Healing word

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Currently healing word seems ok, but not as useful as it could be.
what does everyone think of this version?

Healing Word
1st level conjuration  

Ranged Spell usable once per combat.

Target: Self or ally within 50 feet.

Requires an Action

Effect: Target can use one of its Hit Dice to heal. (possibly add in your magic ability modifier here as well?)
You can then make a melee or ranged attack or cast a minor spell you know. 

better?
Worse?
too much like 4e?

whats everyone think?        

Save the Stargate franchise vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU
I'd prefer the size of the heal be relative to the power of the caster, not the power of the target. So my vote is worse.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Just let it add caster's magic modifier and I think it's fine as is.
Yea that was a thought I had as well, I think the Magic modifier should be added into all healing spells IE: Cure light wounds, Healing word, ETC.

Using the target's hit die for healing spells was mentioned in another thread, and I like that idea.

However, actually using up one of their hit die sucks. This isn't an encounter power, this is a spell. It's an extremely finite resource that belongs to the cleric. It should be able to heal on it's own, not just reallocate the time a character can use one of their resources.

"Self or ally" isn't needed. I think the terms self, ally, and enemy for targets are gone. You affect creatures, whoever you want, with whatever you want, period. "Friendly creatures" shows up in one spell, that's the only thing I've found that has a problem with certain targets. And thank god IMO. Why tell me who I can and can't do things too? Sometimes you want to keep the enemy alive, or help a bystander who isn't your bro, or use command on a friend so they'll run their stubborn rear out of there. Magic doesn't care who's who, it does what you say.

"Requires an Action" isn't needed either. If it doesn't take an action, or is a reaction, the spell text should specify it. I'm willing to bet that %80-%90 of all spells will just take an action, so saying "Requires an Action" on all of those spells is taking up more space then you're trying to save.

The format I used was not the point of the post, just the idea of the changes, I think you missed the entire point of the thread, however I agree that it should not force you to use your hit-die to heal, it was just a what if, how does this look? I prefer clerics to truely HEAL and not just activate some other mechanic. but thanks for your opinion.
The benefit to Healing Word as written in the rules is that it provides more healing (above and beyond the Hit Dice that a particular character can use to self-heal).  I agree with others that suggest the magic bonus should be added.

A Brave Knight of WTF

I'm ok with Healing Word, although I'm not against fiddling with the numbers slightly if it helps balance things out. Personally I think the idea of having two healing spells, one (Cure Light Wounds) which costs an action and another (Healing Word) which doesn't heal as much but also doesn't cost a full action so you can do both Healing Word and an attack.  And since clerics in DDN cast spells like 3e Sorcerers, having a list of spells to draw on and casting them in whatever combination they like on the fly, this could give some nice flexibility to the cleric in terms of how much time they want to spend healing people.

All in all I like it.  
Just let it add caster's magic modifier and I think it's fine as is.

This.
I think hit dice makes more sense though. Realisticly a fighter does not have more hit points, he's just tougher and better able at ignoring pain. Why does he have effectively spell resistance against heals?
CLW heals more (1d8+modifier) but healing word allows you to do other stuff.

The problem is healing word just doesn't heal enough to matter. On average, it heals only 3.5 points of damage. That's insignificant for a spell that costs a spell slot, even if it lets you do other things on the same turn. If they need to buff CLW too, then so be it, but HW is just too weak as currently written.
Currently healing word seems ok, but not as useful as it could be.
what does everyone think of this version?

Healing Word
1st level conjuration  

Ranged Spell usable once per combat.

Target: Self or ally within 50 feet.

Requires an Action

Effect: Target can use one of its Hit Dice to heal. (possibly add in your magic ability modifier here as well?)
You can then make a melee or ranged attack or cast a minor spell you know. 

better?
Worse?
too much like 4e?

whats everyone think?        

it is magical healing the target should not have to spend hit dice.
so gaind hp as if he spend a HD.

also wat i miss in the healing spells in the playtest is the folowing.

healing word should heal 1d6 per spell slot you use to cast it. 

The problem is healing word just doesn't heal enough to matter. On average, it heals only 3.5 points of damage. That's insignificant for a spell that costs a spell slot, even if it lets you do other things on the same turn. If they need to buff CLW too, then so be it, but HW is just too weak as currently written.

The advantage here is that by using a spell slot you are able to heal a member of your party from a distance and continue to cast other spells or attack etc.

This is valuable not from a quantity of HP standpoint but is highly valuable when you put it into a situation.

The situation is this.  You are stuck at the south door of a room you have previously secured because the door has just been broken down by a band of Orcs.  You are working in coordination with the wizard to hold the entrance.
The North entrance is likewise overrun and the Rogue and fighter are holding that passage.  You have no secondary healer.
During the combat the Fighter drops.
The passage you are holding is 10 ft wide and you only have the wizard to leave to defend it.  Not a good idea.
The other passage is also 10 ft wide and the Rogue no longer has the fighter to hide behind to continue making attacks with advantage.  He will be overrun next round and you will be trapped between two bands of orcs. 
Suddenly this spell is perfect.  Sure it's just a few HP but you know that the fighter has a healing potion or two in his belt that you gave him earlier and that he must have gotten hit for more than he expected was possible.
You cast your spell bringing him up to 2 HP which allows him to spend his action downing the aformentioned potion and he is now back in the battle.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

I'd be happy to see it brought up to at least 1d8. 1d8 healing word vs 1d8 + mod CLW, looks better to me.