Standard vs Not Standard

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone, I recently got in to MTG.  My deck is composed of a lot of M12 cards and I heard that when M13 comes out the M12's won't be standard anymore.  Does that mean I can't play with them anymore in my deck?  Because I really like some of my cards like Angelic Destiny

Also, is there a word for playing a non standard deck?

But most important is my question, can I still use M12 when M13 comes out?   
It depends on whether those cards are reprinted in M13. If Destiny is reprinted in M13 then your M12 copy will also be legal. If it isn't reprinted then your M12 card will not be legal in standard.

Standard is just one of many formats. From Modern to Vintage.

Most players play casually without formats. I often play non-standard cards when i play against friends.
… and then, the squirrels came.

Hello everyone, I recently got in to MTG.  My deck is composed of a lot of M12 cards and I heard that when M13 comes out the M12's won't be standard anymore.

This is not correct. M12 will rotate out of Standard only when Return to Ravnica gets released, in early October. For a few months, both M12 and M13 will be Standard legal at the same time.

Does that mean I can't play with them anymore in my deck?  Because I really like some of my cards like Angelic Destiny

If they are reprinted in a new set, you can keep using an older printing.

Also, is there a word for playing a non standard deck?

There are other formats to play: standard is just the most played one. Extended accepts the four more recent blocks and their core sets; Modern accepts any block starting with Mirrodin block and the core sets starting with 8th Edition; Legacy and Vintage are eternal formats, where cards from any set are allowed (but check their restricted/banned lists!).

Or you can just say you play Casual.

[<o>]
Unless it's specifically designed to play competitively in a non-Standard format (namely Extended, Modern, Legacy or Vintage), you'd just say it's a casual deck.
Am I the only one who thinks any combination of "its becoming a bit overwhelming with all these formats" and "some formats feel a bit restrictive," and "Perhaps starting fresh with formats, and having fewer, but well defined formats would make things less of a cranial nightmare?"

Am I the only one who thinks any combination of "its becoming a bit overwhelming with all these formats" and "some formats feel a bit restrictive," and "Perhaps starting fresh with formats, and having fewer, but well defined formats would make things less of a cranial nightmare?"

Yes. The formats are there because people play them.  As they are, and as people play them, they are plenty balanced as they currently are.  If you don't want to play the formats, then play casual; however, most who play them, like them the way they are.
You are Red/Blue! Copies of Tobias Andrion so far: Twenty Three!! I'm Johnny/Spike. I want to win, but I want to win with fun and awesome deck ideas and/or great card combos.
Considering you don't have to play the formats, you don't really need to worry about them.

There's really only five tournament formats:
Vintage - Everything, cards are restricted instead of banned. (Mostly)
Legacy - Vintage with bans instead of restrictions.
Modern - Everything from 8th Edition/Mirrodin onwards.
Extended - Everything from the last four years.
Standard - Everything from the last two years.

Not that complex.

Although there is a theoretically infinite number of casual formats, those aren't really official so they don't count. (Except Commander, but even that isn't really a tournament format.)
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
The power level is lower in modern than Legacy as well?

As a general rule, the less cards that are legal in a format, the less powerful it is.

Vintage is more powerful than Legacy because you're allowed to run one copy of cards that are banned in Legacy as well as everything that's legal in Legacy.

Legacy is more powerful than Modern because you're allowed to run some cards that are banned in modern but not in legacy, ten years worth of cards that aren't legal in Modern, as well as everything that's legal in Modern.

Modern is more powerful than Extended because you have access to several years of cards that aren't legal in Extended as well as everything that's legal in extended.

Extended is more powerful than Standard because you have access to two years of cards that aren't legal in standard as well as everything that's legal in Standard.

NOTE: It should be obvious, but even though Vintage in general has decks that are more powerful than Legacy decks and so on, that doesn't mean all Vintage Decks beat all Legacy Decks or that all Modern Decks beat all Extended Decks. It just means that on average, if you had a tournament with players running Legacy decks against players running Modern decks, you would expect the Legacy decks to win more often. Of course, that does require the deck to be a good deck. Squire.dec is still terrible, even if it's technically a Modern deck.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Vintage is more powerful than Legacy because you're allowed to run one copy of cards that are banned in Legacy as well as everything that's legal in Legacy.

Not true.  There are cards that are restricted in Vintage that are not banned in Legacy, and there are cards that are banned in Legacy that are not restricted in Vintage.  Legacy is not simply "Vintage with bans."
Standard's just a format, as mentioned.

Constructed formats Except for basic lands and Relentless Rats, all legal cards are restricted to four-of in a constructed format.

Vintage: All black- or white-border sets. Cards which mention exchanging ownership or ante are not. Nor are three other cards for reasons around "annoy the hell out of the judges". Otherwise, the worst a card can be is restricted to one per deck. Tutors are particularly broken in this format.
Legacy: All black- or white-border sets. Same rules for ban, but now rather than restrict to one, overpowered cards are simply banned. This is true for most formats.
Modern: All sets since 8th Edition and Mirrodin.
Extended: The last four "years" of Magic. Four blocks and all Core Sets since. So for instance when the next expansion rotates in, M10 and the Alara block will rotate out. (Extended used to be larger, based on three sets of three blocks, each trio rotating out when the tenth block started rotating in. That has been supplanted by modern. Also because of certain cards.)
Block Constructed: One entire block of expansions.
Standard: The last two blocks of expansions, all Core Sets since. Cards are rarely banned in Standard.

Limited formats No four-of restrictions, but you can only use cards you get before you play other than basic lands. Also, other than basic lands, you keep your cards at the end of the day.

Sealed deck: Six packs, and you can only use cards from them and basic lands. There used to be "tournament packs" but they don't do that anymore. Expect weird variants every year, but other than the Alara block (where you couldn't use two colors of mana that you declared ahead of time) and Mirrodin Besieged (where you had to choose Mirrans or Phyrexians), it doesn't usually impact gameplay in a significant way.
Booster draft: This must be done in groups of 8. Everyone gets three boosters. Everyone opens a booster, picks a card, passes it to the left. Repeat the last two steps until you're out of cards. Then repeat the entire thing, this time passing to the right. Finally, your last booster is passed to the left.

There are also many other non-sanctioned formats. In a couple weeks, Wizards will be releasing cards made specifically for one such format.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt