Highly optimistic and happy with the new system

Just reading over the packet has filled me with much joy and excitment.  I will be running it for my group next week so no actually playtesting as of yet.  I will provide my post game feed back when i get to that point. 
I am excited for the openess and the lack of needless structure and rules.  I love the empahsis on story and roleplaying, and the freedom these rules seem to provide.  I like the fact that the DM is given the abilty to say make rules descions on the fly and not feel obligated to find a printed DC and rule.  All in all i am very happy with the base system, i would buy and run this now, well with the necassary parts fleshed out like characters past level 3  

Things I like and am excited to see in use:
1.  The Advantage Disadvantage system.  I am very glad to see a shift away from oppunrtunity attacks.  I like the ease of saying you ar at an advantage.
2.  The new saving throws.  I like that all of the ability scores now play a part in saving the charcters lives.
3.  The spell system.  I love the at will cantrips and they are not just some silly spell, but actually a spell that is productive to caster.
     A.  I like that rituals have been linked up to certain spells.  Casters no longer need to fill up on utility spells that they may or may not use in a day. 
4.  Backgrounds and themes.  I am excited to see were these go and the oppurtunities they will provide.  Just thinking that a fighter can gain minor  spells made me very happy.  
5. That turn undead is a spontaneous spell and is very straightforward and easy to use still.
6. That the grid and minis are not mandatory.

Things i am not happy with.
1.  That humans have no racial abilities. That was one of the things i liked about 4E was that humans got quite a few extras.  I would like to see something a little more than just and extra feat and skill. Something ability that makes them stand out as something other than the most populace race.
2. That dwarves still only have lowlight vision.  Give dwarves back darkvision please.
3. That a full rest heals all hit points.  That was something that always cheesed me off with 4E.  It really took the danger out of dungeon crawl.  "Oh lets go to bed and we will be magically healed by morning."  Something more along the lines of rolling your hit dice and healing that much in a night.  or healing up to certain levels every night.  like one rest heals you up to the nereset quarter of your HP total, even even to the half way mark.
4. The name DnD Next.  Please do not name it this.  i have noe other alternatives to provide mind you, i just don't like the sound of DnD Next.
I agree with most of what you said here. As for humans, I believe instead of any special abilities what they get is a +1 bonus to all six ability scores. I like that a lot. Dwarves can see in the dark now because low-light vision now lets you see in darkness as if you were in low-light conditions. Not sure how I feel about that one. And the name D&D Next is definitely a title for the playtest version of the game only. Other than that, I agree with everything you said.
Thanks for pointing out the new lowlight vision.  I just assumed it was like previous lowlight.  I can accept seeing in darkness as it is shadowy.  I just loved playing half-orcs and dwarves because i never had to buy torches.  It was always so convenient.
OMG I'm not alone! And no, I'm not worried about not seeing "combat powers" for non-casters, because there will be enough to make intresting characters. Same with the "improvisational" rules: please, give me versatile, flexible and solid rules, and not "press taht button" ones.
Just reading over the packet has filled me with much joy and excitment.  I will be running it for my group next week so no actually playtesting as of yet.  I will provide my post game feed back when i get to that point. 
I am excited for the openess and the lack of needless structure and rules.  I love the empahsis on story and roleplaying, and the freedom these rules seem to provide.  I like the fact that the DM is given the abilty to say make rules descions on the fly and not feel obligated to find a printed DC and rule.  All in all i am very happy with the base system, i would buy and run this now, well with the necassary parts fleshed out like characters past level 3  

Things I like and am excited to see in use:
1.  The Advantage Disadvantage system.  I am very glad to see a shift away from oppunrtunity attacks.  I like the ease of saying you ar at an advantage.
2.  The new saving throws.  I like that all of the ability scores now play a part in saving the charcters lives.
3.  The spell system.  I love the at will cantrips and they are not just some silly spell, but actually a spell that is productive to caster.
     A.  I like that rituals have been linked up to certain spells.  Casters no longer need to fill up on utility spells that they may or may not use in a day. 
4.  Backgrounds and themes.  I am excited to see were these go and the oppurtunities they will provide.  Just thinking that a fighter can gain minor  spells made me very happy.  
5. That turn undead is a spontaneous spell and is very straightforward and easy to use still.
6. That the grid and minis are not mandatory.

Things i am not happy with.
1.  That humans have no racial abilities. That was one of the things i liked about 4E was that humans got quite a few extras.  I would like to see something a little more than just and extra feat and skill. Something ability that makes them stand out as something other than the most populace race.
2. That dwarves still only have lowlight vision.  Give dwarves back darkvision please.
3. That a full rest heals all hit points.  That was something that always cheesed me off with 4E.  It really took the danger out of dungeon crawl.  "Oh lets go to bed and we will be magically healed by morning."  Something more along the lines of rolling your hit dice and healing that much in a night.  or healing up to certain levels every night.  like one rest heals you up to the nereset quarter of your HP total, even even to the half way mark.
4. The name DnD Next.  Please do not name it this.  i have noe other alternatives to provide mind you, i just don't like the sound of DnD Next.

Pretty much this! I really like how things look right now. I would like to see a few tweaks however.

Wizards at-will damage spells seem kind of weak. If a wizard can pick up an improvised weapon and do more damage than his magic, it isn't powerful enough. The material components looks cool but this seems like bean counting trying to keep track of all spells worth of components. Making sure you have the right ones and such. A good alternative to this might be to have a coin amount of material assigned to your spell component pouch and when you use a spell that uses up a component assume the caster has the component and subtract it's value from the total.

Fighters need more things to do. All the other class have interesting thing to do and the fighters character sheet seems bare. I'm not saying anime powers or anything but a few tricks would be nice. I know a lot of combat options can be cover with on the fly rulings with the current rules but a stunt mechanic might be cool... Think Dragon Age.

I really like the Advantage/ Disadvantage system. Keeping the +/- rules to a minimum is awesome. Less bean counting the better.

I like how rituals are handled. I would like to see an overcasting mechanic for spell casters much like the one D20 Wheel of Time game for One Power Channelers. Maybe at the cost of HP or something.
Yeah, basically I'm pretty happy with D&D Next as it is now. The only concern I have is that I'd like to see options for having less hp (mostly to help convince my players, since I know I could do it anyways).
Yeah, basically I'm pretty happy with D&D Next as it is now. The only concern I have is that I'd like to see options for having less hp (mostly to help convince my players, since I know I could do it anyways).

The wizards really can't get much less HP. They only have like 4.
A d4 hit dice, yes, but that works out to 16 actual hp for the pregen.
I'd have to say overall I am pleased as well with the playtest documents.  My biggest likes are the advantage/disadvantage system, which simplifies a lot of things, and the more 'open feel' the whole game gives off.  My biggest dislike is the whole healing aspect which seems over powered but maybe once I run my playtest on Tuesday I'll form a different opinion (doubtful though).  Also, while I like Backgrounds I'm not yet sold on Themes; however, I will reserve my final verdict on them when the character creation playtest comes out. 

I would be interested in seeing options instead of hard-fast rules.

For example, with hit points I could see a couple of options given:
1. A take-dice-and-roll option.
2. A standardized and low number for gritty campaigns.
3. A standardized and medium number for heroic campaigns.

I think that 1d4 has always been too low for a first level magic-user, for example, but think that 16 hp seems kind of large for my style games as well.

So, for the magic-user it could look like this:
1. Roll 2d4 for hit points. (I picked 2 as a starting point, but it could be otherwise.)
2. Start with 5 hit points plus CON modifier. (5 hp corresponds to the statistical average for 2d4.)
3. Start with 8 hit points plus CON modifier. (8 hp corresponds to the maximum for 2d4.)

So this would give a standard powered character which could be random, average, or maxed out. The DM would decide what kind of campaign he wants to run and the players would then create characters to fit that model.

Just an idea.
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
Mike Mearls even said, i can't remember what interview it was in, that the HP points are pourposely high for PCs and low for Monsters.  They just put them that like that for the playtest.  I personally like how the hit points are right now.  Base con and then random die roll.  I love wizards but i hate the patheticly low hit points at first level.  There is being squishy and then there is you fall and trip and die, yes i know it is an exageration. The player characters are Heroes and should be able to take a beating.  Becasue the 16 HP for the wizards really is not that much. that is only a couple well placed blows till death.
A d4 hit dice, yes, but that works out to 16 actual hp for the pregen.

An average roll for a D4 is 2.5 which puts the average wizard aroung 10 hit points. Still pretty low.
That's still pretty high to me. I see nothing wrong with wizards having as low as roll on the die + Con mod hp. Different strokes for different folks though, that's why I want the actual rulebooks to present multiple options.
Hit points are calculated as (full constitution)+(medium hit dice).
Pregens all have high con, so good hps, that's all.
So a wizard only gains 2 hps/level, not that many.
I prefer this to the old 1d4+con modifier at each level because players survive better at the beginning and don't grow too fast, but that's just my feeling to it.

Hit points are calculated as (full constitution)+(medium hit dice).
Pregens all have high con, so good hps, that's all.
So a wizard only gains 2 hps/level, not that many.
I prefer this to the old 1d4+con modifier at each level because players survive better at the beginning and don't grow too fast, but that's just my feeling to it.

At first I misread the healing rules and played it as all healing is done through spending hit dice and you only regained those hit dice to spend again after a full rest. So even if you got a full nights sleep you probably wouldn't get back all of your hit points the next day. I'm going to stick with this because I'm also not a big fan of healing from 4e.
Just want to say that I'm really happy and excited with the basic new system, the advantage/disadvantage system (me too I don't want opportunity attacks), and the importance of the abilities on checks and saving throws.
Also love backgrounds and themes.
That said I think that the math of abilities and checks should be rethinked again, and some spells are broken.
And I don't understand this return to daily powers (for me all abilities should be at-encounter).
But this is said after just a reading, I'll test the game tomorrow and then I'll know more.