Question about Fling

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recently I was playing a game with a group of friends, the scenario is listed below:

Me, controlling two 2/2 Spirit Tokens

Friend, controlling a Demonic Taskmaster, 4/3 Flying Demon.

He attacks with the Demonic Taskmaster, I blocked with my two 2/2 spirit tokens. As I declared blockers, he used Fling, he then sent the four damage towards me, and said that my 2 2/2 spirit tokens were dead as well because combat phase was over.

My question is how can he sacrifice a creature that has already been dealt combat and is technically dead. On the other hand, if he cast fling during the combat phase, killing his creature, then that would mean my creautres are blocking nothing, and would not die, correct?

Just would like to clear this up, before we run into this type of scenario again, thanks!
he would have been correct before M10, the rules have changed since them.
proud member of the 2011 community team
So either scenario, if combat resolved, all creatures would have died and he wouldn't have been able to cast Fling on his already dead creature then right?

And if he cast Fling before combat ended then my creatures would be blocking an already dead creature, therefore taking no damage and being alive still?
Either he gets fling and does not kill your dudes, or he kills your dudes and needs another body to fling.
Gotcha, that sounds a little better than him getting to kill my creatures, and also fling an already dead creature at me for damage. 

Thanks all 
You are correct.  His last chance to cast Fling is during the Declare Blockers step, before the Combat Damge step.

Here are his options based on the cards you've described after you have declared your two 2/2's as blockers:

1. Do nothing during the Declare Blockers Step.  All creatures involved will die.  After combat damage is dealt in the Combat Damage step, it is too late to cast Fling because his creature is dead. 

2. Cast Fling during the Declare Blockers Step.  His creature will be sacrificed, you will take 4 damage.  During the Combat Damage Step, there is no creature on the battlefield to deal damage to the 2/2s, so they live. 

As Enigma said, this type of thing is different from how it used to be pre-M10.  He may be confused if he has been playing for a while.  This rule was changed in 2009.  This is how combat works now. 
510. Combat Damage Step

510.2. Second, all combat damage that's been assigned is dealt simultaneously. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. No player has the chance to cast spells or activate abilities between the time combat damage is assigned and the time it's dealt. This is a change from previous rules.

510.4. Fourth, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

Combat Damage is dealt way before anyone has a chance to cast Fling.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Note, that combat does not end after the combat damage step. There's another step after that, the end of combat step, and only when that step ends does the combat phase end. One could cast Fire at Will in that last step of combat for example, long after combat damage has happened.

Also, if the attacking creature had first strike or double strike, that trick would still work, because with either ability involved, there are two combat damage steps. So he could have his creature deal combat damage to your blocker(s) and Fling it afterwards, before the second combat damage step begins.

I started up my next community draft in the limited forums. This time around the format is Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi. So if you like to draft, come by and share your thoughts.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Sign In to post comments