Question about land cards

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I play a Kesig Wolf Run and a tap it to add a basic land card to my mana pool can I pull that out of my library does it strictly come from the hand?  I need someone to settle this dispute for me.
It adds a colorless mana to your mana pool. It doesn't allow you to search your deck for an additional land, nor does it allow you to play additional lands from your hand. You don't add lands to your mana pool. You tap lands to add mana to your mana pool and that mana is what you spend to cast spells or activate abilities.

Consider the card Llanowar Elves. It's ability is identical to that of a basic Forest. They both tap to provide you with green mana.

I’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Lands are not mana, just like checks are not money.

Imagine that lands are like checks, mana is like money, and the mana pool is like your checking account.

When you deposit a check, you add money to your bank account.  When you tap a land, you add mana to your mana pool.

When you buy something online or receive a direct deposit, the bank agents do not break into your house and search your room looking for your checkbook.  Instead, the money is simply added or subtracted from your bank account.

When a spell or ability produces mana, you do not search your library looking for land.  Instead, the mana is simply added or subtracted from your mana pool.

Kessig Wolf Run does not get you land.  It taps to put one colorless mana into your mana pool, which you can spend on spells or abiliies.  Abilities that get you land are templated like those on Evolving Wilds.

Is that a bit clearer?
Lands are not mana, just like checks are not money.

I like this allegory better:
mana is not land just like milk is not cow

cheques and money are too abstract ;)

proud member of the 2011 community team
Land is not mana. I wish they still had ": Add c to your mana pool." on basic lands. Nobody got confused then.

No, land is not mana and mana is not land. You're adding one colorless mana, which can only be used for colorless costs.

Also, as a rule, no modern land will be strictly better than a basic.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments