Skill System or Lack There-of?

After reading over the rules, I figured I must be blind or something, but I do not remember seeing anything on skills.

As I understand the DM will ask the players to make a appropriate check using whatever modifier seems to relate the best.  I also note that characters have skills that they are trained in. A +3 seems to be the common theme here.

So my question is, are skills now just ability checks that may or may not have associated bonuses depending on what is being rolled?

For lack of a skill list I'd assume the answer is yes unless there is now a Forbidden Lore skill, in which case I'd gladly take Skill Focus for that!
Lots-O-RPG's Played: D&D (Advanced 2nded, 3.0, 3.5, 4thed & Pathfinder), StarWars (RCR & Saga), Scion, Shadowrun (4thed), Call of Cthulhu (Original % & d20), Warhammer, BESM (d20-3.5 compatable), Fudge (Fudge on the fly variant).
After reading over the rules, I figured I must be blind or something, but I do not remember seeing anything on skills.

As I understand the DM will ask the players to make a appropriate check using whatever modifier seems to relate the best.  I also note that characters have skills that they are trained in. A +3 seems to be the common theme here.

So my question is, are skills now just ability checks that may or may not have associated bonuses depending on what is being rolled?

For lack of a skill list I'd assume the answer is yes unless there is now a Forbidden Lore skill, in which case I'd gladly take Skill Focus for that!

Yeah, they've been telling us it would work that way for a while. Basically, instead of checks keying off your skill and gaining a bonus based on the appropriate ability score modifier, it works the other way around now. Also, there isn't a defined skills list, so in theory you could have +3 to, say, cooking, if it fit your background.
This is precisely the type of thing that should be contained in a module ancillary to the core rules, per the (supposed) ddn publishing model.  That way it's there for people who want to know, say, whether your rogue has any expertise levels in fishing or basket weaving, and completely invisible to those who think that's a waste of good RP opportunity.

I like the lack of a skill list. Using ability skills streamlines the game and allows for more accurate ajudication by the DM in a wider variety of scenarios.
Yeah I am very confused by this apparent lack of even a LIST of skills. I appreciate the oppurtinity for DMs to allow other skills, but this is a bit much (or little, as case may be)

Skills are a huge way for characters to be customized, so to totally do away with skill points is very distressing! Please bring give us a more concrete list of skills, and bring some kind of point system back!
I respectfully disagree. While I admittedly haven't DM'd my group through a session, yet, I know that from earlier editions, using the basic 6 ability skills as checks vs DCs are easy interpretation by the DM to adjudicate a wider variety of scenarios. I'm not sure if you ran into it often as a PC or DM in 4e, but there was at least once/game when a PC had to make a check that wasn't really a good fit for any of the items on the skill list. IMO, by explaining what action or area each of the 6 ability skills governs, the checks will go much smoother and be more believable.
Basically, you have skills you say you do, and that reflect your ability scores.  It's a MUCH easier way than having to jump through hoops to get training in odd skills – instead you're just trained in them.  Sometimes you're more trained in them from your background.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

The thing is, once we get the actual backgrounds, one DM can say "in my game, we only use prebuilt backgrounds" another can say "in my game, you can create your own background, but only select skills from the backgrounds that already exist" a third can say "in my game, you can create your own background, and here is my custom list of what skills you can select from" a fourth can say "in my game, you can create your own backgruond, and you can take anything you want as a skill" and a fifth can say "I prefer to just use the ability mods, don't use backgrounds", and they are all playing within the rules. This method actually allows for unlimited customization.
In this case of just using the ability score modifier and relying on bonuses gained from skills in one's background. I hope that there are, in the future, a variety of backgrounds or hopefully backgrounds will provide a variety of skill bonuses to choose from.
Lots-O-RPG's Played: D&D (Advanced 2nded, 3.0, 3.5, 4thed & Pathfinder), StarWars (RCR & Saga), Scion, Shadowrun (4thed), Call of Cthulhu (Original % & d20), Warhammer, BESM (d20-3.5 compatable), Fudge (Fudge on the fly variant).
Yeah I am very confused by this apparent lack of even a LIST of skills. I appreciate the oppurtinity for DMs to allow other skills, but this is a bit much (or little, as case may be)

There isn't a list of skills but there IS a list of "Common Tasks" in the DM Guidelines that is remarkably similar to a skill list (eg common tasks include Balance, Find and Disarm Traps, Search, etc).  Basically while there aren't skills there are still guidelines for accomplishing the same sorts of tasks that the most common skills covered in other editions.

So while there isn't a big skill list on the character sheets the rules you need for the most common "skills" are still in the game.
The thing is, once we get the actual backgrounds, one DM can say "in my game, we only use prebuilt backgrounds" another can say "in my game, you can create your own background, but only select skills from the backgrounds that already exist" a third can say "in my game, you can create your own background, and here is my custom list of what skills you can select from" a fourth can say "in my game, you can create your own backgruond, and you can take anything you want as a skill" and a fifth can say "I prefer to just use the ability mods, don't use backgrounds", and they are all playing within the rules. This method actually allows for unlimited customization.

This is why I LOVE the backgrounds.  They essentially give you a roleplaying feature like the Knight Templar had (getting support and lodging for free from local lords) or the Guttersnipe had (buying and selling at better prices) in 4Essentials Themes, plus a +3 to three skill-type areas that are pretty specific.  It's completely customisable and EXTREMELY easy to make balanced Backgrounds from scratch.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Also keep in mind that there might even be a skill list (or at least a "suggested" skill list), but character creation isn't part of this round of playtests, so it's not included.