A legality question re: Mimic Vat

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Simply:  If a Commander dies, can its owner choose NOT to put him/her in the Command Zone, and instead exile with the Mimic Vat and then just activate it for a cost of 3, putting out a hasty 1 turn Commander token every turn? 

If so, what happens to the imprinted Commander in the event the Mimic Vat gets destroyed? 

Would it just go back to the Command Zone, and how much would it then cost to recast?  I'm assuming just 2 extra, regardless of how many times the Vat was activated previously.

Even if all is legal...would that be considered too janky, even for Commander?  LOL

Simply:  If a Commander dies, can its owner choose NOT to put him/her in the Command Zone, and instead exile with the Mimic Vat and then just activate it for a cost of 3, putting out a hasty 1 turn Commander token every turn? 

If so, what happens to the imprinted Commander in the event the Mimic Vat gets destroyed? 

Would it just go back to the Command Zone, and how much would it then cost to recast?  I'm assuming just 2 extra, regardless of how many times the Vat was activated previously.

Even if all is legal...would that be considered too janky, even for Commander?  LOL

Nope it would not go back to the command zone. Since you choose to allow it to be exiled once it is exiled it stays exiled barring external shenanigans such as riftsweeper. Destroying the mimic vat does not change which zone the card is in.

Protip don't ever mimicvat your commander if you ever want to cast him again.

Okay...I can see how that would be a high-risk tactic if the opponent has any artifact hate in their deck, ie. any number of red, green, or white spells. 

Thanks for the quick answer!
Out of interest, I take it the tokens wouldn't count toward commander damage either?

I don't see why they wouldn't, seeing as how they're still your Commander...just an imprinted copy.
903.3. Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones. Example: A commander that's been turned face down (due to Ixidron's effect, for example) is still a commander. A commander that's copying another card (due to Cytoshape's effect, for example) is still a commander. A permanent that's copying a commander (such as a Body Double, for example, copying a commander in a player's graveyard) is not a commander.

So no, your token copies will not count towards the 21 total.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

The Commander rule says that you may replace any instance of "exile" or "go to the graveyard" for "going to the command zone". However, if you do choose to exile your commander (mimic vat) you'd have to use something else that interacts with exile in order to bring him/her back. From the top of my mind the only thing that'd work would be [C]Misthollow Griffin[/C], but it's not legendary
Your options are Riftsweeper, Pull from Eternity and Mirror of Fate. You can also restart the game with Karn, as always.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Mimic vat reads that when you replace imprinted cards, the current one goes to the graveyard. So, if my general is on my vat, and I put another creature on it, do I now have the option to put my general back in the command zone, since it's being sent to the graveyard as part of Mimic vat's trigger?
Yes.
That's what I thought. Thanks

So, in response to someone targeting the Vat for destruction, exile, etc. the Vat's controller COULD sac a replacement creature to imprint, thereby sending the Commander safely to the graveyard, due to the stacking rule? 

That is, IF a person was still inclined to imprint their Commander onto the Mimic Vat (I'm not, anymore, so at this point, I'm just playing devil's advocate).....I thought it might be neat to pull off, but if the tokens don't even count toward Commander damage, then the idea loses alot of its practicality.
I thought that if you exiled your commander you could put it in the command zone.  Does that mean that if you exile your commander from the graveyard with this card you can't put it in the command zone?

So, in response to someone targeting the Vat for destruction, exile, etc. the Vat's controller COULD sac a replacement creature to imprint, thereby sending the Commander safely to the graveyard, due to the stacking rule? 

Correct.
I thought that if you exiled your commander you could put it in the command zone.  Does that mean that if you exile your commander from the graveyard with this card you can't put it in the command zone?

This card has to keep him in exile to work.  If you send him to the command zone instead, he's not Imprinted on Mimic Vat and it won't do anything.
You could sac a creature in response if they didn't krosan grip the vat, or if you didn't have a sac outlet.
Cool tech: you can sac a creature to phyrexian tower even in response to a split second spell, because it's a mana ability