[M13-ICD] Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

81 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Legendary Creature - Demon (R)

Flying
Exalted
Whenever Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis attacks alone, defending player sacrifices a creature.

5/5
NOTE: This is the foil rare for the black Magic 2013 Intro pack.
What?

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Yeah, black Exalted is weird. I guess this is where it makes sense, though... pitiful masses worshiping their overlord.
Rules Nut Advisor
Looks like a good replacement for Grave Titan post rotation I also hope this is the new cycle replacing titans seems sweet.

Edit. Didn't see it was legendary now it's much less powerful than I thought but still probably decent as a UB Control finisher after rotation.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Dancing on sunshine, whoa-oa-oa!
>grixis card in core set

also why is this legendary? :/
Huh, so not only are we getting multicolor in a core set, but legendary creature(s), too. This seems to be the intersection point between Exalted and Avacyn Restored's loner theme. Nice distinction from the way Bant handled it. Hope it's not just in black, though, I've got a fun exalted casual deck that could use some new tools.
Exalted in black: bowing to the greater power. I like it. And yeah the sacing a creature on attack (when this would be a 6/6 or more) can me mean. It's a mini eldrazi if it attacks along.

Legend in core set is interesting. Alara shout out is interesting...my interest in this core set is raised. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Grave titan didn't see play? I remember it being in the u/b tezz deck. It was outmatched by caw-blade. But it was used in player of the year match 2 years ago.
-6 cmc
-dies to removal
Anyways, I'll take a moan of the unhallowed on ETB, +1/+1, deathtouch, not being a legend, and giving a moan on every attack instead of an edict, and getting that ability even if it attacks with its buddies over... exalted?

This is a bad grave titan, and grave titan didn't even see any play.  I see no reason to believe that this will, even after rotation.  Oh well, it's time for Niche to pay another visit to Mrs.  Rosewater...

Wait... Grave Titan didn't see any play since when? I think this card is probably good enough in a dedicated control deck like UB once the titans and sphinx rotate.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

-6 cmc
-dies to removal
Anyways, I'll take a moan of the unhallowed on ETB, +1/+1, deathtouch, not being a legend, and giving a moan on every attack instead of an edict, and getting that ability even if it attacks with its buddies over... exalted?

This is a bad grave titan, and grave titan didn't even see any play.  I see no reason to believe that this will, even after rotation.  Oh well, it's time for Niche to pay another visit to Mrs.  Rosewater...

Comparing rare to mythic rare. Comparing a card designed to be ridiculously powerful to one designed for one deck. 

And I'm pretty sure Grave titan saw play plenty, Inferno titan is the only one I don't remeber see a lot of, and even he showed up from time to time. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
-6 cmc
-dies to removal

Comparing rare to mythic rare. Comparing a card designed to be ridiculously powerful to one designed for one deck. 

And I'm pretty sure Grave titan saw play plenty, Inferno titan is the only one I don't remeber see a lot of, and even he showed up from time to time. 

Inferno Titan is showing up right now in a tier 1 deck the least popular titan has always been Frost Titan mainly due to the fact that Consecrated Sphinx is in the same colour and is a much better card.

Inferno Titan is showing up right now in a tier 1 deck the least popular titan has always been Frost Titan mainly due to the fact that Consecrated Sphinx is in the same colour and is a much better card.

Frost Titan was rocking a while back, even before consecrated. It has been a while since it saw major play though. Basically they all saw play: With Prime and Sun being the most consistently played. 
You are Red/Blue!
Grixis?  Legendary in a core set?  Exalted in black?  What on earth is this?
I think it's a good card, though.  Creature sacrifice is pretty good.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Comparing [i]intro pack[/i] rare to mythic rare. Comparing a card designed to be ridiculously powerful to one designed to forever be $1 rare binder fodder.

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
-6 cmc
-dies to removal

Pretty sure this^^ was said in jest guys. We really need an internet sarcasm detector sometimes.

Edit: Also....now we know who Nefarox is!
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I like it.
I'm sad to see move Exalted from Bant to (supposedly) Grixis, my Rafiq deck wanted new toys.
proud member of the 2011 community team
I see they haven't found any new design space with Exalted yet.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Grixis?  Legendary in a core set?  Exalted in black?  What on earth is this?

Don't forget we'll also have gold cards on this same core set!

This is madness, I say! Madness!

[<o>]
Madness is not returning!
Exalted makes scents in black cult followers/worshipers, I like how in core sets there planar chaos-ing old abiltys. Like giving bloodthirst to vampires. Invisible stalker is going to be more fun in the rotation
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
This card is just really cool.
This card is cool but not great.

I like how black stole two core set mechanics in a row.  And it had scry too, though I think it always had scry.
This card is cool but not great.

I like how black stole two core set mechanics in a row.  And it had scry too, though I think it always had scry.

Yeah white is due for some coreset mechanic love.

Scry was artifacts, blue, and black. Bloodthirst was black/red/green. this is black and we don't know yet. Hopefully it'll be white too. 
You are Red/Blue!
Considering exalted was originally white I don't see why not.
Yeah other colors need some old none of the origal color mechanics.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I'm guessing Exalted will be Esper colors. It never made too much sense in green, honestly.
Exalted makes scents in black cult followers/worshipers, I like how in core sets there planar chaos-ing old abiltys. Like giving bloodthirst to vampires. Invisible stalker is going to be more fun in the rotation

Cult followers/worshipers sounds more like part of white than part of Black, with all those religious nuts and whatnot. Exalted does fit a demon like this fairly well though.
I see they haven't found any new design space with Exalted yet.

Returning mechanics in Core Sets aren't supposed to find new design space. That's one of the rules of letting them exist in core sets.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
An Exalted Demon? The flavor's pretty weird....

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I'm really interested to know how many legendaries are going to be in the set, and whether or not they'll all be from Alara.

I think the problem they had with the legends in 10th Ed is that none of the characters were relevant to the current storyline, so it was sending mixed signals.

"Here! have some way cool significant characters!"

"Oh wow, thanks miste-"

"They all died hundreds of years ago!"

"..."
Titans have been confirmed to not come back in M13
not sure what comes in their place
I'd like Hostility, Vigor etc. to come back.
I'm really interested to know how many legendaries are going to be in the set, and whether or not they'll all be from Alara.

I think the problem they had with the legends in 10th Ed is that none of the characters were relevant to the current storyline, so it was sending mixed signals.

"Here! have some way cool significant characters!"

"Oh wow, thanks miste-"

"They all died hundreds of years ago!"

"..."

I loved seeing a bunch of characters from the past show up, and the little booklet that came with the Fat Pack explained who (half) of them were. Between all the Timeshifted cards in Time Spiral, and the Legendaries in Tenth, I got really interesting in the story of the game.

Now if only I could find the old books. I hope they reprint some more, like they did with the Artifacts Cycle.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
not sure what comes in their place
I'd like Hostility, Vigor etc. to come back.

Dunno if i like those 3 colored mana in there but guess its ok too.

Also, I don't think they were heavily played during their STD time. I'm not sure they would be iconic enough to be the poster mythics for the set.

They'd be cool as a cycle of rares, tho. 
There aren't going to be random guys from random planes beyond the storyline.

The push for the core set in cooperation with Duel of the Planewalkers 2013 is all about Bolas and his return into the storyline.
And remember that he used to have a lair and allies from the Grixis, so if he wants to make another grab for power I would assume he is using every asset he has available. 
There aren't going to be random guys from random planes beyond the storyline.

The push for the core set in cooperation with Duel of the Planewalkers 2013 is all about Bolas and his return into the storyline.
And remember that he used to have a lair and allies from the Grixis, so if he wants to make another grab for power I would assume he is using every asset he has available. 

He appeared to very few people on Alara, he mostly used his agents as middlemen.

Which, on Grixis were Malfegor, who is dead; and the Split-Eye Coven, who are far from the most significant influence on the plane.

He would currently have very little direct influence on Grixis.
I disagree, but we will find out.  All we know for certain is Bolas is a huge push for this summer and he use to dwell on Grixis.  Yes the plane has changed but he may have either allies or enemies in the new Grixis, but it has something to do with Bolas.

Rakka Mar was a Jund girl wasn't she? 

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Rakka Mar was a Jund girl wasn't she? 

Indeed she was.
Ajani kind of exploded her.
Sign In to post comments