Deck help

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone this is the deck idea just not sure how to build it.  I'm wanting to make a flicker deck, with the ability to pull Avacyn or Griselbrand 3-4th turn.  Problem is I have no idea where to start this.
What does flickering have to do with getting Avacyn or Griselbrand out 3 turns early?
I agree with MrIndigo, how does flicker heelp getting Avacyn or Griselbrand out?
On the 3rd or 4th turn, the only ways you can get Avacyn/ Griselbrand out by then are..
1. Ramp (if you're lucky)
2. Unburial Rites

I believe he messed up Flicker and Reanimate.

try FRites:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
92195628 wrote:
I just heard the distinct noise of a lone guitar string breaking, somewhere off in the distance.
So there is the deck that I was thinking of.  Yeah you are all right flickering and having the baddies hit turn 4-5 is different.  For modern my friend made a deck called Elf Ball, which is really cool.  So I was taking a look at the standard format and thought you could do that with Humans.  So here is my take on it, now it will grow, but for right now this is what I have.  To be honest I don't like frites.

Lands
Rootbound Crag x4
Hinterland Harbor x4
Cavern of Souls x3
Swamp x1
Island x4
Forest x4

Creatures and Spells
Avaycn, Angel of Hope x1 (I'm thinking of keeping at least one more)
Griselbrand x1 (having 4 of in the deck is a must of)
Urabrask the Hidden x1
Daybreak Ranger x1
Hero of Oxid Ridge x2
Zealous Conscripts x2
Captain of the Mists x4
Borderland Ranger x2
Somberwald Sage x4
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4
Birds of Paradise x4
Village Bell-Ringer x3 (card is pretty cool)              
Mass Appeal x4
Blue Sun's Zenith x1
Abundant Growth x3 (I think there should be a 4 of)
Lair Delve x3    

The deck is pretty cool, I mean a third/forth turn Avaycn or Griselbrand is pretty cool.  What do you guys think?  Is it possible to put in Unbrial Rites, and have faithless looting?  Would that be something to run in the deck?
So there is the deck that I was thinking of.  Yeah you are all right flickering and having the baddies hit turn 4-5 is different.  For modern my friend made a deck called Elf Ball, which is really cool.  So I was taking a look at the standard format and thought you could do that with Humans.  So here is my take on it, now it will grow, but for right now this is what I have.  To be honest I don't like frites.

Lands
Rootbound Crag x4
Hinterland Harbor x4
Cavern of Souls x3
Swamp x1
Island x4
Forest x4

Creatures and Spells
Avaycn, Angel of Hope x1 (I'm thinking of keeping at least one more)
Griselbrand x1 (having 4 of in the deck is a must of)
Urabrask the Hidden x1
Daybreak Ranger x1
Hero of Oxid Ridge x2
Zealous Conscripts x2
Captain of the Mists x4
Borderland Ranger x2
Somberwald Sage x4
Avacyn's Pilgrim x4
Birds of Paradise x4
Village Bell-Ringer x3 (card is pretty cool)              
Mass Appeal x4
Blue Sun's Zenith x1
Abundant Growth x3 (I think there should be a 4 of)
Lair Delve x3    

The deck is pretty cool, I mean a third/forth turn Avaycn or Griselbrand is pretty cool.  What do you guys think?  Is it possible to put in Unbrial Rites, and have faithless looting?  Would that be something to run in the deck?

I don't think you know what ElfBall is; Elf-Ball is a deck that relies on cheap mana-producing creatures like Llanowar Elves to quickly get a lot of mana and kill the enemy with a Fireball.

The cards in your list don't synergise; Hero of Oxid Ridge and a reanimation subtheme are at cross purposes. You have no way to actually set up your reanimation in the first place. Your untap effects are expensive, especially the Captain of the Mists, and won't be capable

You are not going to be able to play five-colours. FRITES is a five-colour reanimator deck, and the manabase is very delicately balanced. In order to be consistent enough to play, it needs nearly 20 dual lands. You have 8.

You really need to sit down and decide what you want your deck to do, and how to do it within your means. Do you want to assemble a giant Fireball with mana creatures and untap effects? Do you want to play an aggressive deck that curves into Hero? Do you want to reanimate fat bombs on the early turns?

If you're on a tight budget (i.e. can't get all the duals you will require), you're not going to be able to go into three or more colours, you'll be limited to two (possibly scraping a third if one is green).
Well the Elf Ball deck my friend built is basiclly ramping into one of the Eldraz's.  So what I thought would be cool is if you could early game ramp up to Griselbrand or Avaycn.  I know your not trying to insult me or anything so I'm not taking that way.  I really want this deck idea to work.  The one idea was to ramp up to 8 different bombs.  I know that he deck is all over the place, that is why I thought I would throw it up here.  I'm wanting to use the colors:Green, Blue.  Green is for the ramp, and blue would normally be for the counter spells.  Except I'm trying not to go for a counter aspect.  I'm not wanting to use blue for the counter spells but for the draw aspect.  Having the Avaycn's Pilgrams and sages are good for the ramp.  Not sure if I want to keep the Birds of Paradise.  I don't see captain of the mist as a bad card, I mean it does have its place in the deck, and in play testing I use it more than just for my creatures, but for my oppents.  Being able to untap my sages, to drop a griselbrand is pretty nice as well.  But your right I want more synergy.  I'm not worried about duel lands, mainly because I can get those when I need them.  So those are the last things I need to worry about.  Because if I get the wrong duel lands its a waste of money.   You know?  I know that I want to be able to drop Griselbrand or Avaycn on turn 3 or 4 which would be awesome.  That should be the only goal of the deck.  I'm thinking of making this block instead of using anything for the past set.
Without reanimating Grizelbrand and Avacyn you wull not be able to get them on turn 3 or 4. Plus, if you want to run Green and Blue, Why would you want white and black creatures that you can't cast anyways? If you want giant creatures on turn 3 or 4 within your two colors then you should be looking at Wolfir Silverheart. He would fit in better with your colors and if you have two mana crwatures out on turn 3 and three land on the table you will be able to cast him. Then one mana dork becomes a 5/5 and the wolfir silverheart becomes an 8/8. Now that would be impressive.
This deck can turn 4 hard cast griselbrand or avaycn.  I'm not really looking to reanimate but use mana dorks to ramp up and cast a big creature by turn 3 or 4.  sorry edited for spelling errors.  The main idea for the deck is too use human mana dorks to cast big creatures.
This deck can turn 4 hard cast griselbrand or avaycn.  I'm not really looking to reanimate but use mana dorks to ramp up and cast a big creature by turn 3 or 4.  sorry edited for spelling errors.  The main idea for the deck is too use human mana dorks to cast big creatures.

Your biggest problem here is that you are too dependent on mana dorks. What happens when they get killed? A dead mana dork will set you back significantly. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
I think what you want is a deck like this:

// Lands
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
4 [SOM] Copperline Gorge
2 [SOM] Darkslick Shores
6 [MBS] Forest (1)
1 [BRB] Plains (7)
4 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
1 [M10] Rootbound Crag
1 [M11] Sunpetal Grove

// Creatures
4 [b] Birds of Paradise
2 [AVR] Somberwald Sage
3 [INN] Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 [AVR] Griselbrand
1 [AVR] Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
4 [DKA] Faithless Looting
4 [DKA] Tracker's Instincts
4 [SH] Mulch
4 [INN] Unburial Rites
4 [DKA] Lingering Souls

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [AVR] Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
SB: 4 [DKA] Strangleroot Geist
SB: 2 [MBS] Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
SB: 2 [TSP] Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 [DKA] Ray of Revelation

I don't have Avacyn in there, because frankly she's not that good; Elesh Norn is the best card you can reanimate in this format. Not in this list, but could be included over 1 Elesh Norn, or Sirgarda, or Wurmcoil: Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Inferno Titan.

Against U/x Control decks (i.e. the ones with lots of counterspells, removal, and Entreat the Angels), your SB plan is to take out 3 Unburial Rites, Griselbrand, 3 Elesh Norn, 4 Mulch (12 cards); and put in 4 Strangleroot Geist, 2 Thrun, 3 Phyrexian Metamorph, 1 Wurmcoil Engine, 1 Sigarda.

Your reanimation plan is too weak against their counterspells, so you transform into a G/x Aggro deck and just beat them up normally.

Ancient Grudge comes in against Equipment, Tempered Steel, Architect, or other artifact-based decks.

Ray of Revelation comes in against White Weenie and token decks to destroy their anthems. 
That is a pretty cool idea, but instead of elish could infrono be used in block?
So here is an update on the deck. I'm wanting to add 2x images and not sure what to take out. I'm not worry about the mana at this point.

25 lands
2 borderland ranger
4 deadeye navigator
2 precursor golem
1 myr battle sphere
3 frost titan
2 zealous conscripts
3 somberwald sage
3 sphere of the suns
3 ghostly flicker
3 ponder
3 talisman
2 venser
1 spine of ish sah
3 ichor
So here is an update on the deck. I'm wanting to add 2x images and not sure what to take out. I'm not worry about the mana at this point.

25 lands
2 borderland ranger
4 deadeye navigator
2 precursor golem
1 myr battle sphere
3 frost titan
2 zealous conscripts
3 somberwald sage
3 sphere of the suns
3 ghostly flicker
3 ponder
3 talisman
2 venser
1 spine of ish sah
3 ichor wellspring

I hope to get some good feed back. I'm trying to find ways to stall the deck and to make it worth playing at an fnm
Sign In to post comments