Stolen equipment

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a creature that has equipment on it is stolen, where does the equipment go when that creature dies?
If a creature that has equipment on it is stolen, where does the equipment go when that creature dies?

unless the card stealing the creature explicitly states otherwise, the equipment remains in the control of the player who cast them and are bounced off the creature. I'm pretty sure this situation has the same result if you steal the equipment itself; it pops off the creature.
What happens to the equipment? Exactly the same thing that would have happened to it if the creature wasn't stolen--it remains on the battlefield under the control of whoever had control of it before.

When a creature is stolen, the equipment on it remains attached to it, but the Equipment is still controlled by whoever controlled it before--taking the creature doesn't give you control of the Equipment.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Thanks Knight

unless the card stealing the creature explicitly states otherwise, the equipment remains in the control of the player who cast them and are bounced off the creature. I'm pretty sure this situation has the same result if you steal the equipment itself; it pops off the creature.

This is not true. Stealing a creature does not remove the Equipment attached to it. (And stealing Equipment doesn't remove it from whatever it's attached to.)

301.5b An Equipment is cast and enters the battlefield just like any other artifact. An Equipment doesn't enter the battlefield attached to a creature. The equip keyword ability attaches the Equipment to a creature you control (see rule 702.6, "Equip"). Control of the creature matters only when the equip ability is activated and when it resolves. Spells and other abilities may also attach an Equipment to a creature. If an effect attempts to attach an Equipment to an object that can't be equipped by it, the Equipment doesn't move.

301.5d An Equipment's controller is separate from the equipped creature's controller; the two need not be the same. Changing control of the creature doesn't change control of the Equipment, and vice versa. Only the Equipment's controller can activate its abilities. However, if the Equipment grants an ability to the equipped creature (with "gains" or "has"), the equipped creature's controller is the only one who can activate that ability.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

This is not true. Stealing a creature does not remove the Equipment attached to it. (And stealing Equipment doesn't remove it from whatever it's attached to.)

301.5b An Equipment is cast and enters the battlefield just like any other artifact. An Equipment doesn't enter the battlefield attached to a creature. The equip keyword ability attaches the Equipment to a creature you control (see rule 702.6, "Equip"). Control of the creature matters only when the equip ability is activated and when it resolves. Spells and other abilities may also attach an Equipment to a creature. If an effect attempts to attach an Equipment to an object that can't be equipped by it, the Equipment doesn't move.

301.5d An Equipment's controller is separate from the equipped creature's controller; the two need not be the same. Changing control of the creature doesn't change control of the Equipment, and vice versa. Only the Equipment's controller can activate its abilities. However, if the Equipment grants an ability to the equipped creature (with "gains" or "has"), the equipped creature's controller is the only one who can activate that ability.

That I did not know, thanks for clarifying, and I apologize for the misinformation. Did this change at some point, or was this always how it had worked? The group I play with tends to lapse behind rule changes on occasion (platinum emperion had been a regular bone of contention for us until we actually looked it up), so my understanding was that the equipments' effect, let alone being equipped, doesnt follow the creature. Whether that was an actual rule or not I cannot remember. It does remind me to check the rules if I'm not entirely sure though.
So, if an equipped creature is stolen and then dies, does the equipment go back to its controller or to the creature stealer?
The equipment would go back to its controller.
The equipment would go back to its controller.

This is correct, but only because the control of equipment never changed in the first place (see the second rules section zammm quoted).
That I did not know, thanks for clarifying, and I apologize for the misinformation. Did this change at some point, or was this always how it had worked?

Equipment was added with the release of Mirrodin.
_Mirrodin_(TM) Frequently Asked Questions
Compiled by Paul Barclay, David DeLaney, and Jeff Jordan

GENERAL NOTES

Equipment

Artifacts that have the subtype "Equipment" are a special kind of artifact. Generally, an Equipment doesn't do anything unless it's attached to a creature.

Equipment works in much the same way as local enchantments, but there are some important differences. The biggest differences are (1) an Equipment doesn't equip anything when it comes into play, and (2) an Equipment stays in play when the creature it's equipping leaves play.

The official rules for Equipment are as follows:

212.2h An Equipment is played and comes into play just like any other artifact. An Equipment doesn't come into play attached to a creature. The equip keyword ability moves the Equipment onto a creature you control (see rule 502.33, "Equip"). Control of the creature matters only when the equip ability is played and resolved.

212.2k An Equipment's controller is separate from the equipped creature's controller; the two need not be the same. Changing control of the creature doesn't change control of the Equipment, and vice versa. Only the Equipment's controller can play its abilities. However, if the Equipment adds an ability to the equipped creature (with "gains" or "has"), the equipped creature's controller is the only one who can play that ability.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Thanks Argus. now that I think about it, it was probably a faulty logic jump that if you can only equip to creatures you control, if you lose control of the creature the equipment then pops off on its own. It was one of those things that made sense enough that it didnt warrant double-checking.
Sign In to post comments