I'm confused as to why my melee and ranged wepon bonuses don't add up correctly

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my first post to the the forum so thanks in advance for your advice and answers. It's also my first trial of the insiders tool kit subscription. Real quick question: The character sheets in the tools builder are differently designed, much more simple, is there a reason for the character sheet change vs the more complex version in the Players hand book?

Onto the real question:  So I am designing players for the new campaign I will be doing with my boys.  It is important to note, I have not played since D&D 3rd addition years ago but I have read the entire Players Handbook from front to back and a great deal of The Dungeon Masters guide. I have a good understanding of the rules. 

I made a Halfling rouge and the thing that has me confused is that he is using a short sword (+7 vs AC).  According to his STR MOD he gets a +2 but the way he is designed, he has Weapon Finesse which is supposed to use his DEX MOD which is a +4 instead.  Either way, it doesn't add up to 7, so I'm just wondering what I am missing. It's same with the short bow (+6 vs AC) Neither add up.  Does anyone know what else is being added to make those numbers?

Here is the Character summery

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Grimm, level 1
Halfling, Rogue (Thief)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 14

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 16 Will: 12
HP: 25 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Athletics +7, Bluff +7, Intimidate +7, Stealth +9, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +1, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +0, Streetwise +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Halfling Racial Power: Second Chance
Rogue Utility: Backstab
Rogue Utility: Acrobat's Trick
Rogue Utility: Unbalancing Trick

FEATS
Level 1: Disciple of Strength

ITEMS
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Short sword x1
Shortbow
Arrows
====== End ======

Thanks again in advance
LB
Weapon proficiency bonus. All regular weapons in 4e have a proficiency bonus. If you are proficient with the weapon, you add its bonus to your attack roll. If you check the weapon chart, you'll notice short swords get a +3 bonus, shortbows get a +2.
okay, cool, the missing numbers have been found.  Thanks.  That was driving me nuts.  It's all a little overwhelming starting something new but I'm doing this for my boys. The benefits this game has for their mind, team building, puzzle solving and imagination is worth every minute as far as I am concerned.

LB
Congradulations!
You are the 1,000th person who did not notice proficiency bounus.
You win the answer to your question.

This is a very common problem, if you stay on the fourums long enough you could answer the guy who asks next month.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I think that may be the problem with auto building versus useing the book and building the charactor the old fastion way. I would have added the profincy myself but at least now I'm not thinking I'm insane.

LB

One note about the character builder - always make sure you start by clicking to select a custom-made character and a home campaign... This way, you have all the options in the game available.
 If you just hit "make a new character", it will only give you the Essentials material - this is one of the reasons the character sheets in the builder look different than those in the PHB, because the Essentials "sub"-classes are generally much simpler in design and contain less options. For example, most of the martial classes like the slayer and the thief only use basic attacks rather than at-will, encounter or daily powers like their PHB counterparts (the fighter and rogue) do.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Great info, I'm going to try that today.  I was useing the home campaign option but I'm not sure about custome made. I will be trying this. Thanks for the advise on that. Mad_Jack

LB
Mad_Jack,

I just went back to do what you had said.  I had been doing that so that's the good news.  The sheet still looks a lot different though than the standard sheet in the back of the PHB.  Don't get me wrong it is a much cleaner look and less complicating for my boys but less fits on one page so there are more sheets to print.  Is there a reason for this you or someone else may know?

LB
Well, I don't know what the reason is but people have been asking for the return of the original character sheet since this online CB got started and WoTC has published on their "known issues" list that there should be more styles of character sheet for quite some time, but it hasn't happened yet. 

I like the new sheets better, overall, but one of the good things the original sheet had going for it was the fact that it did a breakdown of your defenses and attacks so you could see where those numbers were coming from.  If they added something like that to the new character sheet, or even just to the CB itself but not the sheet, I would be happier.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I completely agree with you RedSiegfried, there are just a few things missing on this sheet that I would be happier if they put back into it.  I do think a companion NPC and NPC generator would be a good addition to the tool set too. The monster builder works well but I do have to adjust the numbers and detail the powers manually.   This isn't a problem but the hardest part is there is no power database available to choose from like in the Character builder so you really have to go looking for the powers yourself.  That part makes it pretty difficult when trying to adjust the numbers for the level.  If there is something like that in the monster creation tool, I have not found it anyway.

LB
Sign In to post comments