards need high INT scores, they need a lot of extra brain cells as backup for the ones they are killing off with each rum soaked bender.   

     


If one of my players tried to do that, I would have them roleplay it (I would also accept them actually being drunk, as long as they're not too obnoxious). If they don't mind acting (or being) drunk all night, I'm ok with them playing an alchoholic wizard. I actually think it's a fun character concept.

 
If one of my players tried to do that, I would have them roleplay it (I would also accept them actually being drunk, as long as they're not too obnoxious). If they don't mind acting (or being) drunk all night, I'm ok with them playing an alchoholic wizard. I actually think it's a fun character concept.

 



I'm with this guy. It wouldn't bother me at all, and is potentially very funny.
you could get a problem with magic missile when all oponents get free mirror image. Tongue Out


I hope the intoxicated condition was put in there just to see how people reacted to a perks/flaws system and not as an actual plan.

Because its a perk/flaw that looks like it was given absolutely ZERO consideration for balance.

Character optimization is a group decision not an individual one.
It's a fun concept, and I like that it's viable.

I dislike, however, that drunken fighting is mechanically way better than sober fighting.
IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/2.jpg)
It's a fun concept, and I like that it's viable.

I dislike, however, that drunken fighting is mechanically way better than sober fighting.


I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to playtest it yet (we're doing that on Monday) but to me disadvantage looks really harsh, I don't think it's really all that worth it. Except, of course, to wizards, who don't have to make attack rolls if they don't want to.
It's a fun concept, and I like that it's viable.

I dislike, however, that drunken fighting is mechanically way better than sober fighting.


I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to playtest it yet (we're doing that on Monday) but to me disadvantage looks really harsh, I don't think it's really all that worth it. Except, of course, to wizards, who don't have to make attack rolls if they don't want to.


Right, I meant to wizards specifically. I haven't played with drunkeness much yet either, just some quick number crunching on my side. Negating 3.5 damage average on every attack is quite good though. Disadvantage is at worst -5, but at an average (assuming that any required value from 1 to 20 is equally likely) you're 16.625% less likely to succeed with disadvantage, aka it's a -3.325 penalty. In practice since your target numbers will probably be closer to the center I reckon the average in actual play will wind up being about a -4. Since a defender doesn't actually have any way to defend the party short of killing the enemy before he walks up to the squishier party members, chances are going in sober will still be better than going in drunk.
IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/2.jpg)
It's a fun concept, and I like that it's viable.

I dislike, however, that drunken fighting is mechanically way better than sober fighting.


I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to playtest it yet (we're doing that on Monday) but to me disadvantage looks really harsh, I don't think it's really all that worth it. Except, of course, to wizards, who don't have to make attack rolls if they don't want to.


Right, I meant to wizards specifically. I haven't played with drunkeness much yet either, just some quick number crunching on my side. Negating 3.5 damage average on every attack is quite good though. Disadvantage is at worst -5, but at an average (assuming that any required value from 1 to 20 is equally likely) you're 16.625% less likely to succeed with disadvantage, aka it's a -3.325 penalty. In practice since your target numbers will probably be closer to the center I reckon the average in actual play will wind up being about a -4. Since a defender doesn't actually have any way to defend the party short of killing the enemy before he walks up to the squishier party members, chances are going in sober will still be better than going in drunk.


The value of the penalty from disadvantage is entirely dependent on the target number, so AC and attack bonus are both going to factor in. It's kind of tough to say if the DR is worth the loss in accuracy since it's a highly dynamic penalty. But yeah, wizards should totally drink all the time.

The value of the penalty from disadvantage is entirely dependent on the target number, so AC and attack bonus are both going to factor in. It's kind of tough to say if the DR is worth the loss in accuracy since it's a highly dynamic penalty.

Well, AC and attack bonus really just lower or raise the number you need to roll. But it is indeed very dependant on circumstance. That's why I did the math based on range of potential values and then went for a rough eyeballing of more likely values. If you want deeper analysis, here's this: anydice.com/program/1223
But yeah, wizards should totally drink all the time.


Indeed. On general principle even, regardless of the mechanics involved.
IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/2.jpg)
As mentioned in my blog:


Intoxication (major feedback)


Intoxicated should NOTbe a condition. In reality, being drunk is technically the same as being poisoned. This is also true for taking drugs or smoking cigarettes. All of these things should fall under poisons in the core rules. Later modular rules could then focus on the specific effects of alcohol, drugs and cigarettes.

Furthermore, intoxicated is very unbalanced. If the party was a group of humans who drank themselves into a stupor and then walked into a cave filled with goblins and started hacking away, they would probably miss most of their attacks, but the goblins would practically deal no damage at all. We (my players and me) therefore suggest that instead of reducing damage taken when intoxicated, then intoxicated simply ensures that your character is still conscious even when you go below 0 hit points.


You can read more about our D&D Next playtest feedback on my blog.

The idea of -a- drunken wizard is potentially funny and might be a good RP thing. The idea of -every- drunken wizard is a lot more facepalmy. If all I intended to do was read the rules of Next and make jokes about it, or if I was only going to DM for one wizard ever, then sure, the rule would be fine in my book. But I kind of feel like "not drunk all the time" should sort of be the default for every character archetype, especially ones less traditionally associated with boozin' it up, like wizards. I'd hate to see "electing not to be constantly drunk" as an example of "sacrificing mechanical potency for RP reasons." It's a really fun character concept... once or twice. It's a ludicrous thing to have be the default mechanical choice for the premiere arcanist class.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
ah ah me too I thought of the drunken elf wizard...
you could get a problem with magic missile when all oponents get free mirror image.


ah ah, usually I don't approve this kind of solution but it's too funny! Bravo!

I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to playtest it yet (we're doing that on Monday) but to me disadvantage looks really harsh, I don't think it's really all that worth it. Except, of course, to wizards, who don't have to make attack rolls if they don't want to.



It should work for the sample fighter too, at least when going up against weakling enemies like kobolds or giant centipedes. Atfer all, his Slayer Theme ability means that he still kills a kobold a round even if his attack misses. So hitting or missing is not important in that circumstance.

Might still be worthwhile against Goblins who are guaranteed to go down in the second round even on a miss in the first. Your chance to kill them in one round decreases, but unless you are impatient, the greatly diminished damage from their attacks will probably still be worth it.

I still don't get why people are making such a big deal of the intoxication condition and wizards or any player.  It's not that big a deal, they get disadvantage on their rolls and even if some or all of their spells don't require attack rolls exactly then they're even with the sober wizard casting spells.  Except that if they try and use any skills or do anything that requires an attack roll they have disadvantage.  Yeah yeah, they have a d6 of damage resistance.  So what?  On average that's a 3 points of DR.  The thing is with the rules there's nothing stopping the monster from heading straight to the wizard pegging him with magic missile or whatever and stepping on him.

A troll's attack is 2d4+6.  So on average that's 10 damage.  The average wizard will mostly likely only have a Con score of 11 or 12, so their HP at say level 1 along with their d4 hit die is 13-14.  The troll can walk over, attack the wizard doing on average 7 damage with DR accounting for 3 of it.  That's half or more the wizard's HP.  Second attack, bam wizard is down.

Obvious yeah that's just based on averaging everything and sure HP, DR, and damage can be higher or lower.  But in the end the DR really doesn't matter.  Having the intoxicated condition is fun, and nice to have because in a lot of games people roleplay their characters drinking(especially if people play dwarves).  Now we just have solid rules for what happens.  Well aside from how long you stay drunk...but anyway.  The thing is, as someone on the first page mentioned if a player wanted to try taking advantage of this condition by being an alcoholic he'd let them as long as they RP'ed it.  Any sensible DM will take in the situation, the player(s), etc.  If suddenly all the players say they're going to start getting drunk before every fight they can, then fine.  There're ways to account for that, maybe the DM will add additional penalties like you can't charge while drunk due to coordination or whatever he wants.  In the end though the DR really isn't an issue, and while the wizard and cleric gets around the disadvantage to attack rolls it still isn't going to do much to save them if they're being attacked by monsters. 
you could get a problem with magic missile when all oponents get free mirror image. 



I like this. It would also make firing into a melee dangerous, while firing into a crowd of enemies wouldn't be a problem at all.
Ok, this thread makes me want 4e “defenses” to come back. The attacker always rolls.

Attacking abilities is fine with me tho. 
Seriously, I want to know why in the world being drunk would convey DR at all?!

Never mind the whole 'drunk drivers survive crashes more often', that's a specialized case.  Drunk people take damage from weapons, whether fists or blades, just the same.  Ask any Cop, he'll explain it to you.  

Often they're even easier to hit.  They might not Realize they've been hurt, but that doesn't lessen the damage or what it does to them.
There's a good chance a wizard--ANY wizard--will have magic missiles and arrows coming his way.  If those missiles or arrows do a single point of damage, the wizard becomes disrupted.

Good luck making con checks to cast relevant magics when you want while you're permanently disadvantaged. 
This is one thing I'd want thoroughly tested before any rash changes are made. Cause honestly, to me it just looks like harmless fun right now.
Seriously, I want to know why in the world being drunk would convey DR at all?!

Never mind the whole 'drunk drivers survive crashes more often', that's a specialized case.  Drunk people take damage from weapons, whether fists or blades, just the same.  Ask any Cop, he'll explain it to you.  

Often they're even easier to hit.  They might not Realize they've been hurt, but that doesn't lessen the damage or what it does to them.



It makes them more dangerous because they're in the fight longer - DR keeps characters in the fight longer. Fighting drunk people is not fun, by the time they realise they don't want to be fighting anymore, there's a lot of blood on the ground.
Seriously, I want to know why in the world being drunk would convey DR at all?!

Never mind the whole 'drunk drivers survive crashes more often', that's a specialized case.  Drunk people take damage from weapons, whether fists or blades, just the same.  Ask any Cop, he'll explain it to you.  

Often they're even easier to hit.  They might not Realize they've been hurt, but that doesn't lessen the damage or what it does to them.



It makes them more dangerous because they're in the fight longer - DR keeps characters in the fight longer. Fighting drunk people is not fun, by the time they realise they don't want to be fighting anymore, there's a lot of blood on the ground.

Maybe being drunk should inflict disadvantage on AC and maybe saving throws as well. I don't think one could defend their body or mind very effectively while drunk. (I could picture being drunk giving bonuses to defend against certain mind-affecting effects, mind you.)
That's the thing, being drunk is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Getting disadvantage status and DR is both, and it's random. You can try modeling it exactly, and you end up with something terribly convoluted. Or you have what Crawford likes and is a very simple system. Plus amusing as hell.
Maybe being drunk should inflict disadvantage on AC and maybe saving throws as well. I don't think one could defend their body or mind very effectively while drunk. (I could picture being drunk giving bonuses to defend against certain mind-affecting effects, mind you.)


You can't have disadvantage on AC, you don't roll AC. Having disadvantag on saving throws makes sense, though I must have misread, cause I thought it already did that.
Seriously, I want to know why in the world being drunk would convey DR at all?!

Never mind the whole 'drunk drivers survive crashes more often', that's a specialized case.  Drunk people take damage from weapons, whether fists or blades, just the same.  Ask any Cop, he'll explain it to you.  

Often they're even easier to hit.  They might not Realize they've been hurt, but that doesn't lessen the damage or what it does to them.



Because HP isn't all about injury anymore, nor has it been for quite some time. The packet clearly says that you are not damaged until you are bloodied ... I mean until you're at half-hp, and even then the signs that you were in a fight are superficial cuts and bruises. You haven't been stabbed, slashed open, or had a throat collapse until you hit 0 hp.

Being drunk makes you less suseptable to pain. 

Poe's Law is alive and well.

It's things like that which really make my blood boil.  It's so arbitrary it has no purpose being in the game.  If you're  drunk in game, RP it, and the DM should handle how it affects your actions IF a roll is needed.  Assigning something  such as DR to a dibilitating condition, and trying to argue why it works mechanically....Yell
There's a good chance a wizard--ANY wizard--will have magic missiles and arrows coming his way.  If those missiles or arrows do a single point of damage, the wizard becomes disrupted.

Good luck making con checks to cast relevant magics when you want while you're permanently disadvantaged. 



I don't believe cantrips can be disrupted.

-Polaris
It's things like that which really make my blood boil.  It's so arbitrary it has no purpose being in the game.  If you're  drunk in game, RP it, and the DM should handle how it affects your actions IF a roll is needed.  Assigning something  such as DR to a dibilitating condition, and trying to argue why it works mechanically....



Just shows we have a better understanding of the world than you.
There's a good chance a wizard--ANY wizard--will have magic missiles and arrows coming his way.  If those missiles or arrows do a single point of damage, the wizard becomes disrupted.

Good luck making con checks to cast relevant magics when you want while you're permanently disadvantaged. 



Recehck the mechanics ... disadvantage would be an apropriately harsh penalty if you rolled to hit, except in the drunken mage case you wouldnt.


And in the case of "CON check or miss spell" a DR shield is actually quite strong to remove the chance of ever rolling that. 


The point is that is a very silly condition that never shold be part of the game and is way overpowered right now for certain concepts even in this stipped down version much less as the "char op" folks eventually get a hold of it with more advanced modules.


There is a point wehre the designer who giggled as they made that condition should be gently but firmly escorted away from the combat pillar of D&D and back to the roleplay / exploration pillar where they cant do too much harm.  I am pretty sure someone wanted their dwarf to be drunk and things just spiraled out of control from there ...     

I'll admit I haven't gotten the chance to playtest it yet (we're doing that on Monday) but to me disadvantage looks really harsh, I don't think it's really all that worth it. Except, of course, to wizards, who don't have to make attack rolls if they don't want to.



It should work for the sample fighter too, at least when going up against weakling enemies like kobolds or giant centipedes. Atfer all, his Slayer Theme ability means that he still kills a kobold a round even if his attack misses. So hitting or missing is not important in that circumstance.

Might still be worthwhile against Goblins who are guaranteed to go down in the second round even on a miss in the first. Your chance to kill them in one round decreases, but unless you are impatient, the greatly diminished damage from their attacks will probably still be worth it.



I can see this also being a fun role playing experience as well. 

Slayer  "What are we up against?"

Rogue  "Well from what I can tell there are about 50 kobolds in the valley.  The have set up a perimiter guard and ..."

Slayer "Kobolds?  I'm going to have to be drunk for this to be any fun at all."

Rogue "What?"

Wizard "...wha he sailed.... seared... er.. said"

Rouge "I need to find new employers."

Cleric "Sorry, it's a side effect of drinking all those health potions.  Normally the alcohol content isn't a factor but the Elf has been downing them all day."

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

The penalty is on ALL checks! If anyone decides to grapple the wizard, he's pretty much out of the combat.


The drunken wizard trying to stop a ritual of evil cultists using int/arcana, trying to decipher a script in order to get out of the dungeon before it's full of water, trying to sneak past an orc army... Not to speak of fighting next to a pit, having to stay out of it and in case it's not too deep, trying to get up from there There's plenty of reasons to keep sober!


And this condition even more fun when if fumble rules are used, we've been using them always!

Shaper & Maker galleries

The penalty is on ALL checks! If anyone decides to grapple the wizard, he's pretty much out of the combat.


The drunken wizard trying to stop a ritual of evil cultists using int/arcana, trying to decipher a script in order to get out of the dungeon before it's full of water, trying to sneak past an orc army... Not to speak of fighting next to a pit, having to stay out of it and in case it's not too deep, trying to get up from there There's plenty of reasons to keep sober!


And this condition even more fun when if fumble rules are used, we've been using them always!





You don't have to make a check to cast many (most spells) and for cantrips, I don't believe they can be interrupted.  This makes the Drunk Wizard very viable.


-Polaris  
You don't have to make a check to cast many (most spells) and for cantrips, I don't believe they can be interrupted.  This makes the Drunk Wizard very viable.


-Polaris  


Perhaps, if the game is very combat-oriented and uses little skills/abilities. But even then, enemy wizard's spells are saved at disadvantage, would d6 DR be worth it if you are likely to fail your saves against the opponent's spells? And if he's using a Shield -spell, your magic missile tactic starts to feel like a bad idea.

It depends on the situation when this works, and you can't just cancel being drunk. Or at least it will hopefully take a spell slot (not the lowest) and an action! I could see the wizards preparing 'de-intoxicate' spell as a contignency :D
Shaper & Maker galleries

The penalty is on ALL checks! If anyone decides to grapple the wizard, he's pretty much out of the combat.


The drunken wizard trying to stop a ritual of evil cultists using int/arcana, trying to decipher a script in order to get out of the dungeon before it's full of water, trying to sneak past an orc army... Not to speak of fighting next to a pit, having to stay out of it and in case it's not too deep, trying to get up from there There's plenty of reasons to keep sober!


And this condition even more fun when if fumble rules are used, we've been using them always!





You don't have to make a check to cast many (most spells) and for cantrips, I don't believe they can be interrupted.  This makes the Drunk Wizard very viable.


-Polaris  



At low levels yes.  The little viability he gets at the beginning will make for great RP as will the sobering up process when those cantrips are no longer quite enough damage to make the decision viable.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

If one of my players tried to do that, I would have them roleplay it (I would also accept them actually being drunk, as long as they're not too obnoxious). If they don't mind acting (or being) drunk all night, I'm ok with them playing an alchoholic wizard. I actually think it's a fun character concept.

 


Incidentally I have it on good authority (like half a dozen of my friend who ahve seen me drunk, several of which don't drink) that aside from a loss of motor skills and speech faculties, the only difference between sober me and drunk me is that drunk me is insistent on my friends making a note of what I'm like drunk and informing me of it when I'm sober (for science). So, I guess my point is I can totally roleplay that :33.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
The damage reduction is just silly. Drunk people are hurt just like other people, ie. they receive the same damage. The only difference is that drunk (intoxicated) people don't feel the pain as much. In game terms, the character is not aware that he has taken lots of damage. This a perception issue, it doesn't have anything to do with reduced damage. What should be done is, having to character continue to operate when he goes below 0 hp.

Rule proposal:  

All intoxicated characters roll every check, save or attack with disadvantage. Actions that normally do not require checks, reqiure a check with relevant ability. The first time an intoxicated character gets below 0 hp, he does not fall uncouncious. He can continue like he is above 0 hp, but unconcious rules apply. When he receives any damage during this time (from attack or from failing the death save etc.), he immediately falls prone to the ground. 
The damage reduction is just silly. Drunk people are hurt just like other people, ie. they receive the same damage. The only difference is that drunk (intoxicated) people don't feel the pain as much. In game terms, the character is not aware that he has taken lots of damage. This a perception issue, it doesn't have anything to do with reduced damage. What should be done is, having to character continue to operate when he goes below 0 hp.


Say it with me now;
HP IS AN ABSTRACTION (Srsly, this is one of the things that needs to be printed in 36 point red font on the first page of the PHB). Though the 1d6 bit bugs me infinitely. Why in the [Debutantes avert your eyes] do we need to roll for it every time? Just make it 3 or 4 and save us some time. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not a huge deal, but it strikes me as the mahcinations of somebody who loves their dice a little too much.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
The damage reduction is just silly. Drunk people are hurt just like other people, ie. they receive the same damage. The only difference is that drunk (intoxicated) people don't feel the pain as much. In game terms, the character is not aware that he has taken lots of damage. This a perception issue, it doesn't have anything to do with reduced damage. What should be done is, having to character continue to operate when he goes below 0 hp.



I prefer simple rulings, and the current one looks fine to me - although I want to test it in practice first.

About drunk people getting hurt, it's been stated (and this time really emphasized) that hitpoints represent luck, vigor, skill and other factors, and not ability to absorb actual hits, they would be quite absurd if they would represent just that. In this case, DR presents both drunk's luck and ability to ignore pain. And human mind can do incredible things, I've heard a story (I have no reason to doubt to be fake) about a guy who's actually started bleeding BADLY only after a dangerous situation has passed and adrenaline levels have dropped. While simulating this would be presented better by taking damage afterwars, I don't know if it's necessary. And one more point, I think D&D is more about cinematic realism than actual realism.

Shaper & Maker galleries


You don't have to make a check to cast many (most spells) and for cantrips, I don't believe they can be interrupted.  This makes the Drunk Wizard very viable.


-Polaris  



Except for the concentration check if you take damage, in order to cast any non-cantrip spell.

Also, the thing I'd be looking at first is:

How much does it take to get intoxicated? Because I need to carry around that much alcohol times the number of encounters I expect to be part of, with me until I can get back into town. So that's going to mean a certain ammount of gold AND weight I'd be spending. It may be cheaper than potions, but it will definitely be heavier.

With no rules in place on HOW to get intoxicated and WHAT gets you intoxicated, I can't tell how powerful or not intoxication actually is. If there was a 50gp per use potion that gave people the effects of intoxication ... would someone go out of their way to use one in every fight? If the wizard has to have a keg strapped to his back (or the dwarves) just to pull it off, would they still do it? 
The damage reduction is just silly. Drunk people are hurt just like other people, ie. they receive the same damage. The only difference is that drunk (intoxicated) people don't feel the pain as much. In game terms, the character is not aware that he has taken lots of damage. This a perception issue, it doesn't have anything to do with reduced damage. What should be done is, having to character continue to operate when he goes below 0 hp.


Say it with me now;
HP IS AN ABSTRACTION (Srsly, this is one of the things that needs to be printed in 36 point red font on the first page of the PHB). Though the 1d6 bit bugs me infinitely. Why in the [Debutantes avert your eyes] do we need to roll for it every time? Just make it 3 or 4 and save us some time. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not a huge deal, but it strikes me as the mahcinations of somebody who loves their dice a little too much.



It doesn't have anything to do with abstraction. Call it physical endurance, fatique, vigor, luck whatever. Drunk people think they are still fine with any of these although in reality they are not.  They simply misjudge their potential. That's what I was talking about. Also, there is a real problem with game mechanics. A 1d6 damage reduction effectively means, ignoring all damage from any mace attacks from 8 directions, if everyone rolls average numbers.

It doesn't have anything to do with abstraction. Call it physical endurance, fatique, vigor, luck whatever. Drunk people think they are still fine with any of these although in reality they are not.


So they keep fighting when a sober person would have stopped?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Sign In to post comments