Modules you would like to see: Suggestions needed!

I was arguing with some folks in the OA and Marking thread and the thought occured to me that the whole marking system was really highly moduluar. You don't have to have it but you could and it wouldn't hurt anyone as long as it was modular.

The beauty of the modular system is by comparmentalising the bits of previous editions we actually liked we can all get what we want and pick the best bits of all the systems. (The downside is basically every table will play with a subtly different set of rules but one bridge at a time).

With that in mind I ask myself what other highly contenous systems should be modular (in the aim to please bother the rather upset 4e crowd and the old timers).

I thought I would outline a few and let other people add their own and critique mine.

Edit: As other people have begun suggesting I have startted adding them to the orignal post for a consise overview of what has been suggested. I have put by namehere next to idea's I didn't come up with.

Combat Related

1. Grid-based combat - Since there has been a lot of push against this I rather think it should be added as a module. If you  stop and think about it this make a fair amount of sense. Core rules don't need it and the rules around it could be added ont heir own fairly easily. In my opinion this can include OAs and things older edition players are used to.

2. Hex-based Combat (by Kerrus) - Options for hex-based combat verse a regular grid and when it is most appropriate.

3. d6 group initiative (by kerouz) - Still not sure how this one works if someone want to offer an explanation.

4. Mass Combat and Transportation

• Boardgame Style (by samandmax) - The mass combat plays like a traditional boardgame. The player's characters participate in the boardgame as units. After the fight, they receive XP points.

• Roleplaying style (by samandmax) - The combat plays "like the movies". Specifically, the characters wander through the battlefield (with the rank and file fighting in the background) until they meet a villain and they square off. The results of the individual combat influence the outcome of the war.

• Mounted Combat (Mass and otherwise by arderkrag)

• Seige Engine usage (by arderkrag) - Rules simple enough to be summarized in a page. 

• Complete vehicle usage rules (by arderkrag)

• Fortification rules (by arderkrag) - Including rules Including rules for fortifcations an average person could afford.

• Flat Spellcasting - I think vancian casting should be in the core rules, but I think flat spellcasting could be offered as a complete replacement without to much effort. It isn't hard to say 'Just don't worry about the core on these rules this module is a complete replacement.'  Alternately one could add classes with flat spellcasting like teh warlock in 3rd edition.

• Action Points

• 4e by (JoonTehUnagi) - An action point system similiar to the 4e system. 

• d20 Modern Style (by JoonTehUnagi) - An action point system similiar to the 4e system

• Alternate Armor Rules (by Aehrlon68) -  Sections for new materials and potential variation in exist armor. Armo balencing, etc.

• Alternate Healing Options (by Tichrimo) - Really this one might be handled by the core but we will see.

• 4e style healing surges - rip out and replace Hit Dice

• 4e non-divine healing classes - bard, warlord, shaman

• Alternative uses of Next's Hit Dice - max die, average die, weighted average die (1d6 becomes 1d4+2, etc.)

• Natural healing - 1e (1 hp per day), 3e (1 hp per level per day), 4e (return to max hp with one rest) 

Character Buildering and Advancement

1. Powers and Roles - I loathed the powers and roles system but they seem to make sense to those that have powers and roles in mind from various other games. The problem with this module is it would have to cater basically to the core classes. Developing a set of powers for a class makes expanding classes to the level previous editions saw restrictive. This would also 'balence' the classes with the powers. Essentially it would be very 4e.

2. Skills and Feats (by Rupert_ADnD) - Presumably as seen in previous editions.

3. Background and Themes  (by Rupert_ADnD) - With specific talent trees associated with skills.

4. Combat Manuvers (by shanelwalden) - A list of combat manuevers that can be done such like trip, sunder, disarm. Combat Mastery for the Fighter similiar to the Rogue's skill mastery (when making a trained check your minimum dice result is a10).

5. Character Catch Up (by samandmax) - Stolen from Chaosiums' Cities supplement. Any player whose characters were not involved for several weeks of gaming time would roll on the table to "see what their character was doing". Not only was this a practical idea for players who couldn't make game sessions, but it added character background and could also be "played" by itself!

6. More powerful races and ECL - I used to love that DnD was a game of inequality. Somethings were stronger than others. It doesn't jive with the players that want everything to be balenced so optional adjustments and bonuses along with penalties for races that should be more powerful then others.

7. Multiclassing - Multiclassing can be handled so many ways to the upsetting of so many people that in my mind there should literally be a few way to handle it that you decide on in your campaign. Nearly every table I have sat at has different rules for it anyway regardless of edition (except 4e which just made is ludriously restrictive). Core would have no multiclass options at all.

• Free for all  - Take any class and treat it as if you had taken level 1 in it (essentially 3rd edition). Penalties imposed for overdoing it. Both strict and open rules for this. For somepeople teh opennes of 3rd edition was lovely and for other s a nightmare. 

• Exp Pools - I found this idea instresting as well, but don't fully understand it. if someone want to spell it out that would be great.

• Dabbling - Essentially 4e style. A little flavor from a different class but that is it.

• Dual-classing (by stoloc) - A dual classing progression closer to what is seen in 1st/2nd edition. A full and better description is in his post linked here.

• Classes

1. Non-Core Classes (by Aehrlon68) - Any classes not explictly needed to run the game. You don't really need invokers and psonics. That doesn't mean we don't like them. Still no need for them to bog down the core for someone trying to run a low-fantasy campaign. (See also Campaign Setting Packs)

2. Prestige Classes - They really have always been optional, but I would like to see them again as an option in 5e.

Roleplaying and Flavor

1. Campaign Creation and Modification Rules

• Custom Race ability point buy (by NightErrant) - Allow a point buy system to make it easy to create your own odd races while keeping them balenced. He describes it in great depth in the post the title links to.

• Setting Guidelines and Creation tips - A set of tips and rules for creating a setting. I once saw a whole game with the point of creating a setting. Imagine doing that with your players and then playing it!

• Guidlines for creating classes

• Deities and Demigods (by Ralcos) - Along with source material as seen in the past rules for the creation of your own Gods, their avatars, etc. Explained in more depth in the linked post.

• Campaign Setting Specfic classes and races packs (by Aehrlon68) - A series of modules for each campaign setting that adds the races and classes specfic to that setting. In the Forgotten Realms all the different types of elves. In Eberron Warforged. In Dragonlance Black, Red, and White wizards schools. You get the idea. Essentially, a campaign setting ought to include this anyway, but this would probably be a players handbook verse the actual setting.

• FATE-like actions system (by shanelwalden) - Encourages descriptive play and effective nonattack combat actions. This can be done many ways, that used by FATE is but one example. DnD could do something similar by including an open-ended module that allows DMs to award action points whenever the PC does something descriptive and engaging. These action points could be a meta currency in the game. Maybe 5 action points can be spent to obtain advantage or an extra action. The exact exchange rate would need thorough testing and consideration.

• Weapon Breakage (by Plaguescarred) - Circumstances underwhich the weapon you are using breaks.

• Food and Drink - There have been many takes on this. In hardcore rules I would suggest falling abilities scores (fort saves prevents falls) at 0 con you die.

• Wounds (by Kestralb) - An already thought out and drawn out system for handling wounds that are to sevre to be heal by mundane means.

• Alignment (by pnxer) - A suggested alignment system that is an interesting mix up other systems. Even if you don't liek this one some alignment system really should be implemented for those who like such things to guide their character development.

• Allegiance (by DoctorNecrotic) - An alternative to Alignment based closer to poltical boundries and alignment.

• Critical Fumble and Hit tables (by Plaguescarred) - Presumably tables with random extra effects when you crit or roll a one. I have seen this implimented many was so I won't speculate on that is meant.

• Epic Rules and Guidelines (by CWBush83) - Rules and Guidlines for epic levels as well as the return of older Epic dungeons (CWBush83 list a few in his post in this thread).

• Feel free to add to or bash my ideas.

p.s. Keep in mind that the whole point of being modular is a 'give everyone what they want' approach. You can really throw in things from any edition or even other games you liked. Since people can take it out none of these ideas should really be inflamitory to anyone.

p.p.s. For sake of easy reference incase game designer ever read this I am adding posted ideas into this first post. I will give whoever came up with the idea credit.
    An Advanced Rule Module with:

Critical Fumble Rule

Critical Hit Table

Weapon Breakage Rule  

Yan
    Montréal, Canada
    @Plaguescarred on twitter

Modularity can work very well if they think it form the beginning. In the end of 2E they introduced Options and Powers, really changed the system, pointing to a new direction but it was somewhat compatible with the old books. If this is done now form the beginning I think it can be nice.

I would like to see modules being built form bottom to top, more or less for basic to 4E.

- Core rules as simple as basic D&D - main classes and races specific for the newcomers.

- module to add skills and feats

- module to add backgrounds and themes with specific talent trees associated with skills

- module to add Powers or maneuvers, whatever you call it. This module could convert vancian to non vancian system 

- module to add Tactics to the game (grids and miniatures)

Critical Fumble Rule

Critical Hit Table

Weapon Breakage Rule  

This, and crits should be double damage right form the core rules. Risky, but much more fun.

I approve with ALMOST everything said in this thread.  That's rare for me.  Keep it up!

Modularity can work very well if they think it form the beginning. In the end of 2E they introduced Options and Powers, really changed the system, pointing to a new direction but it was somewhat compatible with the old books. If this is done now form the beginning I think it can be nice.

I would like to see modules being built form bottom to top, more or less for basic to 4E.

- Core rules as simple as basic D&D - main classes and races specific for the newcomers.

- module to add backgrounds and themes with specific talent trees associated with skills

- module to add Powers or maneuvers, whatever you call it. This module could convert vancian to non vancian system 

Not adding this since it is the core and not a module but one would hope so to allow the modular nature to really show.

Added

Added

Kind of exists int he powers and role suggestion that is already in here.

Again already in here.

When I think of modules I tend to think of things like rules for ship to ship combats at sea, or mass combat rules, rules for henchmen, rules for travling the astral sea, rules for running a kingdom or a guild, seige warfare, rules for creating non-expendible magic items, and maybe advanced tactical rules (breaking obscured and cover into more gradations, making incedental actions count as swift actions, adding weapon speed modifires to initiative rolls, adding a threashold of pain saving thorw for if you take to much damage from one hit, crits and fumbles and spell mishap tables, more complex rules for grabling and un armored combat, rules for getting fatigued from to much fighting, moral rules, things like that). I also think a lot of tables such as random weather, random encounters, these kinds of things can be optional. 

basically, anything that is modular should be able to be added in or taken out of an ongoing campaign without really messing it up. Maybe the DM decides to use a random encounter table only while they party tries to find their way though a wilderness, and decides to use the advanced moral rules for those random monsters. BUt when it comes to delving into the cultists lair, all the monsters are fleshed out, and the Dm decides to role play if the cultist flee rather than use a random die roll.

This is sort of how I see modularity working in the game. I know that theme and background was supposed to be modular and, I think you probably could play the game withotu those on your character sheet if you wanted to. BUt they seem to cool, and are still pretty simple elements, that I can't imagen wanting to leave them out of the game. but I guess you could if you wanted to. 

Critical Fumble Rule

Critical Hit Table

Weapon Breakage Rule  

Critical Fumble Rule

Critical Hit Table

Both added under the same banner head.

Weapon Breakage Rule 

Added under a hardcore section.

When I think of modules I tend to think of things like rules for ship to ship combats at sea, or mass combat rules, rules for henchmen, rules for travling the astral sea, rules for running a kingdom or a guild, seige warfare, rules for creating non-expendible magic items, and maybe advanced tactical rules (breaking obscured and cover into more gradations, making incedental actions count as swift actions, adding weapon speed modifires to initiative rolls, adding a threashold of pain saving thorw for if you take to much damage from one hit, crits and fumbles and spell mishap tables, more complex rules for grabling and un armored combat, rules for getting fatigued from to much fighting, moral rules, things like that). I also think a lot of tables such as random weather, random encounters, these kinds of things can be optional. 

basically, anything that is modular should be able to be added in or taken out of an ongoing campaign without really messing it up. Maybe the DM decides to use a random encounter table only while they party tries to find their way though a wilderness, and decides to use the advanced moral rules for those random monsters. BUt when it comes to delving into the cultists lair, all the monsters are fleshed out, and the Dm decides to role play if the cultist flee rather than use a random die roll.

This is sort of how I see modularity working in the game. I know that theme and background was supposed to be modular and, I think you probably could play the game withotu those on your character sheet if you wanted to. BUt they seem to cool, and are still pretty simple elements, that I can't imagen wanting to leave them out of the game. but I guess you could if you wanted to. 

I think this is pretty much true. Also part of it is that I think modularity is really nothing new.

That said the RULES are really utterly modular. You can really take or leave any rule as you see fit. Changing from 3rd edition to 4e doesn't really effect my campaigns (except you know, that part where the players have to build new characters).

That is why I like this idea so much. While it does make the game super gishy, it also makes it exactly the game that works for you. It is wildly modular and assume flimsy core rules, but can literally leave every nerd raging person happy and with what they want (which as I understood the design goals was what they were trying to do as difficult as that sounds).
    Adding the Inflict Serious Wounds module by Kestralb. It is very very indepth so I won't attmpt to describe it here other than a wound system.
    Old school d6 group initiative (though not at the 1e level of insane detail).

I just can't bring myself to use the 3e individual initiative with tracking markers. 
    Old school d6 group initiative (though not at the 1e level of insane detail).

I just can't bring myself to use the 3e individual initiative with tracking markers. 

I never played before 3e so could you describe how that works for me? I will throw it up in the orignal post regardless but I want to make sure I get it right.
    Module support for hexmaps.
    Oh Content, where art thou?
    It's not the kind of module you're referring to, but I'd love to see 5th Ed/Next bring back the epic dungeon crawl or epic campaign. Stuff like Night Below, Rappan Athuk, World's Largest Dungeon (except, you know, not awful) and other such 1-20 campaigns that really created an interesting game experience.

Can't really recall many coming out for 3rd edition directly through WotC and don't know enough about 4th Ed to know it it ever happened there. 
    Module support for hexmaps.

Added under the grid support section as its own subsection.

It's not the kind of module you're referring to, but I'd love to see 5th Ed/Next bring back the epic dungeon crawl or epic campaign. Stuff like Night Below, Rappan Athuk, World's Largest Dungeon (except, you know, not awful) and other such 1-20 campaigns that really created an interesting game experience.

Can't really recall many coming out for 3rd edition directly through WotC and don't know enough about 4th Ed to know it it ever happened there. 

A module just for epic play would be agreat idea I think since so many people seem epicly afraid of it. Added.

A module for Action points I kinda liked them in 4th

Added!
    Mass combat

a. Boardgame style: The mass combat plays like a traditional boardgame. The player's characters participate in the boardgame as units. After the fight, they receive XP points.

b. Roleplaying style: The combat plays "like the movies". Specifically, the characters wander through the battlefield (with the rank and file fighting in the background) until they meet a villain and they square off. The results of the individual combat influence the outcome of the war.

Character Catch Up

a. Stolen from an appendix in Chaosiums' Cities supplement. Any player whose characters were not involved for several weeks of gaming time would roll on the table to "see what their character was doing while they were away". Results could include anything from starting a business to getting married, (though a full module would allow less random choices). Not only was this a practical idea for players who couldn't make game sessions, but it added character background and could also be "played" by itself!

Mass combat

a. Boardgame style: The mass combat plays like a traditional boardgame. The player's characters participate in the boardgame as units. After the fight, they receive XP points.

b. Roleplaying style: The combat plays "like the movies". Specifically, the characters wander through the battlefield (with the rank and file fighting in the background) until they meet a villain and they square off. The results of the individual combat influence the outcome of the war.

Character Catch Up

a. Stolen from an appendix in Chaosiums' Cities supplement. Any player whose characters were not involved for several weeks of gaming time would roll on the table to "see what their character was doing while they were away". Results could include anything from starting a business to getting married, (though a full module would allow less random choices). Not only was this a practical idea for players who couldn't make game sessions, but it added character background and could also be "played" by itself!

Added all these ideas.

Not that I'm crazy about the modular design concept - this is one thing I think 4th really got right: "Everything is Core". But here are my wants, nonetheless...

Mounted combat and its supremacy in open spaces.

Siege engine usage and complete, easy, one-page rules for mass combats.

Complete vehicle usage rules.

Rules for constructing and building fortifications and average incomes of commoners.
    Not that I'm crazy about the modular design concept - this is one thing I think 4th really got right: "Everything is Core". But here are my wants, nonetheless...

Mounted combat and its supremacy in open spaces.

Siege engine usage and complete, easy, one-page rules for mass combats.

Complete vehicle usage rules.

Rules for constructing and building fortifications and average incomes of commoners.

Yes, to all of these! Nice Arderkrag.
    I call for modules for sanity meter, Ravenloft style checks, and taint (I.E. Heroes of Horror rules for Corruption and Depravity).  These rules were missed in 4th ed. and I had to home rule them in with mixed results.  Besides, this would make running horror in D&D Next more fun!

EDIT:  Hmmm, no love for horror modules?

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
    • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
    • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Don't forget the D20 Modern style action points too.  And while on the subject, D20M style allegiance instead of alignment as an option.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Don't forget the D20 Modern style action points too.  And while on the subject, D20M style allegiance instead of alignment as an option.

Could you describe these system just a tad. I don't think i ever used allegiance instead of alignment. I will put them in regardless, but still. 
    Allegiance follows a more grey and subjective style.  It's more about who you serve and their morals behind that within our world.  It revolves around where you're from, what type of politics you follow, and your views on the world.  Kind of like alignment.  Sometimes it dips into alignment, but not so much.  For example, someone whose allegiance lies within being a dictator is probably evil.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
    Allegiance follows a more grey and subjective style.  It's more about who you serve and their morals behind that within our world.  It revolves around where you're from, what type of politics you follow, and your views on the world.  Kind of like alignment.  Sometimes it dips into alignment, but not so much.  For example, someone whose allegiance lies within being a dictator is probably evil.

Thanks. Added it with a more boiled down description.
    I would like to see better mechanics for Critical Hits; as they have it now it's weaksauce; it only does Max damage, which you can get (or very close to) without a critical hit. At the very least, add an additional damage die.

Like the Sneak Attack bonus every level as a player, worry it's too powerful as a DM; it may need toned down a little for balance. 

It may have already been said but want Attack of Opportunities and Flanking. 

We haven't seen the Ranger Class yet but I feel that they should get a bonus to hit chosen enemie AND a bigger bonus on damage.  Back in the days of AD&D, a Ranger used to get +1 Dmg per Level vs 'Giant Class Creatures'.  There was a very big list of baddies that you got this bonus on, later further expanded in the original Unearthed Arcana.

The auto-hit Magic Missile for the Wizard while nifty, arguably makes a lower level Wizard a more reliable damage dealer than any other character class... at least at low levels.  You can't miss; though the fighter ability of Reaper (under Slayer Theme) let you add your strength bonus on damage, even if you miss.  Unlikely that it will be more than 3-4 hit points, not bad, but also not ranged.

I kind of like the flatter progression of combat ability but would like to see more information about it. 

Armor needs to be fixed; lighter armors with a Dex bounus out-class the heavier armors, might need to be lowered. Plate Mail needs to give at least an 18 AC.  And maybe don't eliminate Dex bonus for heavier armors.  Medium armors grant only 1/2 of you Dex bonus to AC; that being the case, why would you ever bother paying more coin for an armor that's less protective than its cheaper counterpart??  Ringmail, Scale are the exact same AC value as Studded & Chain shirt respectively... except Ring and Scale give only 1/2 your Dex.  Unless there's some other benefit for the heaviers vs certain damage types (hints of more rules on that to come) then go with the lighter armor & fix the Medium armor.
    Oh, and please, for Pete's sake, support the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting hopefully before the Spellplague (but since some did like it, support both timelines, with or without it).
    Oh, and please, for Pete's sake, support the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting hopefully before the Spellplague (but since some did like it, support both timelines, with or without it).

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, this is about rules modules, not so much about settings.  But still, I kinda wish they could shove 4e Realms off to somewhere so it still exists, but other fans of the Realms don't have to worry about it anymore.  Not that I've ever payed attention to the "Returned Abeir" and the like.  I've ignored it throughout my time in 4E.  But destroying it would make so many fans of the new realms era angry and that's no good. (I realized my original tone was too harsh and biased)

Well, some Realms specific modules would be nice, I suppose.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, this is about rules modules, not so much about settings.  But still, I kinda wish they could shove 4e Shattered Realms off to somewhere so it still exists, but fans of the Realms don't have to worry about it anymore.  Not that I've ever payed attention to the "Returned Abeir campaign setting".  I've ignored it throughout my time in 4E.

Well, some Realms specific modules would be nice, I suppose. 

This pretty much sum this up. While I agree that it would be nice if we pretended the spellplague didn't happen it is hard to quantify that as a module.

What you could call a module is something like 'Races of Faerun' which offers slews of races. I think I will put 'Setting Specific Races and Classes' in the module section.

(As a side note since i know it had been mention I hated "everything is core" for this very reason. They used it to retcon races in Fearun into fitting core races that was totally contrary to lore and everything that should have been and inventing rather hokey reason to bring new races. The result was this horrible mess of distinct settings that really just annoyed everyone. This isn't the place for this really but I am weak. ) 

I am going to try to make your other ideas modules, though some of them are already covered. I will post a breakdown of how they went in and what was already there after.
    I would like to see better mechanics for Critical Hits; as they have it now it's weaksauce; it only does Max damage, which you can get (or very close to) without a critical hit. At the very least, add an additional damage die.

Going to say this is in there already under Critical Fumble and Hit tables.

Like the Sneak Attack bonus every level as a player, worry it's too powerful as a DM; it may need toned down a little for balance.  

Going to say this is in there already under the balenced combat rules section.

It may have already been said but want Attack of Opportunities and Flanking.  

This is in the grid-based combat section (operating under the assumption that core doesn't want to use grid since they are touting gridless play).

We haven't seen the Ranger Class yet but I feel that they should get a bonus to hit chosen enemie AND a bigger bonus on damage.  Back in the days of AD&D, a Ranger used to get +1 Dmg per Level vs 'Giant Class Creatures'.  There was a very big list of baddies that you got this bonus on, later further expanded in the original Unearthed Arcana.

Going to mostly reserve judgement on this as the ranger class doesn't yet exist. I am going to add non-core classes and split prestige class section though.

The auto-hit Magic Missile for the Wizard while nifty, arguably makes a lower level Wizard a more reliable damage dealer than any other character class... at least at low levels.  You can't miss; though the fighter ability of Reaper (under Slayer Theme) let you add your strength bonus on damage, even if you miss.  Unlikely that it will be more than 3-4 hit points, not bad, but also not ranged.

I kind of like the flatter progression of combat ability but would like to see more information about it.  

Again going to count this in the balenced play option. Honestly I imagine several modules addressing 'balence' differently.

Armor needs to be fixed; lighter armors with a Dex bounus out-class the heavier armors, might need to be lowered. Plate Mail needs to give at least an 18 AC.  And maybe don't eliminate Dex bonus for heavier armors.  Medium armors grant only 1/2 of you Dex bonus to AC; that being the case, why would you ever bother paying more coin for an armor that's less protective than its cheaper counterpart??  Ringmail, Scale are the exact same AC value as Studded & Chain shirt respectively... except Ring and Scale give only 1/2 your Dex.  Unless there's some other benefit for the heaviers vs certain damage types (hints of more rules on that to come) then go with the lighter armor & fix the Medium armor.

This is new. I will give an alternate armor class section. 
    I plan to create my own module that is very similar to the aspect system in FATE. Background and theme are already similar to aspects. I can see giving advantage to a player as long as they can justify an action as being related to their background/theme.

This module would also include a player/npc/monster's ability to impose an aspect on their opponent. These aspects would grant advantage or disadvantage as appropriate.

example #1 - The rogue throws a chair into the legs of a charging bugbear (nonattack action, dex check, does not inflict damage). Succeeding in this action gives the bugbear the aspect of "all tangled up." The fighter can then take advantage of the aspect to attack the bugbear with advantage, or the bugbears next action might have disadvantage.

example #2 - The bard lights off some flash powder in front of an enemy's face. (dex check, stage magic, no damage). The enemy has, "it's burning my retinas," as an aspect. This aspect can be used to give the enemy disadvantage or the bard advantage as appropriate.

example #3- The wizard is researching some esoteric fact and has a background akin to "cloistered academic." He can make a contacts/research check or something similar to reflect his discovery of a particular book covering the topic. He might temporarily have the aspect of "Horak's Treatise on the Mating Habits of Elder Wyrms." This aspect would grant him advantage when finally doing his research check. I like this because it reflects how the character can have a better chance of finding info if he does the footwork of tracking down the right book or source.

example #4- Seeing that his is outnumbered, the orc kicks the party's fighter in the balls. (dex or str, nonattack, no damage) This inflicts the aspect "wracked with pain," upon success. The orc can use advantage to run away, or make the fighter suffer disadvantage when he tries to attack.

example #5- The party is competing with a mercenary group for a contract to guard a caravan. The bard spins a wild tale to the caravan master about the misdeeds of the mercenary group (perform, cha). If successful he inflicts the aspect, "disgraced in their eyes," on the mercenary group.

These aspects would only be invokable once, which is to say you can only gain the benefit of them or your enemy suffer the penalty one time. I am also thinking that whoever inflicts the aspect gets to decide how it is used, whether it is a disadvantage or advantage.

I understand that this may make such things as the Rogue getting combat advantage easier. That can be addressed. In my mind this module isn't meant for players that are going to try and wring every minute tactical advantage out of every situation. This module is meant to encourage descriptive play and nonattack actions that are effective in combat.
    Help make Combat Mastery happen: If you like the idea of Combat Mastery, as outlined below, for fighters copy it onto your signature and add interesting combat maneuvers to the list. Two new examples could be throat punch or spit in eye. Combat Mastery: When a Fighter performs combat maneuvers such as bull rush, disarm, sunder, trip, hip toss, eye poke, ball kick, hair drag, blind with sand, slide down banister, swing on chandalier, walk on barrel, use enemy as shield, interpose self in front of arrow trying to kill wizard, intimidate, pick up kobold by the neck, etc, the minimum die result is 10. Fighter Combat Maneuvers: On a given round the fighter can bull rush, disarm, sunder, trip, hip toss, eye poke, ball kick, hair drag, blind with sand, slide down banister, swing on chandalier, walk on barrel, use enemy as shield, interpose self in front of arrow trying to kill wizard, intimidate, etc, in place of his/her move action. This is a nonattack action that might cause the fighter's opponent to be rendered prone, unarmed, blind for a round, etc, or otherwise grant the fighter advantage or his/her opponent disadvantage as the Fighter sees fit.
    @shanelwalden

I am trying to figure out how to include this in the list. It seems very much like a limited version of the powers presented by 4e. The background stuff had been throw in the list already as well.

If possible could you summarize the module in a short paragraph encapsulating the idea of your module (in a way that doesn't make it sound like power because I can see there is a difference I just can't quite put my finger on it) and a name for it?
    The ideas I posted are a straight rip the FATE system by Evil Hat Games.

As a proposal for a DnD Next module I would describe it as . . . .

A module that encourages descriptive play and effective nonattack combat actions. This can be done many ways, that used by FATE is but one example. DnD could do something similar by including an open-ended module that allows DMs to award action points whenever the PC does something descriptive and engaging. These action points could be a meta currency in the game. Maybe 5 action points can be spent to obtain advantage or an extra action. The exact exchange rate would need thorough testing and consideration.

Help make Combat Mastery happen: If you like the idea of Combat Mastery, as outlined below, for fighters copy it onto your signature and add interesting combat maneuvers to the list. Two new examples could be throat punch or spit in eye. Combat Mastery: When a Fighter performs combat maneuvers such as bull rush, disarm, sunder, trip, hip toss, eye poke, ball kick, hair drag, blind with sand, slide down banister, swing on chandalier, walk on barrel, use enemy as shield, interpose self in front of arrow trying to kill wizard, intimidate, pick up kobold by the neck, etc, the minimum die result is 10. Fighter Combat Maneuvers: On a given round the fighter can bull rush, disarm, sunder, trip, hip toss, eye poke, ball kick, hair drag, blind with sand, slide down banister, swing on chandalier, walk on barrel, use enemy as shield, interpose self in front of arrow trying to kill wizard, intimidate, etc, in place of his/her move action. This is a nonattack action that might cause the fighter's opponent to be rendered prone, unarmed, blind for a round, etc, or otherwise grant the fighter advantage or his/her opponent disadvantage as the Fighter sees fit.
    Alternate rest and natural healing systems:

• Alternative uses of Next's Hit Dice - max die, average die, weighted average die (1d6 becomes 1d4+2, etc.)

• Natural healing - 1e (1 hp per day), 3e (1 hp per level per day), 4e (return to max hp with one rest) 

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Alternate rest and natural healing systems:

Added.
    The ideas I posted are a straight rip the FATE system by Evil Hat Games.

As a proposal for a DnD Next module I would describe it as . . . .

A module that encourages descriptive play and effective nonattack combat actions. This can be done many ways, that used by FATE is but one example. DnD could do something similar by including an open-ended module that allows DMs to award action points whenever the PC does something descriptive and engaging. These action points could be a meta currency in the game. Maybe 5 action points can be spent to obtain advantage or an extra action. The exact exchange rate would need thorough testing and consideration.

Okay. I had envisioned thing wizards might do. Ripping off another game is... dangerous, but I am doing to throw this on the list anyway because you are going to house rule it and even if it isn't something wizards could do it is still an interesting idea (I like it).

p.s. Tomrrow. I am dead tired. 
    FATE system added.
    Another thread made me think of this, but this is where it really belongs. 

We need a module that gives the fighter Combat Mastery. Exactly like the rogue's Skill Mastery except it applies to combat maneuvers like trip, sunder, disarm and the like.

Another thread made me think of this, but this is where it really belongs. 

We need a module that gives the fighter Combat Mastery. Exactly like the rogue's Skill Mastery except it applies to combat maneuvers like trip, sunder, disarm and the like.

Added.
    Multiclass/dual class modules

• Dabbler - equivalent of taking a level or 2 -not sure how to do it and keep it balanced maube with appropriate themes?  This is actually what a lot of 4e multiclassing is imo.

• Dual classing- stop advancing as a Fighter and start as a rogue or vice versa.

• 1st/2nd edition multiclass Split xp to get character power level for things like wizard and cleric spells or sneak attack die.  Theme abilities and HP would be based on Character level not class level so a F/M-U may have 10 hitdice that are the average of a d10 and a d4 but would have the powers of say a 7th level fighter and a 7th level  Mage.  this would need to be chosen at character creation.

• Prestige classes with pre-requisites built in might work like Dual classing above.  Some of these prestige classes may require previous multiclassing such as a bladesinger may require a multiclass F/M-U as described above of at least level 5 (character level) to join at which point the character stops advancing as a F/M-U and starts as a bladesinger (maybe even waiting until they get enough exp in each class to get some extra abilities.

• Multclassing should not be hands down better or worse than singleclassing and it needs to have more structure than was in 3.x and for many it needs to FEEL more like multiclassing than just dabbling (like 4e did to many)