Wizard Growth and Scaling

I've always felt that in any given edition (except for 4E), Wizards were either too powerful, or not powerful enough, sometimes with their scaling causing them to start off incredibly underpowered and end up destroying an army with every spell. While I conceptually like the idea of a Wizard that is confined to a limited amount of spells per day, every implementation that I've seen has resulted in Wizards becoming completely worthless once they're out of spells, especially at low levels (in the AD&D game I'm currently playing, we joke that once our Wizard has cast his spell for the day he should just go home).  Based off of what I have seen from the first three levels of Wizard, I like the direction that has been taken to fix this problem, through the implementation of significantly weaker, free spells. I still worry about Wizards becoming far more powerful than any other class come high-level play, but for now I am loving it.

What are your thoughts on Wizards?
The "attack spells" in the wizard's cantrip selection all fill vital roles, and I was happy to see the variety.

There's the low-damage auto-hit attack power, the "Get this thing offa my face!" attack power if something gets too close, and the "I don't really care about damage, but I wanna knock somebody flat on their face until the meatshields get close to it."

This selection presented a wizard who was not only able to handle the more mundane (lol) aspects of his job, but one well-rounded enough to stay useful in a fight long after he burns through his 3 1st level spells for the day. When playing Sorcerors in 3rd edition and 3.5, I was always told that "The cantrips are the key."

Well, finally they are. With cantrips having no limit to how many times they can be called on (No doubt a throwback to the At-Will powers of 4th edition), a wizard is no longer the "Cast one and done" guy. He is a fully formed, vital, contributing member of the team even at 1st level. He fulfills the three main roles of a spellcaster: Damage dealer, debuffer, and utility backup.

-Erico
I, on the other hand, thoroughly dislike it.
First of all, Magic Missile is vastly overpowered: at third level, it does almost as much damage as the other attack spell, but it is also long ranged and automatically hits.
I'm all in favor of auto-damage spells, but not when combined with unlimited uses.

Note that in AD&D, a first level Wizard has the same hit roll as any other first level character, so he's not useless -- he's just less effective than other characters. This is true also for D&D Next -- since the wizard can still attack with a sling or such, there's no reason why he should have the same damage capability as any other character after he has exhausted his spells.

I really enjoyed playing the Wizard as well. I truly believe that they have found at least a good start, the class could definitely use a little tweaking still, but the Wizard felt really good last night. I charred through Kobolds pretty fast so by the time we got to the last room, it didn't take us long to wipe through the whole thing. Ray of Frost got extremely fun for the chieftan, sitting back and keeping him locked down while the Fighter and Moradin War Priest charged him, good times.
Magic Missile is good at level 1, but it does take quite a jump (double) at level 3...  in addition to new spells.  Though shocking grasp doesn't scale at all.
The rogue also (almost) doubles it's damage output.  So they are fine.
Fighter's get +1 damage and 2 extra attacks per day.. hardly anywhere near double.
The cleric only get a new spells.  Radiant Lance doesn't scale at all.

So the real culprit seems to be magic missile itself. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I still don't understand why wizards cannot cast spells in armor but clerics can.  This seems like such a pointless rule that isn't grounded in any sort of legitimate explanation.  It also leads to the old idea of just incapacitating any wizard by putting armor on him or her.  

Separating out rituals sort of like 4th Edition seems like a good idea, so a wizard doesn't have to memorize divination spells and rely only on cantrips to contribute to combat.

And I can't be the only one who detests spell components.  
And I can't be the only one who detests spell components.  

That's only for rituals (or ritual type) spells.

The majority don't have any components.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I still don't understand why wizards cannot cast spells in armor but clerics can.  This seems like such a pointless rule that isn't grounded in any sort of legitimate explanation.  It also leads to the old idea of just incapacitating any wizard by putting armor on him or her.  

At least it prevents the drunk, heavy-armor wizard from being a viable build--no penalty from nonproficient armor due to being drunk anyway, and never makes attack rolls.  And the drunk, heavy-armor cleric has no way to make attacks without attack rolls, and has no at-will buffs.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

First of all, Magic Missile is vastly overpowered: at third level, it does almost as much damage as the other attack spell, but it is also long ranged and automatically hits.

I think they just need to remove the automatic scaling by level in Magic Missile, just let it do its 1d4+1 damage and that's it. None of the other at-will attack spells scale by level, why should Magic Missile?

(Of course it's possible the other at-will spells scale up at higher levels, in which case just let Magic Missile scale at the same rate as the other at-wills. Right now it simply scales way faster than all the other spells.)