Who it's important to please right now with this initial release

The most important people to weigh in on these rules are the 1e/2e grognards.   We know that tons more stuff is coming that will allow the game to grow and expand.  But what is released right now, to a degree is important to a specific group that WOTC has not ever had (TSR did but not WOTC).  

I consider myself a hybrid grognard/3e guy.  I'm pretty happy with the rules so far (excepting healing).   I was unsure how backgrounds and themes would work but so far I like what I see (which isn't a lot I agree but conceptually they seem on the right track).   I like more skills but again this is stage 1 not stage 10.   

So I'd like to know what the grognards think?  Phoenix? 

Um....wasn't shafting previous edition players at the unveiling of the new edition one of the exact complaints people had with 4th?
Um....wasn't shafting previous edition players at the unveiling of the new edition one of the exact complaints people had with 4th?

Yeah, and the core system is supposed to appeal to them. So giving feedback as to whether its doing that is important.

That doesn't mean the 4th supporters should shut up, we shouldn't, but Mablok has a point that Wizards needs to know whether the old edition guys are liking the part of the game that will be marketed to them.

Keep giving feedback about what you want to see, just remeber that we're the audience for the modules.

I don't think we're seeing a shafting (yet). The current playtest looks like an alt-universe D&D3, where WotC took Metzner's BEMCI D&D and incorporated bits of AD&D. If you look, there's still 4E in there (for example, Healing Surges Hit Dice). While I'm one of the 4E players who liked the AEDU Fighters, I think that there's a place in it, when other 'modules' (That's gotta be the worst thing to call it, almost as confusing as 'level') drop.

@English
I think you misunderstood me.  

I'm not saying ignore the 3e and 4e players.  I am saying that what we have now is the basic core that is supposed to appeal to the 1e,2e players.  So I am asking if they like it.  I know the 4e and 3e people won't be satisified with what they have so far.  But their needs have not been released to playtest yet.   They are starting with a simple basic foundation and building on top of it over time.

I think though it is valid to comment on some things I don't want to act like nothing applies.  So saying "I don't like rolling saving throws" is probably a valid complaint because if unchanged that will go all the way along.  But saying I don't like that all a fighter has is a basic attack is not valid at this time.  I mean it's ok to mention it in the playtest to let them know I'm not saying that.  I just mean it was never their intention to release all the complexity on day one.  They are hitting the simple basic core first.   And that has to appeal to the grognards.   I am sure that more complexity is coming for the fighter.

I already see a 2/day daily option for a fighter that I'm not liking.  My houserule might be "at the start of each encounter" or "after a critical take an extra action" etc...   Neither of these may balance perfectly though and are just thoughts.

Sorry, was just pointing out the OP seemed poorly worded.
This playtest sure as hell has nothing to do with pleasing people. It's not a preview, it's not a demo, and it's not a completed product. It's asking you, it's inviting you, to playtest it, and tell them what you like and what you don't like. They do want to please you, sure, they want to please everyone, but this playtest is here to facilitate and develop a product to do that. Sometimes you have to get pissed off to do that. All feedback, good and bad, is valueable at this stage in the game, where nothing is set in stone. I kind of wish people would stop treating this as a PR game, it's not. It's pure game development. 
I'm afraid I am a grognard.
I'm playing D&D since more than 30 years and I know all editions. And I guess I'm that cliché: I don't like the direction how D&D has gone from 2 to 3 to 3.5 and finally to 4.

And now my opinion you wanted to know:
I like the playtest packet for 5e. Even though there are many additions from 3e and 4e the packet contains enough "old school" to give me some feeling of coming home. If WotC will keep this direction they will make me happy.

Thanks that you are interested in my opinion. But of course I'm only a single voice.
Smile
I've been playing since oh... '79 or so... but I hate the term "grognard". I played 4e for more than 2 years before switching to Pathfinder, which I find far more enjoyable (and I have never played 3e or 3.5 go figure).

That being said, this new/old system seems very similar to 1st/2nd edition AD&D with a bit of 3.5 (Pathfinder) stuff thrown in. Thematically, flavor-wise it seems VERY old school. Can't complain so far... but I have yet to actually play it.

I'll have more to report after our game on Sunday. Back to the Caves of Chaos after many, many years... nay... DECADES! Surprised
I'm a 1e-2e hybrid fan, always have been and put several years into 3e-4e. We will be receiving the packet shortly and commence playtest. I'll get back to this thread when i can give a clarified/duely assessed opinion.
I'm a  grognard, started with Red Box and AD&D 1983,

And... I like what I'm seeing, playing tomorrow so I will have more to say.

I like Advantage/Disadvantage

Like Vancian

Like simplicity, looks like the battle will flow and not bog down story.

Like the freedom

Like the Magic Items, they are traditional

Like using the core abilities to resovle things

Like the abilities having distinction for example INT should not be used for AC.

I like the way it uses ability scores not just ability mods.

I like some things i see in the monsters like the medusa can turn you to stone with one failed save.

I am not too excited with the bloted starting hit points, but I'm  willing to compromise, and I think this edition is going to be great and many others will like it as well but they are all going to have to compromise in some ways or they just won't arrive.

Happy gaming
I've been playing since oh... '79 or so... but I hate the term "grognard". I played 4e for more than 2 years before switching to Pathfinder, which I find far more enjoyable (and I have never played 3e or 3.5 go figure).

That being said, this new/old system seems very similar to 1st/2nd edition AD&D with a bit of 3.5 (Pathfinder) stuff thrown in. Thematically, flavor-wise it seems VERY old school. Can't complain so far... but I have yet to actually play it.

I'll have more to report after our game on Sunday. Back to the Caves of Chaos after many, many years... nay... DECADES!

Ditto, except I played every edition. Gave up on 4 th after a year and a half and went pathfinder. This playtest packet got my juices flowing for the old school again. I like the mix of 1/2e with some sensible 3/4e sprinkled in.

Keep it up mearls andyou will win my business back from piazo 
Sign In to post comments