Gamerevolution

TouchArcade

Vandal

@Jizzon, @Hovercraft78, @Rifraf

Thanks for the contribution.

These are all the relevant screenshots with new cards:

Nice find!
Also, Biorhythm.. Really?!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm a little more interested in that aggro-y white deck, which might have a loose soldier tribal subtheme to it (or just Human). I think that's Oblivion Ring right under the Plane card, which is what excites me most, but I also think that's Master Decoy and unless that's being reprinted in M13, I'd figured they'd choose Blinding Mage instead.

Other interesting cards:
Nightguard Patrol
Geist-Honored Monk (I like this one)
Turn the Tables (I love white card art with this stand out blue color, reminds me of Conqueror's Pledge)
Honor of the Pure
Accorder Paladin (known from other screenshots though)

and a few others I can't quite make out (new legendary with first strike?) and I wonder if that other 8/8 is new or not. It looks familiar.

EDIT: I don't know my cards I guess. I was close, but the other 8/8 creature that I thought I knew isn't it. I was thinking of Benalish Commander. Close, but not quite.
I see Goliath Sphinx in the blue deck. And... Fog Bank? Crazy...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I see Goliath Sphinx in the blue deck. And... Fog Bank? Crazy...

I thought that might have been a more aggressive blue deck too, but with these kind of cards, and the Kraken Hatchling, I'm not so sure. It's driving me crazy we've only seen a ton of Garruk's deck so far, especially since his deck looks better and better upon each additional card we know. Can't wait to get more information on the other decks.
The "Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013" folder on the Gathering Magic Facebook page has pics with new spoilers as well:

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101509...
Is that the protection from blue symbol on the goblin's side of the board for that one picture? Goblin Piledriver?
Nice find! New cards on the pics:

Pack Instinct:
[C]Avenger of Zendikar[/C] :O
[C]Biorhythm[/C]
[C]Verdant Force[/C]
4x[C]Nature's Lore[/C]
a big thing - can't remember the name anymore. It's between Vorapede and the Avenger.
[C]Fangren Firstborn[/C]
[C]Epic Proportions[/C]
a card with calabashes

Mono White:
We meet again [C]Loxodon Warhammer[/C]

Okay, now it's official. Garruk's deck is absolutely crazy. It's much fast (4x[C]Nature's Lore[/C] and [C]Emerald Medallion[/C]), has creature, artifact and enchantment removal, an aggressive early game and tons of brutal finishers. I love it.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Is that the protection from blue symbol on the goblin's side of the board for that one picture? Goblin Piledriver?

Yes it does look like piledriver. Finally my favourite goblin card is in the game!!!
There's Incremental Growth in screenshots aswell.
I also think I see Primalcrux, which is neat, especially alongside cards like Khalni Hydra.
I also think I see Primalcrux, which is neat, especially alongside cards like Khalni Hydra.

Curious, but how would the official rules clarify an interaction between a reduced cost Hydra and Primalcrux; or is the cost static once it enters the battlefield?

Curious, but how would the official rules clarify an interaction between a reduced cost Hydra and Primalcrux; or is the cost static once it enters the battlefield?

Khalni Hydra's converted mana cost never changes, it'll always be the 8 green mana symbols. The game just sees that you have to pay X :G: less based on the number of green creatures you control. So the game will probably reduce the number of symbols shown to make the visual representation easier to understand, but should revert back to normal when on the battlefield.

It just like if Dragon's Roar has Dragonspeaker Shaman or Ruby Medallion out, casting Furnace Whelp cheaper and an opponent using Aether Mutation next turn on the Whelp to get four saprolings. Whelp's casting cost attribute was always a converted cost of 4, it was just reduced upon casting because of another card.
Indeed. Also noteworthy is that the Hydra is likely to cost very little if Primalcrux is on the field already (meaning 6 forests in play, which means probably lots of creautres), and suddenly the latter is 14+/14+ Trample.
I thought this was interesting: www.examiner.com/article/why-duels-of-th...
I wonder what the iPad multiplayer lobby will be like?  360/PS3/Steam already provide an API for most of the multiplayer stuff -- leaderboards, friends list, connecting, etc, so I imagine they have to do a chunk of the iPad version from scratch.  Add to that the increased possibility of network access fluctuation due to roaming and the fact that most iPad owners buy very casual games, and I wonder if it'll be populated and stable despite the large amount of hardware units out there.

The link to the interview with brand manger Adam Dixon was interesting, I like the bit where he says R&D do extensive playtesting with DLC to ensure no deck is overpowered lol guess they forgot about Beknighted.

He says there is going to be more story elements in D13 which could be cool, the previous Duels didn't feel like they had any kind of story at all. He also says that there will be alot of DLC for D13 which is good, I wonder if that means Deck Packs like they did with D12 or cards "booster" packs for each deck, or maybe a mixture of both like the expansions from the 1st Duels.
You know that iPad info made me come to a realization. Wizards will effectively increase their DOTP market by possibly double or more at launch and much more over its lifespan. To me this means tighter quality control with far less or no bugs, and far fewer or no syncing issues. And when they generate extra income, which they will, I bet they will better justify patches to fix any ongoing issues.
I thought this was interesting: www.examiner.com/article/why-duels-of-th...

That's a weird article.  Almost comes off as a paid advertisement.  The part about the visuals is especially funny, treating display resolution and texture resolution as the same thing.  Cards are rendered at a lower res on the console versions than on the PC version for performance reasons, and I don't see an iPad doing any better.

The link to the interview with brand manger Adam Dixon was interesting, I like the bit where he says R&D do extensive playtesting with DLC to ensure no deck is overpowered lol guess they forgot about Beknighted.

I firmly believe Beknighted is deliberately overpowered to make the last DLC more appealing, just like they did with the last expansion for '09 with Master of Shadows, and I'll be genuinely surprised if they don't do it with the last DLC for 2013.

I firmly believe Beknighted is deliberately overpowered to make the last DLC more appealing, just like they did with the last expansion for '09 with Master of Shadows, and I'll be genuinely surprised if they don't do it with the last DLC for 2013.

I think its more along the lines to piss people off so they get sick of the game and want to move on to the next.  Personally all it really does is make ppl annoyed that we have to put up playing against decks like this for the many months until the new game comes out.
 In an interview with "Magic: The Gathering" brand manager Adam Dixon, Wizards of the Coast has confirmed that there will be plenty of DLC for “Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013.”

This is good news
 In an interview with "Magic: The Gathering" brand manager Adam Dixon, Wizards of the Coast has confirmed that there will be plenty of DLC for “Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013.”

This is good news

just cuz they say theres going to be a lot of DLC, it doesnt mean its going to be good dlc lol.  they might give decks that unbalance the game by being overpowered
Technically every foil conversion kit and full deck unlock could be considered DLC. Theres 20 right there at release.

This is good news

just cuz they say theres going to be a lot of DLC, it doesnt mean its going to be good dlc lol.  they might give decks that unbalance the game by being overpowered

Hopefully we won't face another Beknighted fiasco, but on an early post someone mentioned that the developers are very concerned in this topic, so hopefully we wont have any overpowered deck.
a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/...

Definitely a way for one of the Blue decks to make a copy of a creature. I wish its Phantasmal Image but I don't see illusion in the subtype of the card or the ability its supposed to have. Can't be Image.

Cackling Counterpart would also be respectable, but wouldnt be usable in this case since it has to be something you control to work, unless he used it on a Mind Controlled creature for some reason.

Maybe Clone?
Probably, Clone feels like a classic core set kind of card and would fit in this game because of that. I kind of wished it would've been something like Body Double since you'll be filling their graveyard with the mill, but oh well.
Probably, Clone feels like a classic core set kind of card and would fit in this game because of that. I kind of wished it would've been something like Body Double since you'll be filling their graveyard with the mill, but oh well.

Is that the mill deck tho or does Jace have the mill deck?

My bad, you're right about that. Guess that's what I get for just quickly taking a glance and assuming a clone-effect would be in Jace's deck, a master of illusions planeswalker. Innocent
I just hope they do more expansions, and less plain deck editions.  Considering how much potential money they could make on DLC putting out new games every year, it would really be to their benefit to do so.

The added decks were nice, but the last month and a half or so, thing are getting really stale.  They really need to do more to keep us coming back this time around.  Otherwise, I'll just find something else to spend my points on next time.

My bad, you're right about that. Guess that's what I get for just quickly taking a glance and assuming a clone-effect would be in Jace's deck, a master of illusions planeswalker. 

This exchange is confusing. Are you saying Jace is not the Mill deck?
Because I was under the impression his Blue deck was the Mill Deck.

I made a goof. The picture that was linked had Talrand in it with some kind of "token" of a green creature assumed to be a Clone effect. I didn't see Talrand immediately and just assumed it was Jace's deck, because he seems like the kind of guy who would use clone effects. Since Jace has the mill deck assumed through other pictures, I made the comment about Body Double thinking it would've been a cool addition to the game for a deck that's all about filling other players' graveyards.

In short, Jace is the mill deck and Talrand needs to spoil more of his deck so we can give it an identity.
I made a goof. The picture that was linked had Talrand in it with some kind of "token" of a green creature assumed to be a Clone effect. I didn't see Talrand immediately and just assumed it was Jace's deck, because he seems like the kind of guy who would use clone effects. Since Jace has the mill deck assumed through other pictures, I made the comment about Body Double thinking it would've been a cool addition to the game for a deck that's all about filling other players' graveyards.

In short, Jace is the mill deck and Talrand needs to spoil more of his deck so we can give it an identity.

Okay, that makes sense.
I'm curious to know where this 4/4 spider is found? I can't see it anywhere.
I'm curious to know where this 4/4 spider is found? I can't see it anywhere.

Screenshot 7 from the Facebook album.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150962...

They're also fully visible on the battlefield at one point in the trailer.

Screenshot 7 from the Facebook album.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150962...

They're also fully visible on the battlefield at one point in the trailer.

Ok, thanks. I see it now.

I agree the card looks like a spider. That is has reach and vigilance, but I'm not sure about the power and toughness. I can't see the numbers very well, but they don't seem to be the same.

Edit: In HD, the spider really is a 4/4 creature. Awkward, but true.

Something is very fishy with this spider. A commom card, 4/4, with reach and vigilance for just 3GG.

It's too good for its cost and class. Something is very wrong here, this card should be at least an uncommon.

I have to see it to believe.
Something is very fishy with this spider. A commom card, 4/4, with reach and vigilance for just 3GG.

It's too good for its cost and class. Something is very wrong here, this card should be at least an uncommon.

I have to see it to believe.

It's good, but it's not that crazy for a green creature. At times, they push what the lower rarities can get away with and this seems reasonable for a higher power common. If you want too good for it's rarity, in the past they really made some mistakes with things like Rolling Thunder and Capsize (they even printed Pestilence at common for a set). Those were ridiculous printings.

Could also be from the new Planechase set if they are going to add a few new commons there. With those stand alone sets, they kind of get a little more room to print things they normally can't in a block set. 
The spider isn't form Planechase'12. All the new cards from the set are known already.

Regarding it's rarity, I like to think this way: The only difference between this spider and Serra Angel is one ability. Since Flying is better than reach and Serra Angel is uncommon, the natural rarity for the spider is commom.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

The spider isn't form Planechase'12. All the new cards from the set are known already.

Regarding it's rarity, I like to think this way: The only difference between this spider and Serra Angel is one ability. Since Flying is better than reach and Serra Angel is uncommon, the natural rarity for the spider is commom.

Good to know about the Planechase thing, I wasn't really paying attention to the spoilers so I didn't know how many new cards they were adding with it.

Rarity is an interesting concept to look at when dealing with cards by the way. Typically, the more basic the ability, the more likely it'll be printed at the lower rarity. Unless the card gets really efficient, then you'll see cards bumped up in rarity. Also, a set's speed helps determine the rarity some cards get. Pelakka Wurm feels like it could've be a rare, and something like Ulamog's Crusher never seemed printable at common. But Rise of the Eldrazi was made to be this slow and "big" set, that these kinds of rarities were deemed appropriate for these kinds of cards. It's great that R&D always seems to surprise us every now and then.

I'm just glad this Spider exists too, because I'm a sucker for great commons and he's definately going into my cube when he's printed assuming these stats are correct.

Its impossible to have rarity reflect the usefulness of a card, all it means is how hard it is to get said card. A recent one is Snapcaster Mage, its a rare, and better then any other rare in the Innistrad Block imo. Maybe the land Cavern of Souls is second to it, its debatable.

Btw price these rares compared to other rares, we wont ever have what was mentioned earlier.

Runechanter's Pike is a good (accurate rarity imo) recent rare, it's also worth 3-5% of the cards listed above.

gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details....

idk why the picture isnt linking correctly, whatever lol
Its impossible to have rarity reflect the usefulness of a card, all it means is how hard it is to get said card.

I wish that is the real truth, but unfortunately it's not.

Example:

Starlit Angel - Common
Serra Angel - Uncommom
Herald of War - Rare
Baneslayer Angel - Mythic

I know there are some exceptions, but the rule is very simple to follow.
There are so many cards, its easy to come up with some examples on how rarity = power, and vice versa. However, it usually doesn't, there are so many bad rares and great uncommons etc, too many cards to give a final answer on it.

Also, there weren't always mythics since Magic began, which makes it even more clunky.