Question about Shapechange, Polymorph, Assume Supernatural Ability Feat, Pheonix and Immolation

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shapechange and Polymorph both let you change into a specific monster in this case pheonix, but in the Savage Species book there is a feat called "Assume Supernatural Ability" lets say I took that feat with the Pheonix's Immolation ability which lets me use the ability as if I was the pheonix, and popped the immolation ability would I...

A) Resurrect into my polymorph Pheonix the next turn since the ability turns me to ash I don't reshapechange.

B) Resurrect into my Characater Race the next turn

C) Resurrect me into a Pheonix
Assuming that we're talking about the phoenix from the Monster Manual 2, the immolation ability says (after the explosive part):

"This action kills the original phoenix and produces a new one, fully grown and unharmed, from the ashes.  This new bird arrives at the end of the round."

The new phoenix is not your character in any way; it's a new and independent individual with all the normal abilities of a typical adult phoenix (even a natural adult phoenix with class levels would still produce a regular phoenix).  What the immolation ability does is allow you to commit fiery suicide and create a phoenix as your offspring.

However, the creation of that new phoenix from a polymorphed form, wouldn't normally work, since you revert to your original form upon death, meaning that you lose the immolation ability before the new phoenix appears.  You would still burn yourself to ash (since your death only comes as a result of that happening), but there would be no new phoenix created unless the DM specifically allowed the effect to apply after the ability that normally causes it disappears.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Shapechange and Polymorph both let you change into a specific monster in this case pheonix, but in the Savage Species book there is a feat called "Assume Supernatural Ability" lets say I took that feat with the Pheonix's Immolation ability which lets me use the ability as if I was the pheonix, and popped the immolation ability would I...

A) Resurrect into my polymorph Pheonix the next turn since the ability turns me to ash I don't reshapechange.

B) Resurrect into my Characater Race the next turn

C) Resurrect me into a Pheonix

Using this ability would be doing a Daffy Duck ('I can only do it once').

1)  There is no Resurrection.  You just committed suicide.

2)  You were not a phoenix, but only altered your body into the form of a phoenix.  I believe that 3.5 went a little extreme in that direction, but I disagree (a disagreement that goes way back to a letter in an early Dragon magazine).   Since you were not a Phoenix, you will not reproduce as a phoenix, so no new phoenix will result (Slagger_the_Chuul's logic will hold even if you discount mine).

3)  End result, death for you. 
The feat gives me the ability as if I was a pheonix. So if I did this ability I have no doubt a pheonix would show up I would just die. It's not the point that I'm not a pheonix it's the point the ability copies the pheonix ability.