Am I missing something?

I'm sitting here reading through this packet and I'm noticing something odd.  Is there any explanation on proficiency bonuses anywhere in the packet that I'm just missing? All of the characters have a higher to hit bonus than their statline would indicate, and I see no indication of any kind of base attack type thing. 

Can someone help me not feel like an idiot? haha
I can only speculate that weapons provide bonuses based on type as they did in 4e. This accounts for attack bonuses being higher than ability mod. 
I never played 4e, and being fairly confident that I wasn't the only one who didn't, I wish they would've included the information in the packet. lol
I think WoTC kept that info vague on purpose. We will Know more when they release the charactor creation playtest.
I certainly hope there is some invisible mechanic that explains why some attacks are higher than they should be and some are lower, even with/without proficiency, than they should be. With the improvised weapons rules, non-proficiency doesn't look like it will have any meaningful penalty either.
Not only do they seem to be a point off, both staff users have -1 to damage, but it is a finesse weapon and they have positive Dex...
Parenthood: Gain rage class feature. While enraged, take ongoing psychic damage equal to half the child's level. Dealing damage while enraged is against your Code of Conduct and you will be depowered.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg)

^^Wow, is that really how I came across in that personality thing or was this chosen at random?
Not only do they seem to be a point off, both staff users have -1 to damage, but it is a finesse weapon and they have positive Dex...

Likely an earlier iteration error, perhaps finesse weapons did not use Dex for damage previously. There are a few other errors / typos in the characters so that they are from a previous iteration seems likely.

"And why the simple mechanics? Two reasons: First, complex mechanics invariably channel and limit the imagination; second, my neurons have better things to do than calculate numbers and refer to charts all evening." -Over the Edge

I am so very glad that I'm not the only one who was thinking this!!! Spent about half an hour trawling 'how to play' 'dm guidelines' and character sheets looking for some hint as to why those numbers did not add up!
Yeah, I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out why that was before deciding there's obviously some math going on that they're not showing us yet, presumably because they haven't nailed it down quite yet.

EDIT: Yeah, could also just be typos on a massive scale. But really, I don't think the precice numbers are all that critical, that's the developers' jobs, not ours. They've made it pretty clear from the very beginning that they want us to make sure the system runs smoothly and feels like D&D, not do the editing and math for them.

Likely an earlier iteration error, perhaps finesse weapons did not use Dex for damage previously. There are a few other errors / typos in the characters so that they are from a previous iteration seems likely.

I know if one of the more recent live chats they spoke of just completely rehauling the weapons table.  I think you are right and in all the last minutes changes and switches a lot of things slipped through the cracks on the character sheets. 

Also, we don't get to see how these characters were generated yet.  So in theory there could be hidden bonuses in things like Schemes, Domains, Class features and etc.
Sign In to post comments