Units of Measurement

Here's my immediate feedback, I hate converting in the middle of a game. Give me a relevant unit of measurement. Squares (or inches in older editions) worked great. I found converting from feet to inches to be an unnecessary annoyance in 3e and it's still annoying now.

Of course we're going to get people jumping into this thread arguing about how it's not a big deal and it isn't hard to do. Well of course it isn't hard. Neither was THAC0, but it wasn't simple or intuitive either. Why would I need to know how many feet it is? If I'm working with a map and minis, feet are not the unit of measurement, I need squares or inches. If I'm working without a map and minis, then everything is more abstract anyway, but I probably at least have a small DM map sketched out that I can work with, so squares/inches still works for me. And of course that's not even getting into anyone that doesn't use feet in their country. Heck, I live in the US and I still prefer the metric system.

EDIT: I'm now in favor of some of the suggestions below, where 1 square = 1 meter/yard. It seems to favor both sides and works no matter what system of measurement you use. WotC, the 5' = 1 square has been around for a little while now, but I think this is a perfect time to change it, and it's close enough that I don't think it should cause any serious issues.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
5' = square
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
5' = square


Thank you for an exceedingly unhelpful and noncontributing post.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Yeah, and people who don't use miniatures don't want to see an arbitrary measurement like "squares" on their character sheet.

5'=a Square. You have to add numbers every time you roll a die, so why complain about this?

You really think that "1 square" is a more relevant unit of measurement than 5 feet? 
5' = square


Thank you for an exceedingly unhelpful and noncontributing post.


Well, what's your actual solution?  What would really make you happy?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I'm really not sure there's anything you can do. Unless you're playing the game on a life-size mat, you're going to have to do conversions at some point. I guess you could just describe all rooms as being 3 squares long and 5 squares wide  and so on if you want to.

I don't think there's a realistic solution to your problem.
Yeah, and people who don't use miniatures don't want to see an arbitrary measurement like "squares" on their character sheet.

5'=a Square. You have to add numbers every time you roll a die, so why complain about this?

You really think that "1 square" is a more relevant unit of measurement than 5 feet? 


Yes. Because I can use squares/inches with or without minis and no matter whether I live in the US or Europe. It seems more universal.

Conversely, why would you care if it was squares? Since you suggest that I shouldn't be bothered by doing the conversion, you wouldn't be bothered having to do it in reverse, would you?
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Well, what's your actual solution?  What would really make you happy?


I'm sorry, I thought my solution was clear. I prefer listing movement rates, ranges, etc. in squares/inches. Like I said, that has been exceedingly simple to use regardless of whether I was using a battlemap or just narrating the battle.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I know how to convert.
I did this before.
But I don't want to wait the translated book to play.
And I use miniatures, the squares was much easier.
I don't want to every single roll, attack, spell and etc do the conversion.
;)
it's a playtest, and I just said what i prefer.
Inches confuse the scale, take the longest time to convert into real distances, and generally make no sense as they represent the arbitrary size of squares on a game mat.

Squares make the game seem as if it is supposed to be played on a grid and no other way, and are easy to convert into real distances.

Feet represent the actual distance being described, and are easily converted into squares; though longer distances take a little more time. 

Out of the three options, using feet seems to be the easiest overall. Most of the world uses the metric system, so just use meters in the non-US versions of the books. You could list distances as 25' [5], but with the amount of distances listed in many books, you would end up with less content by using up an extra six or seven pages constantly dividing by five for people.  
I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 
I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 



THIS!

In fact, you don't have to call it anything. Just units. 1" squares, meters, yards... choose your poison! This seems pretty efficient to me and simple. How could anyone complain?

_______________________ Why Pace Should be the Universal Unit for D&D Next http://community.wizards.com/padraigmac/blog/2012/05/29/why_pace_should_be_the_universal_unit_for_dd_next
Yeah, and people who don't use miniatures don't want to see an arbitrary measurement like "squares" on their character sheet.

5'=a Square. You have to add numbers every time you roll a die, so why complain about this?

You really think that "1 square" is a more relevant unit of measurement than 5 feet? 


Yes. Because I can use squares/inches with or without minis and no matter whether I live in the US or Europe. It seems more universal.

Conversely, why would you care if it was squares? Since you suggest that I shouldn't be bothered by doing the conversion, you wouldn't be bothered having to do it in reverse, would you?



Because "Squares" only applies to people who use a gameboard, whereas a real unit of measurement is universal.

If I'm DMing a game, and it's all in our imagination, saying "The kobold is 3 squares away" is stupid.

I know how to convert.
I did this before.
But I don't want to wait the translated book to play.
And I use miniatures, the squares was much easier.
I don't want to every single roll, attack, spell and etc do the conversion.
;)
it's a playtest, and I just said what i prefer.



The problem here is that D&DNext is being designed so that miniatures and gamemats are completely optional. There are a large number of players who don't use a gamemat, and if measurements are in squares, they can't play the game.

Also, having the measurements set in feet allows you to make maps to a different scale. Maybe you want a map where 1 square is 10 feet, or 1 square is 1 foot. What would you do then? If the measurements were in squares, everyone would be forced into playing with a standardized Game-Mat... i.e., 4th Edition.

The system has to work for everyone, not just you.

You're doing math anyway. Why is a 5 foot conversion so difficult? Knowing that 1 square=5 feet shouldn't even be a conscious calculation...instead of counting by 1s as you move, just count by 5s. Most people learn to count by 5s by the time they're 5 or 6 years old.

D&D has always involved math...you'd better get used to doing some. 
Squares only make sense on a game board. How many squares tall is that cliff? What about that giant? How many squares long is your sword? It just doesn't make sense to use this gamist measurement for a roleplaying game.
IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/2.jpg)
That's because you're mixing up fluff and mechanics cruxador.

As a DM, I like to be able to have a straight idea of how many game-units my monsters can move, how far their attacks propagate, and I don't want to have to convert between inches, feet, and game-units on the fly. Nor do I want to spend time before the game noting all those conversions.


I'm not going to tell a player 'your sword is 1.5 squares long' because that's not information we need to convert.

Your sword is 3 ft long, say, or 2 ft or 1 ft. It's a dagger, it's short. Maybe it's fifteen inches. Who cares?


Your examples are really discongruent to be honest.

How high is that cliff?

Well, on my little map behind the DM screen, maybe it says "100 ft (20 squares)". Then there's no need to do conversion, and I can tell the players what they want to know, while still knowing what *I* as the DM need to know.


Zenmonkey has an interesting, if backwards point, actually.


He says "What if you want a game where 1 square is x distance, or 1 square is Y distance... blah blah blah you have to get rid of squares"- but this is actually kind of backwards.


Having a game unit with variable value means that you can have modules that reference that game unit in a way that's easy and simple to understand.


Since a lot of people seem to start frothing at the mouth when someone mentions any given term from 4E, let's pick something that's not from any edition of D&D, and call our movement units... movement units.


Each 'square' is 1 MU on my gridmap. Each hex on my hexmap is similarly 1 MU (as an aside, try playing on a hexmap for you tactical guys. It's hilarious)

The standard length of an MU in the core module is 5 feet.


From here on out, distances are stated in movement units. That house is 5 MU's tall. That ship is 20 MU's long.


My fighter can move 25 ft per move. At the begining of the game we decide what scale we're playing at- the world is measured in imperial, so we'll go with feet. 25 ft per move is 5 MU's. I ask each of my players to note this on their character sheets.


Then we play the game as normal. A player asks me how far away the boat is, and I consult my map. It's 6 MU's. He looks at his sheet, and sees that he has a speed of 4 MU's per move. So he double moves, taking a jump to launch off the pier and land on the deck of the ship. It plays out like classic 4E style combat.



But what if I want a map where each movement unit is an inch? My players are giants, and they have a speed of 25 feet per turn. Before the game starts, we convert speed to movement units. Twelve inches in a foot means that the 25 ft/turn speed player can cover a distance of 300 movement units. When it's that player's move, he knows how far on the map he can move.



And that's why we need a movement unit. Zenmonkey is absolutely right that different DMs and players will want to play at different scales, but he's absolutely wrong that we shouldn't have a movement unit to do so- because without one then you're converting all the time- if a module is written in meters, and I want to play it in feet, I have to go through and convert all the numbers. That's a lot of work. If my party switches DM's for a week with my brother, and he runs his game where each square is 3 feet not 5, then the players get to deal with the annoying math of trying to fit 25 feet into 16 squares where each square is 3 feet and ending up with math headaches across the table.



If we have a movement unit, everything becomes much simpler. Conversion across different measurements is simply a matter of converting player speed into movement units, (and the same with monster speed or trap speed). Yes, you still need to do a conversion, but it's only one rather than a dozen, as the case may be.
Oh Content, where art thou?
5' = square


Great, I jump 8 feet (1 3/5 squares), break out the measuring tape that breaks things into fifths of an inch.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I prefer 5' = 1 square. I used that measurement since AD&D and its the easiest to convert IMO.

If you jump 8 feet, you jump inside a square within 2 squares of you  easy enought no ? Leave the tape down. Wink


Zenmonkey has an interesting, if backwards point, actually.

*long post*



So many paragraphs, and you still missed my point. It's not just that some people want to play at different scales, it's that some people don't want to use a battlemat, or a grid, or miniatures of any kind.

Squares, MUs, whatever you want to call it, they only make sense on a grid. This game is Battlemap Optional, which means the measurement unit has to work for all styles of play.

I never said that feet were the optimal measuring system, but it's better than referencing an arbitrary square (or MU as you call it) that only makes sense when you're looking at a map.

If you're playing (pardon the pretentious term) in the Theater of the Mind, saying that an enemy is 3 squares away, or 5 MUs away, etc., doesn't make any sense.  

D&D Next is about accepting all styles of play, and making a standard measurement system that references a Battlegrid excludes people who don't want to use a battlegrid.

 In 4th Edition, a Battlegrid was required, which is why it made sense to list distances in squares. This is different.

My point wasn't backwards, you just missed my point.

Your entire post talks about all the variety that "MUs" offer on your Map. But not everyone uses a map. If everyone used a map, Squares would be fine. 
Yes. Because I can use squares/inches with or without minis and no matter whether I live in the US or Europe. It seems more universal.




Dungeons and Dragons is a game developed in the United States by citizens of this country. As such, cultural products (like D&D) developed in this country will reflect it's culture. You wouldn't ask any other country to arbitrarily come up with a "universal" measurement.


Conversely, why would you care if it was squares? Since you suggest that I shouldn't be bothered by doing the conversion, you wouldn't be bothered having to do it in reverse, would you?



Just like THAC0 is "unintuitive" for you, squares is "unintuitive" for those who don't play with a battlegrid.

Also, and more importantly, the baseline game of 5e (so far) does not mandate or assume any one group is using a grid.

To list measurements in squares would presume that every group is using a grid.
Learn about Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty Free Market Capitalism is the truest, and best hope for man kind. IMAGE(http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rumek_Testament/NeoGrognardextracroped.jpg) Visit my blog at: www.theneogrognard.blogspot.com


Just like THAC0 is "unintuitive" for you, squares is "unintuitive" for those who don't play with a battlegrid.

Also, and more importantly, the baseline game of 5e (so far) does not mandate or assume any one group is using a grid.

To list measurements in squares would presume that every group is using a grid.



Thank you. A lot of people don't seem to understand that not everyone plays on a grid. WotC have confirmed in interviews, and even on their official podcast, that a battlegrid is NEVER required with 5e, and will never be required in any module they sell for 5e.

Squares don't work for people without battlegrids, therefore, they don't work for 5e. 
WotC please use both measurements. After each feet place the number of squares in brackets behind it so it's a quick reference for everyone who likes grids.


Like:

25 feet (5)
50 ft (10)


ect.
Here's my immediate feedback, I hate converting in the middle of a game. Give me a relevant unit of measurement. Squares (or inches in older editions) worked great. I found converting from feet to inches to be an unnecessary annoyance in 3e and it's still annoying now.

Of course we're going to get people jumping into this thread arguing about how it's not a big deal and it isn't hard to do. Well of course it isn't hard. Neither was THAC0, but it wasn't simple or intuitive either. Why would I need to know how many feet it is? If I'm working with a map and minis, feet are not the unit of measurement, I need squares or inches. If I'm working without a map and minis, then everything is more abstract anyway, but I probably at least have a small DM map sketched out that I can work with, so squares/inches still works for me. And of course that's not even getting into anyone that doesn't use feet in their country. Heck, I live in the US and I still prefer the metric system.

HI, with my group (we'r from italy and we mainly roleplay 4e), we reduced the american 5 foot (1.5 meter) to 1 meter. so we actually have 1 square = 1 meter, and then we could have the same. it could be the same for american measure units, if they would use 1 yard = 1 square (1 yard is almost 1 meter) and remove the foot.

ps. if you measure the 1 meter and draw a box and try to stand in it and imagine to have both a one hand sword + shield or a doulbe hand axe, it's not so bad (medium creature reach is good too). even a big 2,2 meters tall goliath could stand in 1 square meter. eventually we increased the reach for taller creatures, leaving the creature space as 1m x 1m.

at least this for us, was a very good way to improve our roleplay understanding of visual distance and convert easily squares shown in rulebooks directly.

ps. it help even with dungeon, allowing you to split a single sheet "square" (dunno how to tell in english) in 2 and have 4 dungeon meters with just 2 sheet square. this allows to create bigger dungeons corridoors and rooms with less drawing space
I prefer 5' = 1 square. I used that measurement since AD&D and its the easiest to convert IMO.

If you jump 8 feet, you jump inside a square within 2 squares of you  easy enought no ? Leave the tape down. 


Indeed, so why not just use squares? Multiplying by five is easier than dividing by five, and measurements as a whole are really only relevant if you're using a grid anyway. Like yeah, gridless players need some sort of reference point, but otherwise determining things like whether you can make it to melee range of a bandit or if the cultist is in your crossbow's short range is a matter of "sure, why not" vs. "not quite." Hell, I'd settle for both units being listed alongside each other.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I prefer 5' = 1 square. I used that measurement since AD&D and its the easiest to convert IMO.

If you jump 8 feet, you jump inside a square within 2 squares of you  easy enought no ? Leave the tape down. 


Indeed, so why not just use squares? Multiplying by five is easier than dividing by five, and measurements as a whole are really only relevant if you're using a grid anyway. Like yeah, gridless players need some sort of reference point, but otherwise determining things like whether you can make it to melee range of a bandit or if the cultist is in your crossbow's short range is a matter of "sure, why not" vs. "not quite." Hell, I'd settle for both units being listed alongside each other.



Measurements are valid outside of a grid.

"The Kobold is 30 feet away from you."
"I walk up to the Kobold and attack."
"Okay, roll for attack."

or

"The Kobold is 40 feet away from you"
"I move 25 feet closer to the Kobold, and shoot him with my crossbow."

You still need the measurements if you're not using a grid, and using squares in that situation wouldn't work. 
maybe the simple notation 5 feet/1
 
and in the digital tools you have option to set this notation to any kind of unit you like.
 
the game should stick to multiples of 5 feet as much as posible for those who want to convert to squares, hexes, inches.
conversion gets more complecated when they also start using the yard.

 
I prefer 5' = 1 square. I used that measurement since AD&D and its the easiest to convert IMO.

If you jump 8 feet, you jump inside a square within 2 squares of you  easy enought no ? Leave the tape down. 


Indeed, so why not just use squares? Multiplying by five is easier than dividing by five, and measurements as a whole are really only relevant if you're using a grid anyway. Like yeah, gridless players need some sort of reference point, but otherwise determining things like whether you can make it to melee range of a bandit or if the cultist is in your crossbow's short range is a matter of "sure, why not" vs. "not quite." Hell, I'd settle for both units being listed alongside each other.



Measurements are valid outside of a grid.

"The Kobold is 30 feet away from you."
"I walk up to the Kobold and attack."
"Okay, roll for attack."

or

"The Kobold is 40 feet away from you"
"I move 25 feet closer to the Kobold, and shoot him with my crossbow."

You still need the measurements if you're not using a grid, and using squares in that situation wouldn't work. 



"The Kobold is 6 squares away from you."
"I walk up to the kobold and attack."

"The Kobold is 8 squares away."
"I move 5 squares closer and shoot him with my crossbow."

Blam.
 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
or you should fully embrace the yard.

1 yard = about 1 meter
on a tabletop 1 yard = 1 square,inch,hex 
I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 



THIS!

In fact, you don't have to call it anything. Just units. 1" squares, meters, yards... choose your poison! This seems pretty efficient to me and simple. How could anyone complain?


I think this is the best idea so far. I second this. It's a seamless transition no matter how you are playing. Each unit is squares if you're using a battlemat, and yards or meters (because do we really need to get hung up on the 3" of difference there?) if you are narrating. I think that is perfect.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 



THIS!

In fact, you don't have to call it anything. Just units. 1" squares, meters, yards... choose your poison! This seems pretty efficient to me and simple. How could anyone complain?




This is what I though too. It makes so much sense. You just put every measurement in "units" of 1 and you can use whatever you need : 1 meter, 1 yard, 1 square, 1 inch. It just makes too much sense than it cannot be any other way...


Zenmonkey has an interesting, if backwards point, actually.

*long post*



So many paragraphs, and you still missed my point. It's not just that some people want to play at different scales, it's that some people don't want to use a battlemat, or a grid, or miniatures of any kind.

Squares, MUs, whatever you want to call it, they only make sense on a grid. This game is Battlemap Optional, which means the measurement unit has to work for all styles of play.

I never said that feet were the optimal measuring system, but it's better than referencing an arbitrary square (or MU as you call it) that only makes sense when you're looking at a map.

If you're playing (pardon the pretentious term) in the Theater of the Mind, saying that an enemy is 3 squares away, or 5 MUs away, etc., doesn't make any sense.  

D&D Next is about accepting all styles of play, and making a standard measurement system that references a Battlegrid excludes people who don't want to use a battlegrid.

 In 4th Edition, a Battlegrid was required, which is why it made sense to list distances in squares. This is different.

My point wasn't backwards, you just missed my point.

Your entire post talks about all the variety that "MUs" offer on your Map. But not everyone uses a map. If everyone used a map, Squares would be fine. 




And you completely missed the part where I said *for the benefit of the DM*


My players aren't necessarily too fond of using a battlegrid, but they suffered through it duirng 4E.

But as a DM, I like to know where everyone is, even if we play in the theater of the mind. Having some sort of established unit in the material that I can use for on the fly conversions, rather than doing big number to number maths, means that, as a DM, I can have that option.


If you don't want to use maps, or distances, or discrete values than you can ignore the entire section. Player speed is still in feet/meters/whatever. MU's are there to cut down on the amount of math you need to do if you're the sort to do that sort of thing.


If you aren't, you can easily ignore it.



But it's far more difficult to come up with all the math conversions all the time, then it is to ignore the math conversions that are already in place.

You don't want MU's? Stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and go "Nananana I can't hear you!"

Oh Content, where art thou?

I don't ever want to see another version of the game were the baseline assumption of the game is that players will use a grid/map, and where measurements are catered towards the use of such a grid/map via effects which are measured in such gamist measurements as squares or inches. The baseline assumption should be theater of the mind (which is what D&D Next has done by making measurements appear in an in world/in game format). People who want to use a map should be able to do so, but they should also have to convert the theater of the mind measurements to something that fits their chosen grid/map. 


I MUCH prefer the system as is, thank you!


I don't ever want to see another version of the game were the baseline assumption of the game is that players will use a grid/map, and where measurements are catered towards the use of such a grid/map via effects which are measured in such gamist measurements as squares or inches. The baseline assumption should be theater of the mind (which is what D&D Next has done by making measurements appear in an in world/in game format). People who want to use a map should be able to do so, but they should also have to convert the theater of the mind measurements to something that fits their chosen grid/map. 


I MUCH prefer the system as is, thank you!




I don't see why people hate knowing what's actually going on in combat so much (not that you don't without a grid, but I mean all a grid is is a perfect representation of the various measurements), but regardless it's all in your heads anyway, so why are the units so important?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 



THIS!

In fact, you don't have to call it anything. Just units. 1" squares, meters, yards... choose your poison! This seems pretty efficient to me and simple. How could anyone complain?




This is what I though too. It makes so much sense. You just put every measurement in "units" of 1 and you can use whatever you need : 1 meter, 1 yard, 1 square, 1 inch. It just makes too much sense than it cannot be any other way...



I like this!

I had this idea about a year ago: instead of 5' increments, one square equals 1 meter (approx. 3').  This works out beautifully if you look at the maps that are drawn and the scale of the miniatures.  I saw a drawn map where a grave was just shy of 1x2 squares.  Since when is a grave 5'x10'?  It's much closer to 1x2 meters/ 3'x6'.  Also, miniatures of people that are supposedly somewhere between 5 and 6 feet tall tend to be closer to 2 inches tall than 1 inch.  
Lastly, 1 meter being equivalent to 1 square is a 1:1 ratio, which requires no conversion!  It's beautiful!  And if you want to do theatre of the mind and you don't have a good idea of what 1 meter is, 3 foot conversions isn't all that difficult. 
I suggest 1 meter over 1 yard because it is more universally recognizable.  Plus, the metric system simply makes sense!  Down with the Imperial system! :P 



THIS!

In fact, you don't have to call it anything. Just units. 1" squares, meters, yards... choose your poison! This seems pretty efficient to me and simple. How could anyone complain?




This is what I though too. It makes so much sense. You just put every measurement in "units" of 1 and you can use whatever you need : 1 meter, 1 yard, 1 square, 1 inch. It just makes too much sense than it cannot be any other way...



I like this!




I like it too!Or,please,at very least near each distance and weight put brackets with metric units conversions. this way we can have a international english version without any work,and i really doubt the localized versions will sell less because of just that feature
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.



And you completely missed the part where I said *for the benefit of the DM*


My players aren't necessarily too fond of using a battlegrid, but they suffered through it duirng 4E.

But as a DM, I like to know where everyone is, even if we play in the theater of the mind. Having some sort of established unit in the material that I can use for on the fly conversions, rather than doing big number to number maths, means that, as a DM, I can have that option.


If you don't want to use maps, or distances, or discrete values than you can ignore the entire section. Player speed is still in feet/meters/whatever. MU's are there to cut down on the amount of math you need to do if you're the sort to do that sort of thing.


If you aren't, you can easily ignore it.



But it's far more difficult to come up with all the math conversions all the time, then it is to ignore the math conversions that are already in place.

You don't want MU's? Stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and go "Nananana I can't hear you!"




You already have that...5'=1 square, or whatever you want it to equal. It sounds like we're arguing with each other, even though we kind of agree. I still think that there should be a standard square to feet measurement...which this system has. I'm not saying we need to get rid of squares, because obviously a battlemat needs them. I just don't think that ALL distances should be listed as squares.

The other side of the coin here is that if the OP gets his way, and all measurements are in squares, then you won't be able to change the distance that one square represents.

After reading your post, it seems like we mostly agree. Why are we fighting?

WotC please use both measurements. After each feet place the number of squares in brackets behind it so it's a quick reference for everyone who likes grids.


Like:

25 feet (5)
50 ft (10)


ect.



This, a million times.

I totally support the idea of listing distances in generic "units".  Have the unit equal a square, a yard or a meter as table preferance.  This should make it easy for everyone, and friendlier to our players from outside the US.  It is not like this is a totally new concept.  We already use the idea of rounds as a measure of time.  If I ask how long it will take for the goblin to get to me, I will more likely get a response of "two rounds" than "twelve seconds".  Just do the same thing for distance.
Indeed, so why not just use squares?


Because its more intuitive in my opinion to describe this in ''in-game'' term (in feet) than in ''out-of-game'' term (in square) and easier on Gridless.
WotC please use both measurements. After each feet place the number of squares in brackets behind it so it's a quick reference for everyone who likes grids.


Like:

25 feet (5)
50 ft (10)


ect.



I would rather they didn't turn D&D into the Quebec of RPGs, where every word written down in public view has to have a translation so as not to offend people. 
I would rather they didn't turn D&D into the Quebec of RPGs, where every word written down in public view has to have a translation so as not to offend people. 



Agreed 100%

Learn about Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty Free Market Capitalism is the truest, and best hope for man kind. IMAGE(http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/Rumek_Testament/NeoGrognardextracroped.jpg) Visit my blog at: www.theneogrognard.blogspot.com
Sign In to post comments